Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Infection control : kind of "Atom zombie smasher" like (Open source)  (Read 9634 times)

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello !

Zombies spread in town. Nuke them from space or infect them with bioengineered viruses.

EDIT : v 1.3 released (06/12/2012)

Working on hardcorepawn's code, I have improved a small java "Atom Zombie Smasher" like game : http://www.flap.fr/Zombie/ or www.indiedb.com/games/zombie-infection-control-center

(picture in spoiler) :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Your task is to control a zombie infection with 20 various weapons and devices :
- nuke : destroy everything in a relatively small area
- train soldiers : turn some humans into soldiers who will shoot at zombies (but these can be turned into zomies too)
- troops supply : gives ammo to troops (each soldier is limited to 8 shots)
- group troops : have soldiers to stay relatively close to de signated place
- disband : soldiers will go away from the place
- headquarter : every turn will turn close humans inot soldiers, have them to stay close to the place and give them ammo
- quick bomb : after 1/4 of a turn, will explode  with a medium sized radius
- bomb : after 1/2 of a turn, will explode
- big bomb : after 3/4 of a turn will explode with a large radius
- mine : will explode when a zombie gets close
- big mine : wil explode when a zombie gets close (relatively large radius)
- mine field : drops many mines in the area
- drop dirt : drops material similar to walls (zombies can dig it)
- pour concrete : drops material in a small area, harder for the zombies to dig.
- meeting point : humans will gather around on place.
- forbidden area : humans will flee the area
- zombie bait : zombies will be attracted
- zombie repellent : zombies should flee the area
- inoculate humans : will turn humans into short lived zombies that will attack both humans and zombies (every new generation is weaker, so after a while they all die)
- bioweapon : will turn zombies into short lived zombies, attacking only usual zombies.

And there are 5 different challenges, including eradicating human population (mad scientist that you are...)

Feel free to comment !
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:57:41 am by flap »

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tiny "Atom zombie smasher" like (Open source)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 09:47:40 am »

Hey, Processing! Internet fist bump for using obscure things.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 09:53:08 am »

Ha ! That's what it takes to use someone else's code... But processing was easy enough to learn.

However, I apologize in advance for your poor eyes (especially in turn based mode)
(next update is very likely to focus on drawing things twice bigger.)

Weapon and behaviour suggestions are welcome.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 10:54:14 am »

Sometimes when I place soldiers no soldiers appear.  Am I placing too close to zombies or something?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 11:44:31 am »

The soldier description says that it turns humans into soldiers, so you can't just will more soldiers into existence out of nothing.

The last time I played something made in Processing was years ago, so thanks for the nostalgia-bomb, Flap.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 11:53:20 am »

Sometimes when I place soldiers no soldiers appear.  Am I placing too close to zombies or something?

Xotes replied correctly. (hey, first steps with processing for me...)

But, once that I would have done more work (understand "made weapons"), I will try to provide better explanations about what is happening (for example light pink dots are panicked humans who saw a zombie, or saw someone who saw one. Light green zombies are zombies who saw a human and are running to eat it. Those 2 parts had already been implemented when I took the code.
You might also spot that soldiers sometimes turn lighter : it is when they shot a zombie, and they now retreat, still facing the zombies)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 11:54:55 am by flap »

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 08:49:00 pm »

sorry for incompetence, but how do you play this game?

I've downloaded the processing thing and see that it has some sort of window to compile and play in or something (I still, have very little computer sense, and anything that does not do what *I think it should* baffles me)

My main question is can I copy the stuff in the source code and paste it in the window and then press play?
I will try it and pray it works. 

*Constitutes downloading and double clicking some icon to run the program*

Update: It did not work. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 09:11:12 pm by alamoes »

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 02:05:24 am »

Ha. When you load the web page, it should start straight away. But you need to have java installed and activated in your browser (you might try reinstalling java if it doesn't work...).
The code is not required, and only for those who wish to build on it...

EDIT :
Version V1.1 released.The display is now twice bigger, that's less eyes bleeding...
Also if anyone whishes to follow the game, there is an indieDb page.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 05:55:05 pm by flap »

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 05:17:12 pm »

I got it to work in google chrome.  I still don't know why it won't work in internet explorer.  All of the other zombie sims work.  I pinpointed the problem to my browser, I guess. 

ardesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 05:36:59 pm »

Ha. When you load the web page, it should start straight away. But you need to have java installed and activated in your browser (you might try reinstalling java if it doesn't work...).
The code is not required, and only for those who wish to build on it...

EDIT :
Version V1.1 released.The display is now twice bigger, that's less eyes bleeding...
Also if anyone whishes to follow the game, there is an indieDb page.

pity... your game says i dont have java... but im using openjdk7

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 08:50:38 am »

I got it to work in google chrome.  I still don't know why it won't work in internet explorer.  All of the other zombie sims work.  I pinpointed the problem to my browser, I guess.

Hmm. I have tried with IE at home too, and had the same problem. I will investigate that issue. @ardesh, well, I often found java applications not that reliable at finding java in the computer... I don't know if I can do much about that. I'll investigate (a standalone version would be cool)

Just for info, development is still going. So far I have have implemented :
- timed bombs,
- mines,
- attractors (attracts or repulse humans, zombies,...),
- and a special infection that you can inoculate to the humans, and create weaker short lived zombies (cheap, but ugly fire break. Gagnark gnark gnark)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:53:07 am by flap »

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 09:13:13 am »

I've found that it does not work in safari either.  ::)
I'll also test fire fox. 

Edit: even the original ones don't work.  [In safari] I get an error box that says: "The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from <C:\PROGRA~2\Oracle\JAVAFX~1.1RU\bin\server\jvm.dll>"

It seems as though java was put in a non-standard spot and I should put it in a "normaler" folder area.  Am I correct?

It works in chrome, so I really have nothing to complain about.   :P
I just want to know what's what and make sure I'm not being too incompetent with my computer. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:30:37 am by alamoes »

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 06:02:08 am »

I have uploaded a new version, with stand alone application (it might partially solve the issue with those who can't play the online version)

There now are 20 different weapons ! Including modified viruses, minefield, or military headquarter. Comments are welcome...

I don't know when will next release be, but it probably mostly focus on interface and stats display (such as how many zombies were killed by your soldiers, number of people you walled alive, people killed by the virus you inoculated,...)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 09:20:14 am »

Pressing escape breaks the game.

Is there any description of what all the different weapons do?

LibidoMax

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble in body and mind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 04:19:20 pm »

I wish Zed were aggressive. They just seem to bump into civilians with no real targeting. They need to crowd around civilians that there attacking for a few seconds and follow them around. Soldiers also need to be nerfed.
That which does not kill me...
Pages: [1] 2 3