Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Early fortress megabeasts… with a twist!  (Read 9889 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Early fortress megabeasts… with a twist!
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2012, 07:36:30 pm »

Then ithought maybe you could attract certain monsters- minotaurs, medasue- by equipping a zone appropriately.  While not friendly, they might be content to sit in the labyrinth or necromancers tower rather than invade.  I was thinking it could be zone based.  Build a horde in a tall tower, when a dragon comes, it might move in.  While such creatures wouldn't necessarily halt a siege, they are alive and MIT do helpful things.  Or eat a dwarven caravan.
This sounds neat. Aside from applying a spell which attracts the critters magically, though, you'd need to be attracting a sapient creature who hears of it. Attracting hydras or rocs or something would be pretty hard.

This also gave me another idea: Wandering adventurers and mercenaries. Say you're in an evil biome. One day, a group of crusaders stops by your fort and offers their services for a year in exchange of a place to stay. You can't control them, but they're all really good military dwarves and they'd be off after a year, or if you actively decide to kill them or something. If you decide to turn them away, then they'd just pack up and go. Some mercenaries and adventurers wouldn't be so nice though; if you don't let them stay, they'd attack you.
They should walk around the fort punching people and kicking pets, causing unhappy thoughts.
Maybe, but I think most of my adventurers would rather screw with delicate stuff (i.e, deconstruct random buildings, especially mechanical stuff, pressure plates, etc) or just kill everything if they were angry, rather than randomly attack people nonlethally. This is, of course, ignoring the possibility of "roughing up" a fortress with the implicit promise of more if they don't obey soon...

Personalities could come into play. I'd like the idea of a Titan entering your fort, making demands, and getting so pleased with them being met that they start to really appreciate their fort, and the fort appreciates the titan for killing goblins until eventually you get the titan lying down in the middle of your grand hall while dwarven children play on his rumbling belly! Or you just might end up having a tyrannical titan who never seems to be pleased...
Those sound like lots of fun! It would also help when goblins came. Imagine having an old, decrepit dragon watching the dwarflings, until it heard that an enemy would harm the children...or, less Fun, a moronic officer of your own fort. (Cookie for the reference, because why not?)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2012, 12:07:11 pm »

Ooo!  Perhaps a "friendly" monster god would then demand sacrifice.  Virgin, peasant, child, baby, or master craftsman.

Neat.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2012, 10:17:13 am »

Don't forget gods themselves becoming angry that you are worshipping someone else. Maybe they send down some nasty rain... Or maybe they give someone weresyndrome... Or maybe they send down a champion (angel?) to dole out their own brand of justice, killing the BC, dragon or what have you and anything else that happens to get in the way, kicking apart yaks and tossing dwarves into walls alike.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2012, 04:10:41 pm »

I think curses would be probable, given what little we see of gods so far.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2012, 04:29:41 pm »

Something to the effect of this

"The god of fortresses, Nokzam Beararmor The Abbey of Brass, has become angered by your worship of the Bronze Colossus Nol Savagehills The Tick of Artifice and has unleashed  his avatar Osod upon your fortress! A towering golem composed of steel, with a great axe for one hand! Beware this being, an avatar of the gods built to destroy all!"

Would probably make me shit bricks.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2012, 05:12:50 pm »

There was a thread a while back about angels, a term which was agreed on to encompass pretty much all divine servants. Go look at it and see what you think.
Sig

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2012, 05:20:14 pm »

I really don't feel like sifting through a page or two but I saw that thread. never really bothered to look at it  though, since I figured it was something akin to this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2012, 05:37:09 pm »

Meh, not so much. It discussed such things as what angels would look like, what they would do, and how we were each trying to convince the other of the same exact thing, but with different words.

Fun times.
Sig

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2012, 05:41:26 pm »

Overall it boiled down to "Upset the civ's deities, get divine boot up the ass" I'm guessing?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2012, 05:42:19 pm »

Not really, all sorts of other things were suggested, like angels fighting a god's enemies, acting as messengers...look, just read the thread.
Sig

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2012, 05:53:16 pm »

Could this also mean that you could become a necromancer's apprentice or something in adventure mode?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2012, 06:41:06 pm »

Could which, the angels thread or megabeasts demanding tribute in exchange for life and defense?
Sig

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2012, 06:47:33 pm »

...Both?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Trebor1503

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2012, 01:58:35 pm »

Ok, I love this idea in general... so how would it work?

(Game Pause) - Bronze Col. arrives on map edge - is added to your Noble Screen - demands Opulant Throne Room/6 armor stands/5 chests - Mandates gold axes 0/3.

You now have x amount of time to provide this before the Bronze Col goes bisseark (a la a posessed dwarf) and begins killing everything. If you succeed he occupies the throne room and will randomly come out to help you fight based on his happiness level. He could mandate things randomly that you would need to provide. Basically he would be a noble with a HUGE downside if you don't do as he asked.

I would love this enhancement because it is more eloquent than the whole "MB appears, attacks imediately and all die, the end."

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2012, 02:31:20 pm »

I think the idea would work best if the megabeasts were at least semi-sentient and had personalities. That way the drunk aggresive megabeast of booze might give you periodic booze, and get really mad when the egotistical fire beast decides he loves your volcano as a summer home. Then "stuff" happens and dwarves die.

Expansions?
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5