Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress.. Just not fun anymore?  (Read 19673 times)

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress.. Just not fun anymore?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2012, 07:35:07 pm »

Create some stupid projects that exist for no reason other than Pure Dwarfiness.
The problem with this is that it is often more tedious and boring than simply creating a stable fort.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2012, 07:49:24 pm »

The solution to your problem is this: play insane amounts of fps games and you will eventually feel like blowing your own brains out (the side effect of interacting with that particular... community) then you'll feel like playing DF again.

A break is always a good thing.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2012, 08:29:02 pm »

The solution to your problem is this: play insane amounts of fps games and you will eventually feel like blowing your own brains out (the side effect of interacting with that particular... community) then you'll feel like playing DF again.

Hah. That right there is one reason I refuse to play an FPS, unless its a 4man FFA in Halo3, or through system link on 360. Much easier to manage the people you play with.

I can't talk video games with people I have classes with (community college) because all they play is Call of Duty, and expect me to be all-knowing, since I was in the Marines and obviously can somehow transfer IRL combat skills and become a noobtube god. *shudder*

I'm old school, and I'm not going anywhere. Centipede, Asteroids, etc. all the way to more modern ones, and of course this magnificent example of a game (but no one I know will even try, regardless of what I tell them.) Ah well, their loss, my gain.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2012, 08:56:25 pm »

Honestly, I don't play DF any more. I'm just waiting for the next release, as it sounds promising.

So yeah, if you ever think Dwarf Fortress is getting stale, take a break and wait for an update.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2012, 09:44:11 pm »

-snip-
 play insane amounts of fps games
-snip-
Is it bad that I read that as "Frames per second games"? I think I need a break from DF
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2012, 12:08:02 am »

...just let the thread die already.
Though by posting here I guess I am part of the problem too D:

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2012, 01:31:21 am »

My general advice is, if DF has become boring, but you still want to play it, then go into your next fortress with a goal in mind.

It can be anything from learning a new mechanic in the new version or figuring out !!SCIENCE!! that the rest of us can use, or just a good old megaproject. The people I'm truly jealous of on these forums are those with an eye for detail and the imagination to use it to write those awesome stories about the dwarfs in their fortresses.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2012, 07:02:50 am »

I tend to alternate DF with some Paradox Interactive games (not Game of Dwarves, I tried it but it's too much "arcade" for a break from DF) and, of course, my RL.

I eventually return to my Mountainhomes, sooner or later.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2012, 08:10:45 am »

@Lich: They've probably heard the stories of military guys playing together and being nigh-unstoppable.

It's pretty true, but it's because teamwork is overpowered. :D

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2012, 09:45:44 am »

@Lich: They've probably heard the stories of military guys playing together and being nigh-unstoppable.

My Little Gamers: Teamwork is OP

Seems about right.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2012, 10:29:12 pm »

I'd still love to see somone in full kit and a C9 bunny hopping.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2012, 12:06:07 am »

I'd still love to see somone in full kit and a C9 bunny hopping.

Hah. My mental image is hilarious.

I hate most modern FPS games simply because the only strategy that works every time is the "balls-to-the-wall assault and shoot everything that moves" strategy. I DID enjoy CoMW2, because of the uber-fast run-and-stab possibility, but that only lasted a few games. Then the annoying 8 year olds started whining, and I could hear them through my muted TV and headset and had to stop. (I exaggerate only a little).

I'll stick to my single player games (Fallout, TES, DF, good stuff like that, something I can either be a demi-god or roleplay a bit) and play Mario Kart with a 5 year old all day rather than deal with that crap again. At least the 5 year old offers a challenge.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2012, 01:57:07 am »

Best advice I can give, based on a lot of trial and error in the same situation, is this:  Don't try to force yourself to enjoy the game, that's the worst thing you can do.  Variety is the spice of life, and as much as we all dream of a game we can play every day for years without ever getting bored with it, we're just not wired for that kind of thing to be possible. 

I was bored with DF, so I started doing some megaprojects and whatnot... but it only made me more bored.  I made the next big mistake, which was taking a break playing other games that are *like* DF, at least as much as any other game could be.  I got bored with them almost immediately, and sabotaged my enjoyment of those games in the process.  Tried A Game of Dwarves, which is like DF ultra-lite with 3d graphics... bored before I finished the campaign.  Tried Shores of Hazeron, which is a first-person 4x Space MMO, but has a similar level of complexity and micro-management to DF, and absolutely loved it for the first 4 days then hit a wall.  I'm convinced I would have loved the hell out of those games, had I not been looking for a DF substitute with similar mechanics. 

Right now, I'm playing Assassin's Creed 3, Hitman: Absolution, and Ace Combat: Assault Horizon and loving it.  Stealth games and fighter combat used to be my two favorite genres, then I burned myself out on them just like I did with DF.  Hadn't touched either genre in years, but now I feel fresh and am actually enjoying them.  I'd suggest taking a serious DF vacation.  If your try to force yourself to enjoy it, then you're only going to enjoy it less.  Switch the whole genre up for a while, do some mindless hacking-and-slashing or some puzzle games, whatever you're into.  Or even, preferably, what you're not into.  Got an old TV series you either haven't watched in ages or always wanted to never had the time?  Watch it on Netflix or Hulu.  Just do anything but trying to squeeze more fun out of a game you love but are bored with, or you might permanently destroy it for yourself. 

Tl;dr:  My favorite food is maple-glazed spiral cut ham.  We had one when my whole extended family got together at my house for Christmas.  Hardly anybody ate it, and I was left with 30 pounds of my favorite food in the world.  Awesome, right?  Not so much.  I can barely look at the stuff now without feeling sick, and it's only been a few days.  In this analogy, Dwarf Fortress = spiral ham. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

xpi0t0s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2013, 02:32:21 pm »

I figured I'd been playing too much Quake 2 (single player) when I got stuck in a lift and started wondering where the console was so that I could get out by typing "noclip".

And yes, I also read "fps games" as "frames per second".  Took a moment to work it out.

I also find the forums a nice break from dwarfing.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2013, 03:39:20 pm »

I love Frames per second games, they are one of a kind.  For me I have fun with DF the most when I'm slackign off from schoolwork.  It gets unhealthy, but meh.  In my free time i just play a game for an hour or so then just switch it up.  May be because of my low attention span, but taking a break from the utter spam that the Dwarves give you can be better for yourself.  It seems the only solution is to take a break, stressing over a game is a sign you're not havign fun.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4