Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: preventing decay of bones  (Read 716 times)

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
preventing decay of bones
« on: May 13, 2012, 06:48:09 am »

I've got a very large custom creature.  When killed and butchered, it produces a large stack of bones.  So large that the entire stack can decay before you can get it moved to be processed, due to being outside of a stockpile for so long.

Is there a tag that prevents just that creature's bones from decaying?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: preventing decay of bones
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 08:41:36 am »

Odd. Creature bones don't decay, AFAIK.

Did you mess with temperature tags in both the bone material and the creature?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 11:48:32 am »

Nope, I didn't mess with that part.

In that fort, there was a large distance between the refuse stockpile for bones and the workshop, and between the stockpile and the butcher.  The bones are a bit lighter than silver, so rather heavy.  The stack was around 200-300 if I remember right (been a while since I ran into that creature).  The stack kept vanishing between moving from the stockpile to be used at the workshop.  I assumed it was because it decayed while outside of a stockpile, like much of the rest of the animal would.

I made one item out of the stack, using DFHack to Dump it right outside the workshop.  And that finished item never decayed.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 02:25:05 pm »

Odd. Creature bones don't decay, AFAIK.
I'm fairly certain if they are left outside (regardless of refuse pile or not), then they decay over a couple of years or so. That's just a stack of bones mind you, a skeleton follows a whole separate set of rules.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.