Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Early fortress megabeasts… with a twist!  (Read 9890 times)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Early fortress megabeasts… with a twist!
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 07:23:59 am »

I like this idea, with the correction that megabeasts should slaughter and devour half your dwarves and ruin half your fortress before demanding worship from the other half.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2012, 08:13:49 am »

I like this idea. To keep it from being too OP, only the weaker megabeasts should actually stick around and help fighting (you know, cyclopes, ettins, Billy Bitchcackes type of guys) while the stronger ones would be content with their backpacks/dwarven sacrifices. Hell, let's make them a bit of a bother too: Say a bronze colossus comes by and demands a yearly tribute of socks, and you yield. Then, every year, he comes back, takes his socks, probably kills a dwarf or two along with anything else that might come by. If an elven caravan ends up coming, then they're shit out of luck because Ichtors the Bronze Colossus is here and he wants to play. And this shouldn't happen all the time. I think the likelihood should depend on the savagery and/or on how pathetic your fort is.

Once we fix loyalty, your parent civilization might decide that paying homage to a megabeast isn't their style and cut off ties from you. They might even attack you if your megabeast ends up wrecking the dwarven caravan.

This also gave me another idea: Wandering adventurers and mercenaries. Say you're in an evil biome. One day, a group of crusaders stops by your fort and offers their services for a year in exchange of a place to stay. You can't control them, but they're all really good military dwarves and they'd be off after a year, or if you actively decide to kill them or something. If you decide to turn them away, then they'd just pack up and go. Some mercenaries and adventurers wouldn't be so nice though; if you don't let them stay, they'd attack you.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2012, 09:19:03 am »

I believe expanded interaction with local residents including possibly titans was brought up in future of the fortress.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2012, 06:18:06 pm »

I like this idea. To keep it from being too OP, only the weaker megabeasts should actually stick around and help fighting (you know, cyclopes, ettins, Billy Bitchcackes type of guys) while the stronger ones would be content with their backpacks/dwarven sacrifices. Hell, let's make them a bit of a bother too: Say a bronze colossus comes by and demands a yearly tribute of socks, and you yield. Then, every year, he comes back, takes his socks, probably kills a dwarf or two along with anything else that might come by. If an elven caravan ends up coming, then they're shit out of luck because Ichtors the Bronze Colossus is here and he wants to play. And this shouldn't happen all the time. I think the likelihood should depend on the savagery and/or on how pathetic your fort is.

Once we fix loyalty, your parent civilization might decide that paying homage to a megabeast isn't their style and cut off ties from you. They might even attack you if your megabeast ends up wrecking the dwarven caravan.

This also gave me another idea: Wandering adventurers and mercenaries. Say you're in an evil biome. One day, a group of crusaders stops by your fort and offers their services for a year in exchange of a place to stay. You can't control them, but they're all really good military dwarves and they'd be off after a year, or if you actively decide to kill them or something. If you decide to turn them away, then they'd just pack up and go. Some mercenaries and adventurers wouldn't be so nice though; if you don't let them stay, they'd attack you.

How would the game determine where the adventurers stay?
If it let you designate a lodge-type zone, could you make it a drowning/magma chamber?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2012, 09:44:18 pm »

Why would a bronze colossus attack those who are paying its tribute?

For that matter, why would BCs demand tributes? Here's my take on megabeast psyches:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dragons should probably be the big tribute-demanding megabeasts, them and titans. Maybe hydras, if they decide they can be best fed by not eating the dwarves. Maybe maybe rocs. BCs would skip to the "killing the dwarves" step.
Oh, and titans should range the gamut from murderous to apathetic to interested in tribute to actively altruistic.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2012, 04:50:00 am »

Yeah I miss 40d titans as well.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2012, 08:48:04 pm »

If it let you designate a lodge-type zone, could you make it a drowning/magma chamber?
I've thought about it and here's what I think:
They could stay in a lodge type area, or just in any dormitory designated place. Probably the latter to make getting rid of them a bit harder. If say, half of them die, they might decide to leave on account of it being too dangerous. It's not that amazing of an idea yet.

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2012, 10:49:04 pm »

I've thought about it and here's what I think:
They could stay in a lodge type area, or just in any dormitory designated place. Probably the latter to make getting rid of them a bit harder. If say, half of them die, they might decide to leave on account of it being too dangerous. It's not that amazing of an idea yet.

Just make the entrance one-way so that they're all in there at once

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2012, 03:11:02 am »

they would join your fortress on a permanent basis, providing, like other nobles, mandates; but dispensing their own "justice".
I am imagining a megabeast tracking down your highest ranking dwarf, forcing you to accept it into your civ and to give it a dukes allotment of stuff.

While this is a good idea, I am wondering about those mb's that become enemies of individualizes and civilizations.
How would a dwarf respond to being ruled over by a hated foe?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human dwarven stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein Urist McStein

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2012, 03:16:32 am »

random FB aquitted due to killing former dorf adventurer in self defense.

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2012, 03:57:00 am »

If they required a tithe or seasonal sacrifices I could see them being wonderful dumps for all the random crap traders bring or the 20+ legendary soap makers.

But this seems vaguely like something that Toady would come up with in the personality rewrite. A dragon may decide that fighting its older, battlescarred brothers isnt quite a smart idea, and instead "sides" itself with a fledgeling dwarven colony.

Once the army arc is completed they could even demand a certain number of there fellows killed. Imagine that, A dragon giving a dwarf civilization yearly quests in return for not getting eaten, or something.

But then again, Megabeasts need to be able to survive a trap hallway before they start going around making demands.
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2012, 07:38:11 pm »

But then again, Megabeasts need to be able to survive a trap hallway before they start going around making demands.
How about instead of the mb itself demanding tribute, one of it "disciples" makes the transaction on the mb's behalf?
Something like:

AxeEater the MagmaMan has arrived!
Disciples of AxeEater have arrived!

The mb would wait on the map edge while the disciple/s meet with the head dwarf.
From there it would be like meting with a liaisons; you will negotiate, and answer questions as they come.
You could be asked to pay a one time or yearly tribute/sacrifice. Maybe told that the mb likes this area and will be forced to treat the mb like a noble.
Alturitivly, the mb might want warriors to help it fight another mb.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human dwarven stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein Urist McStein

Williham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2012, 08:38:17 am »

How about instead of the mb itself demanding tribute, one of it "disciples" makes the transaction on the mb's behalf?
Something like:

AxeEater the MagmaMan has arrived!
Disciples of AxeEater have arrived!

The mb would wait on the map edge while the disciple/s meet with the head dwarf.
From there it would be like meting with a liaisons; you will negotiate, and answer questions as they come.
You could be asked to pay a one time or yearly tribute/sacrifice. Maybe told that the mb likes this area and will be forced to treat the mb like a noble.
Alturitivly, the mb might want warriors to help it fight another mb.

Ostensibly, all but the least eloquent megabeasts would largely speak for themselves; but certain megabeasts, like dragons, rocs and bronze colossi could certainly benefit from disciples, yes.

The disciples could also turn up without the megabeast in question, which leads to an interesting situation, where perhaps the disciples in question are impostors, claiming to speak for a megabeast they have no relation to, or perhaps one that does not even exist.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2012, 03:07:30 am »

I got inspired to build a labyrinth with all my tombs.  Drop in caged minotaurs and release em.  Very cool.

Then ithought maybe you could attract certain monsters- minotaurs, medasue- by equipping a zone appropriately.  While not friendly, they might be content to sit in the labyrinth or necromancers tower rather than invade.  I was thinking it could be zone based.  Build a horde in a tall tower, when a dragon comes, it might move in.  While such creatures wouldn't necessarily halt a siege, they are alive and MIT do helpful things.  Or eat a dwarven caravan.

They should walk around the fort punching people and kicking pets, causing unhappy thoughts.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 03:09:08 am by thiosk »

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2012, 03:17:22 pm »

Personalities could come into play. I'd like the idea of a Titan entering your fort, making demands, and getting so pleased with them being met that they start to really appreciate their fort, and the fort appreciates the titan for killing goblins until eventually you get the titan lying down in the middle of your grand hall while dwarven children play on his rumbling belly! Or you just might end up having a tyrannical titan who never seems to be pleased...
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5