Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Beer jars  (Read 2681 times)

cybergon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beer jars
« on: May 11, 2012, 10:43:38 pm »

It just hit me today. I can accept there being no plates, silverware or napkins, that's ok. But come on people, Urist drinking booze out of the barrell? in the stockpiles? For Armok's sake, he needs a jar so he can smash it against another dorf's jar in celebration.

Make it happen.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Beer jars
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 10:44:19 pm »

I believe using mugs is planned with the upcoming taverns.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

cybergon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 10:51:55 pm »

I believe using mugs is planned with the upcoming taverns.

Is it now? But mugs are so small though...

And don't forget the part where they smash em' together. We need big metal jars.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 10:58:53 pm by cybergon »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 11:02:00 pm »

Well, they're going to drink from goblets/mugs/cups. 

Nobody drinks from jars, anyway.  Jars are what you put jelly or leftover soup in.  (And they're not any larger than a mug, either.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

cybergon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 11:10:06 pm »

Well, they're going to drink from goblets/mugs/cups. 

Nobody drinks from jars, anyway.  Jars are what you put jelly or leftover soup in.  (And they're not any larger than a mug, either.)

Whoops, I realize now my english is not as good as it used to be. I was indeed thinking of mugs, sorry about that!

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 11:17:50 pm »

Nonono, what we really need are steins! Big old fashioned beer steins, the most dorfish drinking utensil of all :D

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 11:20:56 pm »

Nonono, what we really need are steins! Big old fashioned beer steins, the most dorfish drinking utensil of all :D

Yeah, I was just thinking that, but metal goblets are just called "goblets", not steins.  (Although technically, stoneware steins exist, too...)

I guess Toady just prefers the image of those big golden goblets with gemstones from all the old D&D manual illustrations to dwarfy beer steins.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

cybergon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 11:27:54 pm »

yesyesyes, and have the bonecarver make them out of horns too along with the metalcrafter, glass maker and potter.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 11:56:41 pm »

beer jars

Am I the only one who read this and immediately thought of moonshine Dwarfshine?
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 07:25:43 am »

When I visited the USA a couple of the restaurants we ate at served drinks in old preserve jars.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 03:01:27 pm »

I just thought of a dwarf drinking beer out of a mason jar. And I was just like "Eh, I can see that." They're a pretty dwarfy thing to drink out of if you ask me.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 03:46:47 pm »

Steins are normally associated with German culture, whilst Dwarves are typically portrayed as part-Norse, part-Celtic. Although that said, more different varieties of drinking vessel and more ways to decorate them would be nice once they serve a purpose. Perhaps some day we could even have specific kinds of drinking vessel for different kinds of beverage.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 04:37:00 pm »

Steins are normally associated with German culture, whilst Dwarves are typically portrayed as part-Norse, part-Celtic. Although that said, more different varieties of drinking vessel and more ways to decorate them would be nice once they serve a purpose. Perhaps some day we could even have specific kinds of drinking vessel for different kinds of beverage.

Urist was delighted to drink top-quality brandy recently. Urist was mildly annoyed that she had to drink brandy from a champaign flute recently.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 06:28:55 pm »

Urist was delighted to drink top-quality brandy recently. Urist was mildly annoyed that she had to drink brandy from a champaign flute recently.
Something like that. Though obviously that would depend to some extent on the personality of the dwarf; ones who don't have much time for tradition and custom would likely be quite happy drinking wine out of a beer stein if nothing else was available, while others get stroppy if they can't properly enjoy the aroma of a good brandy before drinking it, or if their bitter is served in a glass without a handle.

On the other hand. maybe there should actually be some sort of perceived quality boost for drinks served in the correct fashion; I'm fairly certain it doesn't make that much difference in real life (the brandy example is one thing, but the amount of sheer unmitigated cobblers people talk about the shape of a wineglass...), but in a fantasy game I guess anything goes.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 06:45:05 pm »

I hate having to drink soda out of cans, I love bottles though. Makes me smile, so happiness from good drinking cups and such would be realistic. For picky dwarves atleast.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute
Pages: [1] 2