Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: So they found more of the mayan calender.  (Read 18049 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So they found more of the mayan calender.
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2012, 10:18:42 pm »

From what I understand we've still got well over a billion years before the calendar runs out of numerals. But even then all that would happen is we just wouldn't know what to call the next numeral.

I find it funny that they made a calendar capable of counting over a billion years into the future. They certainly seemed to expect their civilization to last a long time.

Still, 3000 years is a decent run for an ancient civilization, most struggled to last more than two.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2012, 10:43:18 pm »

I find it funny that they made a calendar capable of counting over a billion years into the future. They certainly seemed to expect their civilization to last a long time.
If memory serves it was actually part of their religion that the world would be renewed every so many thousands of years remaking everything, and had already happened multiple times.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2012, 01:44:05 am »

Also maniac, you can't just call dibs on becoming a death god.

My plan was to just kill off the competition.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2012, 03:09:59 am »

From what I understand we've still got well over a billion years before the calendar runs out of numerals. But even then all that would happen is we just wouldn't know what to call the next numeral.

Still, 3000 years is a decent run for an ancient civilization, most struggled to last more than two.
I suppose its interesting, but it isn't really indicative of how long they expected their civilization to last, similarly the modern calendar can go for a googleplex more years (and thats not even bothering with stuff like ten googleplex) till we run out of things to call the years, and I don't think that anyone expects modern civilization to outlast the heat-death of trillions of universes set end on end.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2012, 07:54:41 am »

I suppose its interesting, but it isn't really indicative of how long they expected their civilization to last, similarly the modern calendar can go for a googleplex more years (and thats not even bothering with stuff like ten googleplex) till we run out of things to call the years, and I don't think that anyone expects modern civilization to outlast the heat-death of trillions of universes set end on end.
Except for Twinkies and SPAM, which probably will be around at the heat-death of the universe.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2012, 07:59:53 am »

So you're saying in a few trillion years, mankind will not only have made some things truly impervious to the passage of time, but they will be Twinkies and Spam?

What a legacy to leave.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2012, 10:02:25 am »

Someday alien archaeologists will be mystified by our legacy of edible non-food products.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2012, 10:45:50 am »

"The Ancients' burial practice appears to have involved rendering their flesh into a non-degrading slurry and sealing it within cans. Also, it appears that they all took the posthumous name Pam, as the label of the can clearly indicate its contents: S'Pam."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2012, 11:26:38 am »

Either that, or they'll think we somehow managed to turn junk email into a pseudo-meat product.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2012, 02:06:12 pm »

So to survive the heat death of the universe, mankind must evolve into spam?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2012, 02:10:49 pm »

I don't think I'm willing to pay that price.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2012, 02:48:22 pm »

You might want to say "tylenol_ for the benefit of our American audience
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2012, 01:47:01 pm »

maybe the world keeps on going because people keep on making end of the world prophecies
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2012, 01:49:45 pm »

maybe the world keeps on going because people keep on making end of the world prophecies

:O

QUICK! EVERYONE MAKE YOUR PROPHECIES!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2012, 04:09:11 pm »

I'm gonna need a really, really big roulette wheel.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8