Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 43

Author Topic: Outcast Power RTD (Prologue: Waking Up And Not)  (Read 72701 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: Outcast Power RTD (Prologue: Flagrarus.)
« Reply #345 on: May 19, 2012, 09:32:32 pm »

You experience with restoration is apparently woefully inadequate.
Ive only been healed 3 times... and in the two failures my flesh either began to rot or simply fell off...

Very low rolls that were never intended to or had no chance to succeed will generally just apply very un-restoration-like effects to the caster, rather than buffing or aiding the target directly. Sucking all your health out to inject into it instead probably isn't out of the question, though.
ah phooey i wanted a kraken
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 19, 2012, 09:38:55 pm »

((i was contemplating a very weak fire spell (-1) that would be just hot enough to make it let me go then running after the horse and riding it outta dodge, regenning some more hp then coming back to just outside the plants combat range and trying to help you guys.))
((Read your stats, realize your hands are extremely maimed, your character is in pain and in sub-par condition and give up on committing fire-assisted suicide.

I just realized that the fact I am trying to prevent people from performing these insanities must be making the GM pretty sad. Although Draignean did ignore my advice and give IronyOwl a reason to smile, though.))

((Of course I ignored your advice, playing things safe is no fun at all. Giant horticultural abominations against Man and God, now that's fun.

When I get splinters I shall now think of Clarence, and his terrible plant monster. ))

((Also, taking bets on how horribly maimed the Old Man is going to be when we get to the Rift? He's already lost his voice and part of his finger, so it's a distinct possibility that he's going to lose something else soon.))
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 19, 2012, 09:40:17 pm »

((Also, taking bets on how horribly maimed the Old Man is going to be when we get to the Rift? He's already lost his voice and part of his finger, so it's a distinct possibility that he's going to lose something else soon.))
((Either his life or his Johnson, pick either.

Edit: Edited my action.))
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:42:26 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 19, 2012, 09:41:02 pm »

((1/4 of my in game coins on moderately maimed, and i think you still have your fingertip, in fact i bet you lose an entire finger this time.

also edited my action))
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:42:51 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 19, 2012, 09:47:12 pm »

((Great, now we have to kill all of them. Otherwise we're going to have imperial agents pouring into the rift should just one of them manage to get a message out. Why on earth did you tell them where we were going?))
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 19, 2012, 09:49:19 pm »

((Great, now we have to kill all of them. Otherwise we're going to have imperial agents pouring into the rift should just one of them manage to get a message out. Why on earth did you tell them where we were going?))
((but he said it out of character... lemme change my action to reflect this development))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 19, 2012, 09:51:04 pm »

((Thanks for poking me, I edited my action once more, no Rift for them.))
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 20, 2012, 01:19:05 am »

Eric had to act immediately, before he sank too low. The only thing he could think of was that spell he cast on himself mere minutes ago - it provided him with stable footing whenever he moved his feet down onto the earth, even though he didn't know where exactly that stability came from.
Eric raised his legs into a crouching position, like a toad ready to jump, and then pushed them downwards. He felt mud rushing around his head and his feet standing on something reminiscent of a solid ground... for a second. Then he was sinking again. Eric decided this was a success, and started 'jumping' through the mud as fast as he could.
'Jump' my way to the surface, with my previously-cast spell of Mud-Walking actually making this ridiculous way of not-drowning work.
When I'm breathing fresh air again, wipe my eyes and move away from the muddy, invisible hole-in-the-ground. Get - or don't get - caught by Draignean's creation, depending on my rolls; all that matters is, I should be at a safe distance from that mud-filled grave.

UPD:
((@Irony: magic-related questions, for fun and profit!
- What is the modifier on tearing a bone out of someone's body?
- Will using my target's name enhance the aim of my spells?
- I have a theory that fecals, peat, swamp silt and so on respond both to Necromancy, being almost entirely made of dead matter, and to Earth Magic, since they're close to or are a type of soil. Is that theory correct?
- What are the advantages of using Staggered spells as opposed to normal ones?))
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:29:07 am by HmH »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 21, 2012, 11:45:58 pm »

Well then...

SUPER INPATIENT SUPERPOWERS GO!

ROLLSSS!
:P

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 22, 2012, 03:12:11 am »

Been busy with certain unproductive things lately, but I can at least answer these:

- What is the modifier on tearing a bone out of someone's body?
Generally pretty high, since it's a fairly severe, crippling injury with other possible uses. Do note that it depends in part on what you're trying to do it to, though; ripping a bone out of something with crap defenses and 1 hp is going to be easier than intentionally boning one of your teammates, for instance.

- Will using my target's name enhance the aim of my spells?
No.

- I have a theory that fecals, peat, swamp silt and so on respond both to Necromancy, being almost entirely made of dead matter, and to Earth Magic, since they're close to or are a type of soil. Is that theory correct?
Everywhere from somewhat to no. The short but useful answer is that only recognizably dead or earth-like things are affected, but creative or specific uses can benefit from or affect conceptually related things under the right circumstances.

Necromancy generally only affects dead matter if it's recognizably or conceptually dead in some fashion; it wouldn't normally be able to affect coal, for instance, even though it's made of dead things, because the dead things aren't really recognizably dead things anymore, they're just a type of rock.

Conceptual issues can sometimes override this; for instance, the ashes of a dead person could be useful in some fashion, and coal could serve as a reagent or focus for certain things if it was relevant in some way.

Earth is similarly limited to earth-like things; while peat is certainly vaguely soil-like, it might qualify more as plant matter. Silt depends on what it's like and what you're trying to use it for; if it's really fertile soil, it's probably earth; if it's really finely ground plant or animal goo, it's probably not.

- What are the advantages of using Staggered spells as opposed to normal ones?))
I'm not sure Staggered spells are still in or if I'll just be using a knowledge addon mechanic, but generally they're either more powerful than normal, or more commonly, just do things that one school alone couldn't or do them easier. In the case of necromancy and earth, for instance, you might be able to get more use out of grave soil than a straight necromancer or earth mage would. You can also sometimes combine them more overtly, such as by using necrotic earth spikes instead of just earth spikes or necrotic bolts, which wouldn't automatically be more powerful but could be.

Am now suspicious of why I had time to answer this but not run the turn. Time to flee!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 22, 2012, 03:12:49 am »

holy carp it worked :D

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 22, 2012, 03:18:48 am »

The short but useful answer is that only recognizably dead or earth-like things are affected, but creative or specific uses can benefit from or affect conceptually related things under the right circumstances.

Necromancy generally only affects dead matter if it's recognizably or conceptually dead in some fashion; it wouldn't normally be able to affect coal, for instance, even though it's made of dead things, because the dead things aren't really recognizably dead things anymore, they're just a type of rock.

so if he found a fossil he could use both schools on it as it is easily recognizable as both a creatures remains and a rock?

edit:sorry for double post got distracted by food and forgot to copy paste into the previous posts tab

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 22, 2012, 05:00:06 am »

so if he found a fossil he could use both schools on it as it is easily recognizable as both a creatures remains and a rock?
Generally speaking, yeah.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 22, 2012, 06:08:43 am »

((Not wanting to go INPACIENT BUMP on you but...Turn? My character is still being grabbed by a giant monster plant >.>))
>Yes?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 22, 2012, 06:51:19 am »

Prologue: Blood Bank
[reference]

((It's okay, guys! The fire mage/fleshwarper is still unconscious!))

"Don't worry, I can get us down."

Study the plant's magic, looking for magical weakpoints that could be exploited.
[5-3+2] You're pretty sure it has some magical connection to blood.

[8+3] vs [10-1+1] Then it sucks out [5] a fair amount of your blood.

+3 Metamagic
-5 HP

Despite the great amount of pain his finger was in, Clarence was overjoyed. Brewing potions under distracting conditions wasn't something he'd really ever practiced, but this had turned out better than he'd dared to hope. Maybe the Gods weren't so foolish after all.
   Still, it had worked a little too well, trapping everyone with a bit more enthusiasm than was healthy. The plant was part of him, in its base anyway, maybe, just maybe, Clarence could exert some control over it.
   It sounded reasonable enough anyway, and it wasn't like Clarence had experience in creating toweringly floral abominations.

Attempt to exert control over the plant thing, get it to drop the members of our party (to include Rachel), and grab the crossbowmen. Preferably crushing the Knight and the Crossbowman.
[2-5+3] It hungers for more.

[4+3][9+3] vs [2][10] It grips you tightly with its vines, thorns sucking out [1][1] a surprisingly small amount of blood.

-2 HP

Rhedarios attempted to roll sideways as the omnicidal plant suddenly lashed out to catch all of his group and the female knight as well. His dodging skill was useless and he was grabbed by its thorny vines. Now his party managed to do it. He sighs and turns towards the struggling knight with a pleading look, trying to take advantage of the fact the woman was both in a terrible situation and had little to lose at the moment.
"Miss, please accept my offer, I know you are a good person and both our parties could benefit from cooperation steeming between us, now and for as long as we stay together (preferentially for as long as we live). I realize you are trying to make a name for yourself, which is no honorless campaign, although you have been pushed back in the line of sucession. You will most likely spend the rest of your live chasing criminals in the mud and risking your health for little to no gain and then die before acquiring your rightful title. Our group is heading towards a promising land, where all of us shall be the masters of our destinies. We shall be bound to no Lord, and all which we reap shall be ours. If you happen to join our adventure, your name may go down in history not as a knight that died forgotten amidst dirt, but as a powerful Lord among the few able to tame the wild lands of..err...the place we are going."

Rhedarios tries to convince the woman with cuteness, a meek demeanor and a hell lot of arguing. Again. Depending on how much of a free action talking is, he moves on to the archers. He also jams the sharp ends of the Talon into the vine or vines keeping hold of him and attempts to rip along the seam of the plant's thick fibers. ((Which is a claw attack with more flavor. I am not trying to create a new skill, so no trying to stick negatives and horrifying consequences here  :P))
[6-1] You wheedle and beg, the vines wrapping around your ears in a cute manner. She seems a bit taken aback and unsure.

"I will consider sparing your life!" she shouts, continuing to hack at the vines.

+3 Groveling
Now Dabbling Groveler!

Gus cringed when the vines went beserk. In all his years as a negotiator, plans had never gone this wrong. But how could he take advantage of it? He realized in a flash, the enemy was in a panic, and they may now listen, so he works with Rhedarios, trying to convince the most scared looking to work with them.
[1+2+1] You manage to make a decent case for considering Rhedarios' offer, but the knight doesn't seem especially impressed.

If the plant wont attack me while im unconscious i think ill just stay that way and try to regain some hp in the process

If you make me wake up or if plant can attack me while im unconscious,
tear at it with my teeth and bare hands until it lets me go then run like hell towards that horse.

[6] The plant sucks out an awful lot of blood from your unconscious form. You dream of being a fruit, sucked dry by innumerable straws.

-6 HP

Eric had to act immediately, before he sank too low. The only thing he could think of was that spell he cast on himself mere minutes ago - it provided him with stable footing whenever he moved his feet down onto the earth, even though he didn't know where exactly that stability came from.
Eric raised his legs into a crouching position, like a toad ready to jump, and then pushed them downwards. He felt mud rushing around his head and his feet standing on something reminiscent of a solid ground... for a second. Then he was sinking again. Eric decided this was a success, and started 'jumping' through the mud as fast as he could.
'Jump' my way to the surface, with my previously-cast spell of Mud-Walking actually making this ridiculous way of not-drowning work.
When I'm breathing fresh air again, wipe my eyes and move away from the muddy, invisible hole-in-the-ground. Get - or don't get - caught by Draignean's creation, depending on my rolls; all that matters is, I should be at a safe distance from that mud-filled grave.
[4-2+2] You mud-hop your way up and up, losing ground each hop, but less than you gain. Eventually you breach the surface and breathe in. Just your head is exposed and it's a struggle to stay aloft, but that's still an improvement.

Also there's a giant berserk plant monster thrashing around for some reason. Uh...

+1 Earth Magic

[1+3] vs [5+3] Rachel tries to wriggle free of the plant's grasp, but doesn't get far. [5] She loses a fair amount of blood.

[9+4-2] vs [5+3] The knight manages to hack into the vines. [6+2][7+2] vs [8+3][9+3] The rangers attempt to follow suit, but make little more than cosmetic progress. The knight fails to escape.

[8+3] vs [8+4] The knight does, however, manage to avoid losing any blood.

Spoiler: Characters (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 43