Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43

Author Topic: Outcast Power RTD (Prologue: Waking Up And Not)  (Read 72335 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outcast Power RTD (Prologue Begins)
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2012, 01:38:38 am »

Rhedarios sighs. He wants to return to his homeland someday and liberate the people...But he has to stay alive for that to happen.
"I say we should be the masters of our own destiny and attempt to be dungeon lords ourselves. Haven't we suffered enough in the hands of those higher than us?"
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2012, 02:32:12 am »

"Which Dungeon Lords need a commander for their armies? Which of them will stand up to the Dark Empire?"
"Ah, that's why I've brought these here scrolls," he says, patting the bag. "This here's every reliable lead I could find fer one option or the other; now granted, I don't know everythin', but unless you've got better whispers and reliable at that, all the answers yer likely to get can be found in this here bag."

It occurs to you that you could probably search through the bag looking for something specific, but that there's only so many options. You count maybe a dozen scrolls in the bag.

((In other words, there's 6 choices for each option; you use them by stating what features you're looking for, which are then rolled for. The results are then those aspects on one of your potential settling locations/job offers, which will obviously be somewhat complex besides.

Also note that some options may have hidden conditions or consequences, as the scrolls are not all-knowing.))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2012, 02:38:54 am »

Lamar is intrigued by the appearance of a creature called Rhedarios who appears to be half man and half lizard in the group surrounding the pirates table and idly wonders if his reptilian appearance is natural or magical in nature.
When this man sighs and states that he will attempt to become a dungeon master himself Lamar decides to join him in his attempt if only to discern if it is indeed a magical alteration and if so whether it would be possible to discover how to replicate and improve the process.

((also am i the intense or imposing human? my moneys on intense))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2012, 03:13:56 am »

~Current Issues~

Caellath
Usually the furred ones are more prone to charm other species due to their fame of being meek and sometimes beautiful due to their unnatural features (translated as can I have +1 for charisma/charming-related rolls?), but they have difficulty when trying to intimidate someone due to their aforementioned stereotype (-1 to intimidation rolls).
+1 friendly/peaceful/benign social interactions, -1 hostile/coercive social interactions would work just fine, as could something like +1 Seduction, -1 Intimidation. Extending that to magical charm effects or similar would need an additional corresponding penalty, probably one that's more likely to come up than, say, -1 to magical intimidation and fear effects.

Major Skill: Apprentice Dual-Wielder [True Grit](Fighting whilst using two weapons at the same time, whatever may those be) (+2)
Dual-wielding as a skill could work, but it would mean any skill-related benefits you got would be focused around the concepts of dual-wielding, rather than the qualities of any specific weapon.

Minor Skill: Novice Scavenger (The art of searching: boosts search rolls related to objects, such as food and items) (+1)
Slightly dubious of this as a skill. A skill that governed searching for anything and everything inanimate would probably be too powerful; a more focused skill might be useless or going into territory that should probably be an unmodified roll.

-[Worn, damaged and dirtied] Sunderer Light Armor and Attire - Obsidian black armor, composed of pauldrons, a large plate incrusted with a large bluish-purple gem on its center and smaller ones covering neck, forearms, shin and other important points. The attire is mostly a robe colored white and dark blue, with occasional hints of silver with writings onto it, with a dark blue greatcoat hanging from his shoulders. The part around the neck of the wearer makes use of a generous amount of white fur. Both the light armor and the robes are worn and severely damaged, basically taking away almost any protection they once provided.
I'm not sure I understand the part about the greatcoat.

Unholy_Pariah
Minor Skill: Enchanting (+1)
Since this school isn't on the list, we'll need to work out what it does.

Enchanting is the art of imbuing objects with magical power. Enchantment allows the caster to imbue weapons with flame, armor with increased strength, and food trays with preserving qualities- but only if the caster has the appropriate secondary skills to draw upon. An enchanter with no other knowledge can manage a few "pure" enchantments, but is generally fairly useless by most reckonings. It is generally more well-known and valued for permanent effects, but as with most magic, permanent enchantments are essentially just far more difficult to pull off versions of normal, temporary spells.

How's this?

HmH
Race: Half-Orc. More precisely, a magical hybrid of Orc and Human, created by a warlock of enormous talent who sought loyal commanders for his army. (Good at establishing dominance through threats and merciless beatings. Bad at making all sorts of compromises, including diplomacy, bargaining and being polite.)
+1 to hostile negotiations (intimidation, essentially), -1 to benign negotiations (traditional negotations, flattery, etc)?

Draignean and on still being worked on.

((also am i the intense or imposing human? my moneys on intense))
Yep, intense. You're intelligent but impulsive, the other one's intimidating and charismatic.

Also, you're still just talking for now; it's not clear whether Rhedarios will actually go off and do that yet.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2012, 03:30:59 am »

Unholy_Pariah
Minor Skill: Enchanting (+1)
Since this school isn't on the list, we'll need to work out what it does.

Enchanting is the art of imbuing objects with magical power. Enchantment allows the caster to imbue weapons with flame, armor with increased strength, and food trays with preserving qualities- but only if the caster has the appropriate secondary skills to draw upon. An enchanter with no other knowledge can manage a few "pure" enchantments, but is generally fairly useless by most reckonings. It is generally more well-known and valued for permanent effects, but as with most magic, permanent enchantments are essentially just far more difficult to pull off versions of normal, temporary spells.

How's this?

to be honest i only wrote down enchantment because i thought it would be useful to be able to enchant gear for people, what i really wanted for my character was the ability to alter and control living beings to make them stronger and more interesting for use as an army but i didn't know the what the word was for that magic school.

also i plan on following him anyway so ill tend to just agree with whatever he does until i can work out how to make myself into an Argonian fire mage.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 03:42:03 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2012, 04:16:30 am »

@IronyOwl: That's it if you assume 'intimidating' to have a broader meaning, like 'enhanced persuasion techniques'. Drill-sergeanting, burying people alive to establish dominance, arranging severed heads in an aesthetically pleasing manner... all that orcish stuff.

My penalty has a broader meaning as well: Eric is poor at tolerating people he doesn't like, meaning he is rather susceptible to taunts as well as bad at benign negotiations. I think I mentioned it in the Mental Description... *reads the sheet again* oh, whoops, I must have edited that part out. My bad.

"A word from the wise, mostly-human: being a Lord may seem less demanding than working for one, but being a good Lord is far harder than being a good henchman. Some of these Lords will get you killed, some are a sure way to get rich and powerful. You only need to find the right ones."
With these words, Eric grabbed a heap of scrolls from the bag and started sorting them out.

Search for a Dungeon Lord similar to the warlock Kelhor as he was in his early days: ambitious and willing to expand, living near a major trade route that we'll be able to raid, with a few villages nearby to provide troops for our army.
UPD: Also see if the job descriptions mention how well any particular dungeon is prepared for a siege.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 11:56:03 am by HmH »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2012, 04:34:48 am »

discuss possible starting locations for dungeons/keeps and do a quick scan of the scrolls to see if there is a dungeon lord
with an interest in "enhancing" existing creatures or is at least unopposed to the creation of genetic abominations.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

if i may have a moment of your time sir orc, you may also wish to check whether any of the dungeons have nearby wildlife
or water sources so that they might become self sufficient... an existing escape route wouldn't hurt either
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 04:36:22 am by Unholy_Pariah »

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2012, 05:54:58 am »

"Wildlife? No Dark Lord worth their salt would... hmm. You make a good point, actually. While I'm sure there will be very few mentions of the food situation in the job offers, one can't assume every competent Lord has a self-sufficient base; after all, food and water supplies are not the only consideration in choosing the place for a dungeon. Good thinking!"

(Updated the action.)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 12:35:45 pm by HmH »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2012, 06:38:53 am »

"Being my own master could be fun, and I don't mind the work. Maybe a site with lots of gems or ore."
Look for a semi-isolated mountain site where I could mine valuable minerals/gems for export.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2012, 07:19:52 am »

+1 friendly/peaceful/benign social interactions, -1 hostile/coercive social interactions would work just fine, as could something like +1 Seduction, -1 Intimidation. Extending that to magical charm effects or similar would need an additional corresponding penalty, probably one that's more likely to come up than, say, -1 to magical intimidation and fear effects.
((No, not aiming for magical charm here. What I wanted was just +1 on the cutebold scale. You can either use something where the "cutebold effect" applies or simply switch to the friendly/peaceful/benign thing, though.))
Dual-wielding as a skill could work, but it would mean any skill-related benefits you got would be focused around the concepts of dual-wielding, rather than the qualities of any specific weapon.
((Around the concepts of dual-wielding? Like being able to attack with both weapons in the same turn? Please elaborate.))
Slightly dubious of this as a skill. A skill that governed searching for anything and everything inanimate would probably be too powerful; a more focused skill might be useless or going into territory that should probably be an unmodified roll.
((Well, you could replace it with Smithing, since he did create his own glove, but I would like to know if "Repair things with smithing" would be a different skill.))
I'm not sure I understand the part about the greatcoat.
((The greatcoat is draped over his shoulders. Dark blue-colored and silver-lined.))
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2012, 07:32:50 am »

Rhedarios runs his eyes across the scrolls. His opportunity of freedom could be anywhere.
"I shall bow down to no one after having to escape death by the hands of those who I respected and swore fealty to. I shall control my destiny from now on."
He starts to nibble on one of his own long white-furred ears while checking the scrolls for data. Being resolute was not among the list of things he was used to do, but he supposed he would have to change a great deal now that he was an escaped criminal.

Rhedarios checks for a place with food, water (rivers or lakes) and mineral wealth where he could start his own hole. He also checks for aggressive creatures.

>Yes?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2012, 10:15:16 am »

"Hmmph," Clarence coughed dustily. "All this talk death and fealty, dreadfully dry. Has anyone ordered drinks?" Everyone seemed busy with more important things, so Illi shrugged and turned his attention to the Pirates bag. "I've owned a shop for... well I've forgotten how long I owned it, but I'm sure it was awhile. The point being that I feel perfectly qualified to run a dungeon, though I am already in my pajamas..."

Look for a dungeon location that will provide a variety of alchemical ingredients from flora and fauna, running water and plenty of sunlight are a must.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2012, 10:30:35 am »

((@Draignean: Ohhh, sunlight. Rhedarios may join you to roll on the grass and bask in the sun while you work.))
>Yes?

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2012, 02:17:03 pm »

"Could I interest any of you gentlemen in a... Defensive pact?"
Gus asks, hoping to unite with his fellow outcasts.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2012, 03:33:30 pm »

"A word from the wise, mostly-human: being a Lord may seem less demanding than working for one, but being a good Lord is far harder than being a good henchman. Some of these Lords will get you killed, some are a sure way to get rich and powerful. You only need to find the right ones."
With these words, Eric grabbed a heap of scrolls from the bag and started sorting them out.

Search for a Dungeon Lord similar to the warlock Kelhor as he was in his early days: ambitious and willing to expand, living near a major trade route that we'll be able to raid, with a few villages nearby to provide troops for our army.
UPD: Also see if the job descriptions mention how well any particular dungeon is prepared for a siege.

[4][2][6] You paw around in the bag, glancing at scrolls until you find one that catches your eye. It appears to be a letter, though it doesn't explicitly mention how well-prepared he would be for a siege.

Fallas you filthy whore, you think this will stop me? I already
control Galren and Soroth, Methrel lies in ashes and Siprel is pleading for
mercy as we speak. A few butchered goblins will not save you, your
people, or your soul. Ready yourself, for my hordes are still limitless
and your kingdom is still mine.

-Sarvak, Lord of Destruction

discuss possible starting locations for dungeons/keeps and do a quick scan of the scrolls to see if there is a dungeon lord
with an interest in "enhancing" existing creatures or is at least unopposed to the creation of genetic abominations.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

if i may have a moment of your time sir orc, you may also wish to check whether any of the dungeons have nearby wildlife
or water sources so that they might become self sufficient... an existing escape route wouldn't hurt either

((By the way, you can use the [ h r ] tag to create a line, rather than doing it manually. It's a bit lighter and thinner, but it is easier.))

[1] A scroll catches your eye, mentioning something about horrible abominations. As you start reading it, it becomes clear that this is not what you were after at all.

I wish to devote this particular manuscript to the study of Lord Helsess, a truly resplendent Dungeon Lord as far as these things go. Unlike most of his vile, simpering kin, Lord Helsess maintains the strictest codes of honor and decency. I managed to catch up with him just as he was finished defiling a maiden during one of his conquests.

"I understand it, Lord Helsess" I spoke to the noble Lord, "That you completely eschew all things foul and nefarious in your schemings."

"Indeed!" he replied, magnificent in his gleaming armor, "For no undead nor other magical abominations dare grace my army's banners. When the captives have been properly flayed, they are artfully impaled on spikes as warning and decoration, not transformed into shambling crimes against all decency."

"How wonderful!" I exclaimed, noting the pride with which he spoke. "Can you say why more Dungeon Lords, indeed why more lords in general, do not follow your shining example?"

"Nay," he cried, with the practiced sorrow of one all too familiar with a reasonless evil. "'Tis simply that such creatures are useful, to cowards and knaves, beggars and thieves, weaklings and savages. Why they do not cast off the chains of their decay and embrace righteousness, I sadly do not know."

His eyes at this point took on the most heroic of sadnesses, and I could not help but feel moved by his valor and virtue. Truly, here was a Lord worthy of the title!

In the next installment of Hieramus Harackus' breathtaking interviews, he examines the peculiar culinary habits of the Queen of Spikes.

"Being my own master could be fun, and I don't mind the work. Maybe a site with lots of gems or ore."
Look for a semi-isolated mountain site where I could mine valuable minerals/gems for export.
[3][4] You manage to retrieve what looks like a geological survey.

21st Granite- Arrived at site. Scattered villages all around, rumors of Goldenboats being around here somewhere. No sign of them yet though. Mostly goatmen, some others.

Surveys look good- heavily jungled stone juts, sufficient mineral wealth within them. Natives might be a problem, mainly as thieves. Premium on gemstones, might make good trading partners if they had anything in return. Some exotic meats.

Threats of wildlife, local rumors of worse things. Requires further investigation to confirm, but not to settle.

Rhedarios runs his eyes across the scrolls. His opportunity of freedom could be anywhere.
"I shall bow down to no one after having to escape death by the hands of those who I respected and swore fealty to. I shall control my destiny from now on."
He starts to nibble on one of his own long white-furred ears while checking the scrolls for data. Being resolute was not among the list of things he was used to do, but he supposed he would have to change a great deal now that he was an escaped criminal.

Rhedarios checks for a place with food, water (rivers or lakes) and mineral wealth where he could start his own hole. He also checks for aggressive creatures.
((I assumed you meant you wanted aggressive creatures? If you didn't, erm, oops.))

[2][2][4][5] Something catches your eye, but it's not exactly what you were looking for.

Report on the Barren Fields, by Apprentice Mythrar

The Barren Fields are a somewhat rocky wasteland of no apparent value, but hold many secrets.

The Barren Fields contain dried riverbeds. This means there used to be rivers here, but now there aren't.

The Barren Fields contain very fertile soil beneath the surface. According to my research, this means they used to have a lot of plant life in them, but now they don't.

The Barren Fields contain lots of minerals. This means they would make a good place for a mine.

The Barren Fields contain disturbing animals that are very dangerous and strange. They are not like animals here. No one knows where they come from.

In conclusion, The Barren Fields are a dangerous but interesting place.

"Hmmph," Clarence coughed dustily. "All this talk death and fealty, dreadfully dry. Has anyone ordered drinks?" Everyone seemed busy with more important things, so Illi shrugged and turned his attention to the Pirates bag. "I've owned a shop for... well I've forgotten how long I owned it, but I'm sure it was awhile. The point being that I feel perfectly qualified to run a dungeon, though I am already in my pajamas..."

Look for a dungeon location that will provide a variety of alchemical ingredients from flora and fauna, running water and plenty of sunlight are a must.
[4][1][4][1] You find an interesting-looking scroll. It's not quite what you had in mind, though.

Dark Lord Sytheriss,

I have completed my survey of the Horn of the Atradox, as per your orders. It appears in most ways to be similar to the rest of the Rift, in that it is bright yet there is void all about, plants of truly fascinating properties abound, as do animals that feed primarily by destroying these properties, and water courses out of nowhere before flowing back into the void. I have been unable to determine any particular properties regarding the Horn, beyond being made of stone as was assumed.

-Sril

Dungeon Lords
Spoiler: Lord Helsess The Clean (click to show/hide)
-?
-?
-?
-?

Dungeon Locations
Spoiler: Jungle Juts (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Barren Fields (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Rift (click to show/hide)
-?
-?
-?

Will continue addressing issues later.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43