Advanced search  

Poll

Do you like Elves at all?

Yes, I like Elves.
No. Hate them.
I neither hate nor like Elves.
If they bring exotic animals/other useless crap = Diplomatic immunity/Yes

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Elves. Do you like them? ~REEEEEESULTS ARE IN!~  (Read 15363 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Elves. Do you like them? ~REEEEEESULTS ARE IN!~
« on: May 13, 2012, 11:12:24 am »

It's no hidden fact that Elves aren't too popular with bay12, but just how much of bay12 actually despises them?

Why are they so despised, if they don't even bother the Dwarves (too much)?

On a completely unrelated note, I reviewed my Elf-capture upon trading policy... An owl, a bobcat...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Like them... No. But I won't unnecessarily kill them. Neurotoxins are fun.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 03:17:46 pm by Loud Whispers »

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elves. Do you like them?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 11:16:39 am »

Well, I pretend to despise Elves on the forums. Except in Brightwater, where my character is an elf-lover. Go figure.

I only actually kill them when they refuse to trade with me, just because I tried to get away with giving them 1db less profit than they wanted. Then I deconstruct the depot and call my militia.

the_game_hunt

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_MERCY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 11:23:00 am »

I try to trade with them, but if by mistake I trade a wooden item and refuse, I kill them.
The spinning (silk shoe) strikes the Baron in the left upper arm, bruising the skin!
The Baron has been shot and killed.

WARNING! I'm not responsible for damaging/destroying your post!

Connal89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 12:27:28 pm »

Yea I seem to get more or less unlucky on my embarks, no cool wildlife floating in an out. 4 years in a frozen taiga and no polar bears, current embark is a savage tropical broadleaf forest and all I get is bloody giant sparrows and giant grey langurs. So yea the pointy eared bastards are my only source of exotic stuff to let roam around my forest. Of course when they bring a pair of breeding giant eagles or lions they'll have definitely served their purpose and they'll be relieved of whatever I deem worth taking.

I'm just disappointed I cant use elf gear as fuel to melt my goblinite down...that'd be nice and tidy. Either way you need an axe to gather it

lordlp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 12:28:23 pm »

Depends on a few critera. I like them as long as I don't a.) have enough Sun Berries, strawbarries, and wood.

Once that's completed, then the great elven cleansing takes place.. or used for !!SCIENCE!!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 12:30:58 pm »

I honestly don't care.  Elves, human, dwarves.  If they're good then I trade.  If they suck, I have drowning pits in the depot.  Except next time it'll be minecart cannons.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 12:33:08 pm »

they get some diplomatic immunity until I arm my militia, then I kill them, no matter what, I shouldn't let my militia rust, nor having another clothing crisis, nor lacking animals for the zoo/arena, etc...

sometimes they just get me too distracted with valuable stuff, so...

"other"
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 12:37:21 pm by raptorfangamer »
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 12:39:53 pm »

Considering the lumber quotas are gone, they're nowhere near as annoying as they used to be.  If those ever come back, then there's a reason for extermination.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 12:49:18 pm »

df elves are somewhat more interesting than those in most fantasy settings, i generally find them annoying in every other medium, but here as they are somewhat less mary sue material and even are kind of the underdogs, they don't bother me that much. plus, they're cannibals!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 12:59:03 pm »

They used to be a lot worse.  Not only did they complain about Dwarves cutting wood, but they claimed dominion over tower caps, which are giant fungi for Armok's sake.  What's it to them if Dwarves want to sleep on slabs of dried-out mushroom?   :P

I never kill them, but it doesn't bother me much if they get killed by ambushers.  That saves me hauling out any trade goods.

The exotic animals are their good point.  Well, that and the occasional tasty above-ground fruit that can be searched for seeds to grow my own.  Oh, and rope reed cloth if I'm really desperate to make some clothing.  But that usually only happens very early on, when I probably don't have anything to trade for the cloth anyway.  So sometimes the depot turns out to be made of shoddy material.  Sorry about that.  *snicker*

I might change my behavior if they ever start seiging again, but I might not, either.  I find life peaceful during seiges.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 01:11:25 pm »

One word.

Cloth.

Trading with the cloth giving blighters gives me enough cloth and material to start working on trousers, shirts, and shoes for everyone. Without them, I'd have to actually farm pig tails (ick).

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 01:15:15 pm »

Yes. I do all in my power to keep them alive in fact.
Humans are useless.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 01:25:50 pm »

Well if I somehow screw up the trading by offering my gems in a bin then they are dead. Otherwise I just trade with them just like anyone else.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 01:30:35 pm »

I neither like nor dislike elves. They're more useful than Humans, by far in this version. I actually like Goblins more than humans, since the very very very few times they end up trading with my dwarfs, it's a nice way to break up the monotony of fortress management. Also all those goblins they bring with their sieges that fall into cage traps to test my recruits is a nice touch.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 01:33:10 pm »

Yeah, at least elves are the same size.  And they bring a couple fairly valuable raw materials that are somewhat more difficult to produce on your own, cloth and wood, in certain biomes.  Overall, I'm fairly neutral to them.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6