Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: So they found more of the mayan calender.  (Read 18038 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: So they found more of the mayan calender.
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2012, 11:50:27 am »

Meh, a lot of it is misinterpretation, combined with the fact that the Mesoamerican calendrical system uses a lot of odd shit like base-18 and base-20 counts.

The doomsday theory revolves around the fact that this date in December will be the end of a b'ak'tun, a Long Count period corresponding to a period of about 394 years. Obviously, it's not the first time we've gotten to the end of a b'ak'tun. The bigger event will be when we get to the end of the current piktun (20 baktuns), in October 4772, since a piktun is a period of 7,885 years (and according to the Maya, this world began at the beginning of this piktun, in 3113 BC).

tldr; This is equivalent of reaching the year 1900 and going "OMG ROUND NUMBER WE ALL GONNA DIE", when in fact the year 2000 would be a much bigger deal, even by the round-number "logic".

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2012, 12:01:46 pm »

Meh, a lot of it is misinterpretation, combined with the fact that the Mesoamerican calendrical system uses a lot of odd shit like base-18 and base-20 counts.

The doomsday theory revolves around the fact that this date in December will be the end of a b'ak'tun, a Long Count period corresponding to a period of about 394 years. Obviously, it's not the first time we've gotten to the end of a b'ak'tun. The bigger event will be when we get to the end of the current piktun (20 baktuns), in October 4772, since a piktun is a period of 7,885 years (and according to the Maya, this world began at the beginning of this piktun, in 3113 BC).

tldr; This is equivalent of reaching the year 1900 and going "OMG ROUND NUMBER WE ALL GONNA DIE", when in fact the year 2000 would be a much bigger deal, even by the round-number "logic".
So much for all that carbon dating.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2012, 12:24:14 pm »

The Lords of Xibalba have been putting extra carbon into everything to screw with us. (Hey, if that excuse works for Christian fundies, then the Mayans shoud be able to use it too....)

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2012, 12:27:27 pm »

Maybe Huitzilopochtli's thirst for blood and souls has been satisfied (for the moment)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2012, 12:40:39 pm »

Carbon dating is pretty unreliable anywhere around 4000 years, and you won't be able to salvage any useful data anywhere around 5500.
That's why when Scientists, Geologists or anyone looking for the age of something pretty damn old are looking at something, they use much better alternatives

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2012, 12:54:04 pm »

Carbon dating is pretty unreliable anywhere around 4000 years, and you won't be able to salvage any useful data anywhere around 5500.
That's why when Scientists, Geologists or anyone looking for the age of something pretty damn old are looking at something, they use much better alternatives
I think potassium-argon dating was part of Camazotz the Bat God's domain. 'Cause dat guano has a lot of potassium.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2012, 05:08:22 pm »

The Lords of Xibalba have been putting extra carbon into everything to screw with us. (Hey, if that excuse works for Christian fundies, then the Mayans shoud be able to use it too....)
Wait, I thought the christian fundies were blaming some hockey guy...

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2012, 05:11:03 pm »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2012, 05:15:57 pm »

Well, to be fair, he looks like he's up to no good.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2012, 07:18:30 pm »

Well, to be fair, he looks like he's up to no good.

Yeah, you just can't trust those Czechs.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2012, 09:09:27 pm »

So basically the Crazy Mayan Cult Calendar (tm) they found before just was like volume 1 or maybe the "travel sized" version. Not so much "doomsday" as "see book 2-whatever."

I like this interpretion.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2012, 09:12:49 pm »

incidentally, doesn't the bible mention something about no-one but god knowing when the rapture would be?

if so, that means that if you are Christian, you just need to predict that the world will end every day, and it won't.

I always found it slightly amusing that what Camping was preaching was technically blasphemy, and any real biblical scholar would call him out on the fact. God's all like "No man shall know the hour of my coming!" and Camping's all like "I totally know, look I worked it out because I R so smart!", if not actually blasphemy then at least pretty arrogant to suggest you've figured out something the almighty has explicitly stated no-one will know.

Also maniac, you can't just call dibs on becoming a death god. Do you have any idea how complicated and arcane the ritual is? There's a form to fill out.

Then you need a background check, this usually takes 7 to 10 working days.

Then there's a three-stage interview process (the first one is one of those stupid personality tests), but I have to tell you now, if you don't have at least 1000 years of death-godding under your belt already then don't bother; the Death God field is pretty crazy right now.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2012, 09:37:20 pm »

incidentally, doesn't the bible mention something about no-one but god knowing when the rapture would be?

if so, that means that if you are Christian, you just need to predict that the world will end every day, and it won't.

I always found it slightly amusing that what Camping was preaching was technically blasphemy, and any real biblical scholar would call him out on the fact. God's all like "No man shall know the hour of my coming!" and Camping's all like "I totally know, look I worked it out because I R so smart!", if not actually blasphemy then at least pretty arrogant to suggest you've figured out something the almighty has explicitly stated no-one will know.

Also maniac, you can't just call dibs on becoming a death god. Do you have any idea how complicated and arcane the ritual is? There's a form to fill out.

Then you need a background check, this usually takes 7 to 10 working days.

Then there's a three-stage interview process (the first one is one of those stupid personality tests), but I have to tell you now, if you don't have at least 1000 years of death-godding under your belt already then don't bother; the Death God field is pretty crazy right now.
There's also a drug test. Believe me, the market for untainted death god urine is very competitive.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2012, 10:01:17 pm »

Non-disclosure, rights waiver, soul leasing, divine ability aptitude tests (DAAT), major god advanced placement tests, past experience, extra-divine activities, vow of justice...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2012, 10:05:29 pm »

I'm pretty sure even god doesn't know, which just sort've implies it'll happen, irregardless of what god. That may have just been a specific denomination though.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8