Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 43

Author Topic: Outcast Power RTD (Prologue: Waking Up And Not)  (Read 72723 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: Outcast Power RTD (Prologue: "Diplomacy" and "Healing")
« Reply #315 on: May 19, 2012, 06:51:09 am »

Sounds good, so as clarification how should we phrase Spinal_Tapers diplomacy action to benefit from his +2+1 persuasion/social bonus?

attempt to persuade Urist mcLongName to cease her attacks

or is that still to broad a definition to be classed under the persuasion skill?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Outcast Power RTD (Prologue: "Diplomacy" and "Healing")
« Reply #316 on: May 19, 2012, 05:15:25 pm »

Prologue: Flagrarus

Trip the horse up with a rod of magic on the long-titled person's next charge, hopefully launching her face down into the mud at the feet of her target.
[4-2+2] You hurl a rod of magical force at the horse's legs. [4] vs [2] Your aim is accurate enough, and the horse stumbles, unable to avoid tripping.

[2] The knight tilts and then slips off her horse, falling the few remaining feet into the mud.

+1 Metamagic
Horse tripped, Knight dismounted

Throw a huge wave of mud in the crossbowmen's direction, trying to knock them down and blind them with a thick layer of dirt on their faces.
[2+2-4] You attempt to conjure a huge wave of mud, powerful enough to knock down two targets at long range. Instead there's a feeling of void beneath you, and you find yourself falling.

The mud closes in soon after, leaving you buried alive and still slipping down.

+2 Earth Magic
Entombed in mud

((I have the ominous feeling that woman will kill me in two blows if I happen to be unable to convince her. If I convince her, that means more molestery. Ahahhahaha. I can't say Rhedarios is the butt-monkey simply because Lamar takes the cake.))

Rhedarios kept his cool even as the blade cut across his chest. Such an amount of pain was nothing to him; Inquisitors were trained to deal with pain and grow to appreciate it as a sign you were still alive and thus, your enemy could be killed by your very hand. But something sparked his interest. The woman fighting him had such a long title, but her title meant almost nothing. She was very, very far away in the line of succession, and was probably trying to prove herself worthy by combat and deeds. She would never be recognized as worthy of anything more than just chasing after criminals.
Puppy-eyes power, go.

"Lady, I have no doubt about your valor and bravery, but could you please cause us no harm, and instead join me? (Most) members of our group mean no harm to anyone, and obviously your masters do not give you enough importance. You are being sent to chase people inside the mud. I promise your help would be much more appreciated by our side..."
Well, diplomacy had mysteriously worked with Rachel and the quarter-breed hoped that miracle could happen once again. The chances of besting the woman in combat were slim, and the fact she was the commander and could order her soldiers made her the most valuable conversion target. Of course, he also believed she was a good person, only lacking some attention, like Rachel. And Rhedarios is a very delusional draggy.
Use sparkly eyes, convince her with cuteness. If it fails, attempt to dodge her attack and try convincing her again instead of striking back. She is the leader, damnit D:
[4+1-1] You make very convincing puppy eyes at her. [5] She smirks and responds.

"And you think your 'allies' respect and value you, oversized plaything?"

+1 Flatterer

Gus stood, and said "People, why do you follow the emperor? What has he done for you, but made you kill your own people? Do you not believe that one of us could rule this land better?", attempting to disillusion them. ((Don't forget my bonuses you dashing rogue)))
[1-1+1] You're less used to giving inspiring (or disillusioning) speeches than to other forms of convincing, and it shows. You feel like all eyes turn to you, but not in a good way.

Clarence stood agape as minor royalty ordered the deaths of him and everyone nearby, horses charged, the masked wizard's hands spontaneously melted off, and bolts whizzed out of nowhere to strike his companions. The worst part was that he didn't have a lot of ability to stop it, his magic was a great deal more tuned to working in a lab, with actual ingredients.  What potion could possibly made out of a bunch of weeds, rainwater, mud, and this damnable splinter! It was imposs-
    Clarence shook his fist at the rainy sky when he realized what he had to do. Stupid Gods, always giving the old men the short end of the stick.

IF DIPLOMACY FAILS: Use alchemy to mix a potion of monstrous thorny growth. Use: Rainwater, Mud, those weeds I picked up, and the the tip of the finger with the splinter in it.

Throw the potion at the general area of the attackers, don't have to hit anyone, just make it so that the elixir will start growing angry thorny plants closer to them than us.

((Hopefully I should get a nice bonus to this, considering that I'M SACRIFICING THE TIP OF ONE OF MY FINGERS. Also, one can hope that it can tell friend from foe since it's made with part of me, but if not, who cares.))

IF DIPLOMACY SUCCEEDS: Help carry the Fallen Fire mage, look at his hands and try to think of ways that I could possibly help the poor sod.
[5-5+2+3] You feel an unbearable pain as your finger is eaten from the inside out, the splinter branching out to join the weeds branching it. The concoction writhes with hunger.

[1] Then you drop it at your feet.

+2 Alchemy
Now Flagrarus

[6] The potion explodes in a shockwave of growing plant and shuddering ground, vines whipping out as a ripple passes through the mud.

Clarence: [4+3] vs [2]
Rhedarios: [7+3] vs [7+1]
Lamar: [9+3] vs 0
Eric: "Safe"
Gustavo: [8+3] vs [2]
Greg: [4+3] vs [2]
Rachel: [10+3] vs [6+2]
Knight: [9+3] vs [7+4-1]
Horse: [3+3] vs [9+2-1]

Everyone near the group is immediately grabbed by the writhing vines. The only exception is the knight's horse, who promptly neighs and makes a break for it. [5] vs [2+1] It escapes the vines' thorny grasp.

[5] The two archers immediately dash forward, trying to help get the knight out of there. [3+2] vs [2+3], [6+2] vs [8+3] They fail to make any progress, the vines lashing aside their drawn shortswords or accepting the minor cuts without flinching.

The knight squawks in surprise, then begins trying to cut her way out. [6+4-2] vs [9+3] Her long weapon isn't well-suited to that, and she fails.

[1+2] vs [10+3] Rachel has the opposite problem, her light weapon being too small to properly damage the thick, numerous vines.

Spoiler: Characters (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 05:21:31 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outcast Power RTD (Prologue: Flagrarus.)
« Reply #317 on: May 19, 2012, 05:30:25 pm »

((Well, Draignean, you did it. You doomed us all.

@GM: Will the knight now be easier to convert? Also, I don't think I should get points for "Flatterer". Isn't there an skill named "Practical use of Cuteness"?))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 19, 2012, 05:44:12 pm »

((Well, Draignean, you did it. You doomed us all.
Truly, he is the finest of mages.

@GM: Will the knight now be easier to convert? Also, I don't think I should get points for "Flatterer". Isn't there an skill named "Practical use of Cuteness"?))
Hard to say. :3

Trouble with "practical use of cuteness" is that it's more of a method than a unified theme. It'd be sort of like if someone wanted a magic school based on "changing things" or a weapon skill based on "using metal"- workable to some extent, but way too broad as is, to the point where it's pretty much a universal skill with one or two holes.

Or, put another way- aside from outright threats and intimidation, what wouldn't potentially fall under Practical Cuteness?
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 19, 2012, 05:45:16 pm »

((It's okay, guys! The fire mage/fleshwarper is still unconscious!))

"Don't worry, I can get us down."

Study the plant's magic, looking for magical weakpoints that could be exploited.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 06:07:53 pm by Nirur Torir »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 19, 2012, 05:47:24 pm »

Things
((I happened to be joking and I thought the ridiculous name of the skill made it clear >.>
I was really questioning the Flatterer part, though.))

((@Nirur Torir: Don't try it, I mean it. You'll probably get negative modifiers and make it even bigger.))
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 19, 2012, 05:53:01 pm »

((I happened to be joking and I thought the ridiculous name of the skill made it clear >.>
I was really questioning the Flatterer part, though.))
Ah, well, it seemed more like flattery than anything else- the gist of it was basically "Look, you're obviously awesome, but we really don't mean any harm, so why don't you come be even more awesome with us instead of these people who don't understand how awesome you are?"

((@Nirur Torir: Don't try it, I mean it. You'll probably get negative modifiers and make it even bigger.))
Stop trying to interfere with others' greatness. :D

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 19, 2012, 05:58:23 pm »

((What else would you have me do, then? Throw magic blades around into the mass of vines? Heal it? Put a plant to sleep? I think trying to cast Dominate Plant would be even harder than disrupting the magic plant's magic.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 19, 2012, 06:00:01 pm »

Ah, well, it seemed more like flattery than anything else- the gist of it was basically "Look, you're obviously awesome, but we really don't mean any harm, so why don't you come be even more awesome with us instead of these people who don't understand how awesome you are?
((That is coming from the GM trying to kill us with giant plants. I think Persuasion or Negotiation makes more sense. I think Flattery serves more for softening people up before asking something, but my request was immediate.))

((What else would you have me do, then? Throw magic blades around into the mass of vines? Heal it? Put a plant to sleep? I think trying to cast Dominate Plant would be even harder than disrupting the magic plant's magic.))
((Try to free yourself from the vine gripping you, you have claws. Easier than trying to dispell the whole magic creature.))
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 06:12:25 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 19, 2012, 06:06:52 pm »

((My character doesn't know how to use his claws, and the plant gets a +3 to resisting blades. I'll switch to studying it for magical weakpoints this turn.))

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 19, 2012, 06:14:45 pm »

((Would you mind terribly not casting your dispel magic until after I've attempted to command the thing? It's got part of my finger in it, so there might even be a tiny sliver of a chance that it'll listed, and if it does we'll gain a massive thorny companion who can take us clear over this blasted mud!))
((Ninja'd))

Despite the great amount of pain his finger was in, Clarence was overjoyed. Brewing potions under distracting conditions wasn't something he'd really ever practiced, but this had turned out better than he'd dared to hope. Maybe the Gods weren't so foolish after all.
   Still, it had worked a little too well, trapping everyone with a bit more enthusiasm than was healthy. The plant was part of him, in its base anyway, maybe, just maybe, Clarence could exert some control over it.
   It sounded reasonable enough anyway, and it wasn't like Clarence had experience in creating toweringly floral abominations.

Attempt to exert control over the plant thing, get it to drop the members of our party (to include Rachel), and grab the crossbowmen. Preferably crushing the Knight and the Crossbowman.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 11:41:23 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 19, 2012, 06:43:55 pm »

Attempt to exert control over the plant thing, get it to drop the members of our party (to include Rachel), and grab the crossbowmen. Preferably crushing the Knight and the Crossbowman.
((Do you mind not killing them and keeping them captive enough time for diplomacy to kick in? It already worked with Rachel, and we have nothing to lose, since they would still be trapped. If you are able to control the vines I bet we can keep them imprisoned for as long as we want and get ourselves more NPC meatshields.))
>Yes?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 19, 2012, 07:06:13 pm »

((Do you mind not killing them and keeping them captive enough time for diplomacy to kick in? It already worked with Rachel, and we have nothing to lose, since they would still be trapped. If you are able to control the vines I bet we can keep them imprisoned for as long as we want and get ourselves more NPC meatshields.))

((And there would be absolutely no possibility that they'd kill us while we sleep, or send regular reports back to the empire? Rachel I trust well enough because her sole interest is keeping you as a wubby, the Knecht... I wouldn't trust her if both of her hands were bound, she was mute, deaf, and blind, AND she was under a command spell.

I might trust her if her soul was in a box and her body was being puppeted around by Eric, but that's still iffy.

You'll have your extended diplomacy shot anyway, doubtful that they're all going to die in the same round.))
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 19, 2012, 07:06:45 pm »

((I just saw the title. I am not disappointed. Truely, Draignean pulled a Flagrarus. Also you should all run, once you get out of the thorns.))
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 19, 2012, 07:21:48 pm »

Rhedarios attempted to roll sideways as the omnicidal plant suddenly lashed out to catch all of his group and the female knight as well. His dodging skill was useless and he was grabbed by its thorny vines. Now his party managed to do it. He sighs and turns towards the struggling knight with a pleading look, trying to take advantage of the fact the woman was both in a terrible situation and had little to lose at the moment.
"Miss, please accept my offer, I know you are a good person and both our parties could benefit from cooperation steeming between us, now and for as long as we stay together (preferentially for as long as we live). I realize you are trying to make a name for yourself, which is no honorless campaign, although you have been pushed back in the line of sucession. You will most likely spend the rest of your live chasing criminals in the mud and risking your health for little to no gain and then die before acquiring your rightful title. Our group is heading towards a promising land, where all of us shall be the masters of our destinies. We shall be bound to no Lord, and all which we reap shall be ours. If you happen to join our adventure, your name may go down in history not as a knight that died forgotten amidst dirt, but as a powerful Lord among the few able to tame the wild lands of..err...the place we are going."

Rhedarios tries to convince the woman with cuteness, a meek demeanor and a hell lot of arguing. Again. Depending on how much of a free action talking is, he moves on to the archers. He also jams the sharp ends of the Talon into the vine or vines keeping hold of him and attempts to rip along the seam of the plant's thick fibers. ((Which is a claw attack with more flavor. I am not trying to create a new skill, so no trying to stick negatives and horrifying consequences here  :P))

« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:48:52 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 43