Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress.. Just not fun anymore?  (Read 19671 times)

kingofthescots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress.. Just not fun anymore?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 12:10:31 pm »

I find mods are a big help, variety is always good. Some of the mods that make the base game a lot harder might be good for you. And many of the helper programs like DFhack or quicktrade let me avoid or speed up the tedious bits, so I can get back to whatever mayhem I was planning to cause.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 01:37:37 pm »

I had a lot of fun in 40d during the last few months when everyone was awaiting the release of .31, combining as many mods as I could get to work together.  I was as mystified as the Dwarves when I embarked.  There were dozens of strange plants and metals.  Okay, it's not an intellectual challenge, but it got me through to the new version. 

Right now I am having a little trouble keeping interested in the light of the upcoming mining change.  I keep wanting to try out methods for dealing with it, but without the enhanced stone block and metal bar yields it is suicidal to convert my playing style in the current version.  Not to mention that the gems would be toast with nothing but amateur miners.  On the other hand, it seems silly to keep trying to perfect playing in the current version.  Reading about other people's methods for dealing with things in the current version gives me new things to try out, but I always have in the back of my mind that I may not be able to do those things once mining changes.

Anyway, if the game bores you right now, go play something with lots of eye candy.  It will be a delight for a time, until slowly your need to return to the nitty-gritty world of DF will grow too strong to ignore.   ;D

There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 01:59:58 pm »

I'm currently having the most fun I've had with the game since .40d. Right now (34.07), the game feels more "working" than it has for a very long time, maybe ever. I'm awaiting the mining cart release with some trepidation mostly because I will have to learn to design fortresses all over again. I've taken several months-to-years long breaks from playing DF, and have always discovered a better and more rewarding game waiting when I came back.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 04:34:24 pm »

take a break :]

This. Stop playing DF.

Happened to me before (several times), and I just stopped playing DF. Eventually I remembered this one game I used to enjoy, and while struck by boredom re-ran DF. Long story short, I rediscovered DF, began doing things that seemed new all over again, and since then very few games just had it in them for me.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 04:56:34 pm »

34.07 is a pretty complete stage of DF, but yeah, I've taken breaks of six months or more when I've gotten bored of the game. In fact I haven't even updated my sig here from the last time I took a break!

Anyway just come back to it later, or else come up with a specific idea for a new kind of fortress to build, would be my advice.

PS: The military is different enough now and takes enough relearning that you may want to stick things out until you field yourself some troops.

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 05:25:11 pm »

i find i enjoy reading the nutty forums more than playing the game, most times.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2012, 06:01:26 pm »

people go in periods. Every so often you hear the call of the dorf, a fey mood strikes you and you begin dorfing frantically and maniacally. And then you're done and bored for awhile.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 05:51:59 pm »

I'm taking a break waiting for the minecarts.  That might help you, too.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 03:29:45 pm »

Short of erasing your memory?
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mine?

I had to dig out my password just to say that this was a brilliant comment. That is all.

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2012, 03:45:47 pm »

Embark into preposterously indefensible situations and then specialize in something strange like livestock exports

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2012, 04:35:58 pm »

Back in the 40d day, I just loved Dwarf Fortress.

I came back to it today, but it just isn't fun anymore? I find everything so tedious - watching dwarves explode just isn't fun or rewarding anymore.

Any tips for easing back into it?

give your self a challenge but not one that is entirely impossible

Do what I did and settle on a half terrifying and half serene biome and build a giant fortress to hold back the never ending tides of the undead and slowly build up an army of battle hardened zombie slayers

(jk all your marksdwarves will die in their towers as ravens go through the fortifications and peck out their eyes while they are sleeping)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 04:55:22 pm »

Does no one notice how Ñ This thread is?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 05:25:01 pm »

Sounds like it's megaproject time!  Build a temple to Armok out of steel and glass!  Drop prisoners fifty z levels onto a spiked altar!  And if any putz wastes a mood on an artifact earring, drown them in magma to show Armok's wrath!

Fixed that for you.

I'd suggest a break. Eventually you'll go into a strange mood and need to come back. Unlike dwarves, players can have multiple strange moods.

You can also try signing up for a succession game.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2012, 06:25:50 pm »

Does no one notice how Ñ This thread is?

Heh, yeah, ancient thread is ancient. Still, there are worse ones to bring back... we all need a break from time to time! :D

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2012, 06:43:02 pm »

Create some stupid projects that exist for no reason other than Pure Dwarfiness.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4