Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Paint to Roll - Turn 7: Run from the ifrit!  (Read 13730 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Paint to Roll - Turn 7: Run from the ifrit!
« on: May 12, 2012, 03:34:40 pm »

This is exactly as you should expect from the title: An RTD where all action submissions are in picture form, preferably drawn specifically for the action. I then roll for what I interpret the picture's intended action, and make one or more pictures of the results. If my pictures aren't clear about something, I'll put it in text (IE, that potion lets you take a second action). I reserve the right to post dialogs in picture or text form, but any NPC dialog from the players should be in picture form (such as a speech bubble with a flaming sword, a question mark, and a slain villain). Text in pictures should be such things as signs and (un)sound effects.

No need to spend hours on perfect pictures, or to have any artistic talent, but token effort would be nice (though not required), since that's about what I expect to put forth in order to take less than a week per update.

Five people get in at a time. Expect deaths.

You cannot create characters, as there is no setting yet! Fix this by signing up with a picture of your setting preference! No just quoting someone else's picture, as I'll try to mix them. Reservations will be valid for 12 hours, after which I'll pick some from the wait list who's suggestion a setting. Setting suggestions from wait listers will be considered. (If you want high fantasy, draw two wizard's dueling or something. If you want modern times, perhaps a Starbucks.)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 06:21:53 pm by Nirur Torir »

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
Re: Paint to Roll: Sign-ups
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 03:37:58 pm »

On the one hand, this RtD sounds really awesome.
On the other hand, I know myself well enough to know that I'd drag the pace down...
For now, abstaining with a heavy heart.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 03:42:37 pm »

Reserve.

Please wake up by 10 O'clock...

EDIT:

http://thestix.cfw.me/comics/3
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 03:03:57 am by ExKirby »
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 03:51:51 pm »

RESERVE. One moment, I'll draw a picture.

EDIT: Actually, nah. I got two illustrated games to work on. Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 03:58:56 pm by freeformschooler »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 07:24:15 am »

Anyone else?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 07:27:34 am »

I guess I'll end up joining, although it'll become a one-man-party the way things are going.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

NightS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 07:52:23 am »

I guess i'm in, let's try with some crappy paintings :D
Setting:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:09:10 am by NightS »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 10:12:56 am »

One last bump for settings before I finalize it and move onto character creation. I'll run this even if it means starting with only two players.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 01:26:38 pm »

I guess I'll give it a shot, but I'm thinking it's just too involved for most people.

EDIT: Setting submitted.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 01:36:13 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 01:33:55 pm »

I guess I'll give it a shot, but I'm thinking it's just too involved for most people.
It may as well be a way to get my lazy ass to draw something. So I'm diving in, although I may have some difficulty. As for the setting, I am terrible with scenery and was thinking of submitting one late in the night.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 02:36:10 pm »

Caellath is unable to submit a setting picture right now, but has requested something mixing tech and magic. Sounds fun, so I'll allow it. (I was already planning on magic, because of the undead.)

The Ragnaros War - Started in the year 1531 Post Discovery for reasons unknown, marking the end of the Golden Years. The War drained virtually all mana from the world, as people wielding mystical powers of unfathomable potential joined in battle against each other time and again. The major participants were ...
- Excerpt from History as It Happened, commissioned by King Mundo.

Right, listen up! A new Rift has opened half an hour's march from here. The monsters spewing forth razed half the town before the local garrison drove them off, at great costs. We're here to fortify and hold the town until reinforcements arrive.

That might be a while, seeing how thin the army's become. Regardless, the line must hold: We are the first, last, and only line of defense before the Banner Valley. We lose that and a third of the Empire starves .. Hawkview cannot be allowed to fall.

- Captain Harold, of the Eagle Company.

600 years have passed since the Ragnaros War reshaped the face of the planet and removed mana from the world. Recovery was painful. Eventually, an industrial revolution occurred. 30 years ago, the first Rift opened. Tons of land appeared instantly where and as it had been during The War, messily displacing everything from its destination. With it came a massive dose of mana, as well as swarms of ravenous monstrosities. Wildlife was corrupted and joined the hordes. At appalling costs was it eventually contained. It took twenty years for scholars to piece together scattered bits of ancient knowledge, and another eight to finish applying that knowledge, slowly filtering out and purifying the Rift's mana. Today only a barren wasteland remains. During that those thirty years, countless other Rifts started appearing across the world. Some nations fell, while the luckier ones survive by constantly fighting for their lives.

Rifts tend to vary. Some, such as the first, are like a force of nature and possess a minor intelligence of their own. Others are ruled by ancient mages, driven mostly insane by centuries of isolation with only brainless minions for company. Most Rifts conjure creatures from nothing. Rifts tend to contain ruins with well-preserved knowledge of the past, causing adventurers to risk everything for greater power. Armies, lacking the ability to hurt the Rifts, usually hang back at fortified positions to reduce attrition.

The tech level is early industrial. Railroads connect the major cities, where most of the population who aren't fighting or farming churn out supplies for the war in factories. Firearm technology is muzzle-loaded flintlock muskets. The ancient knowledge of magic was almost completely lost. Some has been rediscovered in the last thirty years, and the training to use weak cantrips is usually available for those brave enough to study in the fortifications near rifts. Higher training can only be done with very small groups, and is rarer.

Character creation time. You each get one to three pictures to show me your race, class, inventory, and any skills you have. If something's not obvious, I'll guess toward stereotypes (That haughty pointy-eared guy is an elf, intelligent but frail. That pointed hat guy is clearly a wizard), and give standard adventuring equipment.
Races: Standard fantasy or custom. They'll be assumed to be human sized unless specified otherwise or an obvious short race (like dwarves). No flying unless you're specially built for it. I'll be balancing positives and negatives out to zero.
Class/Skills: Everyone will get either one level 2 skill, or two level 1 skills.
Inventory: Five mundane-powered items. An example would be a musket, a long rope, ammo, thief's toolkit, and a sword. Basic rations will be free, and everybody gets clothing. An item giving +2 would take two slots.

If you feel you need to describe some parts with words and only post a simple picture of your character, that's fine, but I'll give gold bonuses if you only post pictures for this part or for minimizing word usage.

I'll be using a d10 for rolls, so having a fast race and getting a +2 to dodging is possible.

The Rift will be in the ruins of a dwarven fortress, and there will be undead.

The fifth player slot is still open.

NightS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 02:47:10 pm »

This sounds reaaaally fun :D

This is going to be hand drawn, as i want it to look cool. Just one thing: In case the face is not showing (i suck at drawing faces and i might try to use a hood or something) it is just a normal human

Placeholder
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:59:00 pm by NightS »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 04:10:38 pm »

...How about the name?
>Yes?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 04:15:01 pm »

I knew I forgot one. Please use text for your names.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 08:13:49 am »

I'm still drawing the first image (*cough* schedule). On the good side, it has token effort! On the bad side, it'll be pretty much a demonstrative image, since I'll have to make simpler versions in order to not drag the RtD around.

Question: How could one demonstrate agility/acrobatic prowess in a character? I mean, without taking races in account? I have a slight idea, but it may not be too obvious.
Also: Can a dual-slot weapon give +1 to one skill and +1 to other (instead of +2 to one) if it seems to be built for that purpose?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 08:40:46 am by Caellath »
>Yes?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13