Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Early fortress megabeasts… with a twist!  (Read 9901 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Early fortress megabeasts… with a twist!
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 06:16:58 pm »

Urist wandered through the forests, chopping trees as he went. He wandered out further then usual, he slammed his axe down in anger, ever since Mezbil Uzigition the Bronze Collausus forced the fort to worship him as a god it has been depression. Thousands of backpacks per year are dumped into his shrine. He was a cruel ruler. In the distance, however, he saw a large figure. He sighed, and turned around to tell the fort it was time to crank out backpacks made of candy, but then he turned around to spit, he noticed it was not Mezbil, but another titan. From lore, he remembered that it was Gizgugin, a humanoid newt with toxic blood that radiates a aura of kindness, and from the west, Mezbil was coming. He ducked behind a tree as the two began to fight. After hours of fighting, Mezbil began to be beaten back, and the dwarven mitila arrived, who proceeded to slew Mezbil. Gizgugin roared, and left. It was forever known and Gizguin, the eternal savior. The dwarves recorded the next year, not the Age of Depression, but the Age of Freedom.

1. "Kind" titans should arrive to fight off cruel ones, or other cruel ones should arrive to take territory.

2. They should seek to "rule" civilizations, conquering or forcing them into submission.

3. On arrival, it should be marked in legends as a clash of titans.

4. They should force civilizations to worship them, so over the years they will be added to the dwarve's dieties, replacing all others as generations go by.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 06:52:02 pm »

I'm not going to lie.

That sounds freaking awesome  8)
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 07:50:46 pm »

It's not an Instakill if you add personality, flavour, and a bit of randomness to it.
Say for instance, you have a dragon with a cat-like mind, who decides to amuse himself by playing along with the dwarves for a time, helping them fight, up to the point where it bores him. This is when he starts attacking you. If he knew how to write a diary, you could read about it in adv. mode.

Another example of not being instakill would be the aforementioned roc, who believes himself to be an Asztec diety. He demands 12 deaths per year, or else he strikes. Quickly you realize that his demands are frivolous, and begin to kill him. Or you utilize children as sacrifice, while their parents are enlisted in the berzerker army.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 08:44:50 pm »

Gods and Demons, taking over your fortress and trying to work their way up to Monarch of the whole damned civilization, sound awesome.  Just like it happens in Legends mode, only in Fortress.

I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 10:04:59 pm »

This is basically planned and was mentioned almost directly in DFTalk 18.

People should listen to those more often :P

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 02:57:27 am »

So titans become Godzilla?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 11:18:05 am »

So titans become Godzilla?

Well Titans are a megabeast and the rule of thumb is that a megabeast should be a threat to an entire fortress (even though... they sort of arn't. They have been getting less threatening actually)

Also remember titans are beings of nature... they may not actually want to rule nations or even go anywhere near a civilisation. It would be neat to get that sort of dynamics in there.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 03:14:47 pm »

Sometimes it does seem like they were just out on a leisurly stroll, knocking crap over by accident when they see a fancy hole, and then the last thing they remember is a horde of vomitting drunken loonies bashing, biting, chopping and grappling them into mush.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2012, 03:24:31 pm »

Maybe we should pause and consider how to make megabeasts more of a threat, if what Neonivek says is true (aside from titans being forces of nature; some are, some are just weirder megabeasts).

For starters, dragons' scales should be like suits of armor. Steel- or even iron-like scales would likely go a long way towards helping them survive. Hydras should regenerate; I can't wait until that gets added. Bronze colossi are already tough, aren't they? Rocs...I dunno, maybe some sort of gusts-of-wind thing?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2012, 03:27:21 pm »

Interaction: Roc's Wrath
Effect: Targetted at an offending critter, propelling them multiple tiles, away, several z's up and then plumetting down, or in the worst cases, both.

Result is a squoshy paste where they hit that tree.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2012, 04:59:30 pm »

A Roc doesn't need many special tricks it can do it just by being a very large bird

The problem is that the Roc BARELY fights like a really large bird or a Bird of Prey.

Deadly pin precision Swoops would make the Roc nearly unstoppable without a squad of soldiers equipped with crossbows. Give it a draft from its mass (like someone suggested... except not as a gust attack) with each swoop and the Roc is perfect and deadly. Nearly impossible to take on in melee.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 06:50:24 pm by Neonivek »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2012, 08:01:44 pm »

Real-life birds do use the ability to snatch tough creatures (like turtles, mussles, or possibly bones, in the case of vultures seeking the marrow), fly up high, go into a dive, and drop them at terminal velocity into a sharp rocky outcropping, and breaking away from its dive at the last moment, itself. 

Even if it was only a kludgy interaction, giving larger birds the ability to take a target for the Shuttle Loop would be a way to make them a little more than just another land creature with wings they can't use.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 12:21:44 am »

Yep that too Kohaku.

Plus the claws should seriously hurt the poor creature grabbed by this, them being pulverized into the ground by the lunge, and them being thrown to the ground... should kill most things

Though A Roc COULD be too big for that. Given that its claws may be too big...

Another issue is that a large creature doesn't have any heft to it. It cannot simply charge and take out all those who stand in its path.

The biggest problem is that Megabeasts have no real method of fighting multiple opponents right now. The closest is the Bronze Collosus but that is only because it has soo much defense it can take all the attacks. Some strategy would help too, a dragon moving back to get all the opponents in a burst of flame is much more effective then its 1 tile flame attack.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:25:43 am by Neonivek »

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 01:26:02 am »

You know, this sounds like it could actually work. Plus it would certainly add depth to the game world. It could even become its own brand of historical event:
"In 23, the Paddle of Searing became a fiefdom to the Bronze Colossus Überleet the Machine of Killing."
"In 27, Überleet the Machine of Killing demanded a tribute of 3 grates from the Paddle of Searing"

The idea of having your new megabeast overlord occasionally intervening on your behalf sounds pretty kick-ass, too. You could even end up with a small, otherwise unremarkable civ (kobolds, anyone?) surviving solely because they're the fiefs of a powerful megabeast who regularly wrecks their enemies' shit. That's the stuff of legends right there, people!

Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 02:13:09 am »

Well it would require intelligent megabeasts and currently none of the available ones have intelligence (except MAYBE Titans can randomise with it)

We used to have exactly one intelligent Megabeast. The Titan Classic.

I miss Titan Classic. So much lost potential.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5