Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Early fortress megabeasts… with a twist!  (Read 9891 times)

Williham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Early fortress megabeasts… with a twist!
« on: May 12, 2012, 04:59:06 pm »

Looking at a few genned worlds and the kind of leaders gobbo civs end up with; a though struck me:

How grand would it not be, if megabeasts like bronze colossi turned up early on; but rather than going on a rampage, they make your fortress a simple offer:

"Worship me, or be destroyed."

Essentially, they would require a 3x3 to 5x5 workshop with (semi-)random materials like statues (made from specific materials?), blocks and stone to be built within a certain time frame; and if they were, they would join your fortress on a permanent basis, providing, like other nobles, mandates; but dispensing their own "justice".

Of course, in the event of invaders turning up at the fortress gates, they would go straight ahead and fuck some goblin shit UP.

Denying them means fighting them, of course, so a young fortress could choose to use the time afforded to simply isolate themselves from the frienemy at the gates.

The megabeasts might also require that a certain amount of time be spent worshipping them; making the noble position of "priest" at least moderately useful.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Early fortress megabeasts… with a twist!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 05:06:19 pm »

Dragons still can't avoid cages, right?

We could get dragon eggs early...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Williham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 05:18:03 pm »

You make a valid point.

Should their demands not be met, a more relevant answer might be "Your are not worth the time it would take me to crush you."; with the beast leaving.

And at the same time, adolescent dragons would hopefully be wise enough to make modest demands.

Edit: I think I see what you're getting at, but let's face it; dragon eggs are pretty worthless unless you have a male dragon around to impregnate them.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 05:28:23 pm by Williham »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 07:34:05 pm »

I like the idea of megabeasts demanding worship instead of just being killbotz. Perhaps they'd visit larger forts, too, although more as a sort of "Worship me, and I will bestow gifts upon you!" kind of deal.
Perhaps similar deals, although with very different outlooks, could be set up with captured megabeasts--e.g. "We'll let you live if you let us take your eggs and if you roast incoming goblins."

Oh, BTW, dragon eggs make delicious omlettes.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Williham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 07:38:21 pm »

Delicious?

Yes.

Numerous?

No.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 04:17:53 am »

Of course, in the event of invaders turning up at the fortress gates, they would go straight ahead and fuck some goblin shit UP.

Seems like that would be too useful, at least if it was guaranteed.  If it didn't hang around, but only visited the fortress site infrequently to check up on its shrine and pick up tribute, then it could fight invaders.  Or it might decide that it doesn't want worshipers so pathetic they can't fight off some goblins, and never come back again.

Williham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 07:36:27 am »

Well, there are many ways in which the beasts could act, and perhaps having all of them in the game, depending on chance and type of beast would be a good idea.

Naturally, the degree of intervention the beast provides would be related to the number of mandates and demands they'd levy on the fort.

A hands-off bronze colossus might show up once every three years, yelling "MAKE ME 3 BACKPACKS; OR I WILL DESTROOOOOOOY YOU!", and once satisfied, will walk off into the wilds for another three years.

A more hands-on beast might take up residence in the depths of your fortress, and make demands for hundreds of items per year; but if gobbos or titans or what have you turns up, they're *THERE*, man.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 07:44:23 am »

Why would a bronze colossus want backpacks? More realistically, it'd be a dragon or something that wants some cut gems of at least X value for its hoard, or Y gold coins, or something.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Williham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 08:20:20 am »

I don't know why, but the image of a bronze colossus having a fit over backpacks popped into my head, and I found it funny.

So that's what I'm going with.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 09:33:17 am »

Intelligent megabeasts that can demand tribute?

I like the idea actually.  But it would have to be set up as a token in the raws of the creature.  We wouldn't want to see deep crows demanding that we build them furniture.  So the type of demand would have to be able to be chosen in the raw of the creature.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 02:34:18 pm »

I think a bronze colossus would want an upgrade to his shrine, so you'd eventually have a huge statue garden.

A minotaur would want a maze of course.
Necromancers would want towers...
Dragons would move into the caverns and demand gold and access to lava.

Also dwarven sacrifices to the great roc tyrant.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 02:36:41 pm »

Okay, heres your backpack-OH GOD SOMEONE BREACHED HFS-Oh wait nevermind. The 52 titans we have living with us are slaughtering them. You go Roc!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 04:25:19 pm »

I don't think Rocs can speak.

The only gamebreaker I see is the sheer balls-out ass kicking a megabeast could dish out.

Although the ones that have "An aura of giving and kindness" sound more like they'd come to help thinking the poor little drunk people need protecting from all the other big bad critters. If the fort has a poor military (Badly equipped, barely skilled) They'd offer to be a guardian untilt he fort could defend itself, inexchange for a shrine or something to recognize it's kindness. Whent he fort has x number of Skilled fighting dwarves, it will bid you farewell and assure you it will return to check up on your fort from time to time, and resume guardianship if things have gone a little.... wonky.

On the other hand, a Bronze Collosus flipping shit over backpacks does sound really funny....

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 04:39:55 pm »

I still hold firm as to what I said. This basically kills military, you just turn your army into statue makers and your invincible. Unless titans come to fight over who owns what fort, or have very.......very......bad side affects, this makes HFS more like a kobold thief army.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 04:45:16 pm »

A literal clash of titans sounds epic! Until the dwarves get kill ed in the crossfire of webs and extracts, and a stray firball blows up the booze stockpile and sets the mess hall on fire, alone with Urist, Obok, your miners and kitten.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5