Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress.. Just not fun anymore?  (Read 19664 times)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress.. Just not fun anymore?
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2013, 03:48:08 pm »

It also happens to me some times, but it's calling me back again. I think the user interface is one of the top things in the game that really needs some optimizing. If simply "doing stuff" wasn't so complicated and cumbersome I'd bet money that the number of people who play the game would increase as would how often they come back to play more. Half the difficulty curve of Dwarf Fortress is dealing with the interface. How to use it, and finding out where things are and weird key bindings for some things. It's very time consuming and tedious at times.

My second most pressing issue is simply getting started. As in, getting a decent embark site. It really, REALLY sucks when you dump a bunch of time into a Fort only to find very little of interest as far as available materials, cave systems, or ambient beasties goes. A little more freedom in embark rules would be nice so you can customize your initial set up for challenges or just a simple change from the norm.

I really think Mineral Scarcity needs to be split into two settings. Diversity, and Vein size. As it is now, if it's highish, then you get resource starved or just a boring lack of variety. Too low and you get chaotic layers and veins of all kinds of stuff everywhere that doesn't "feel" right. Finding a good middle ground has been very difficult.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2013, 08:35:41 pm »

Yeah, They could maybe add some game-tips in game or at least a mini-tutorial.  The learning curve is what turns people away.  Though some player-made tutorials are good enough.  Its just the spam of interruptions or dwarve needs that pisses me off.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2013, 08:58:12 pm »

You can turn off a lot of the spam by going into data/init/announcements.txt and either turning off the zoom/pause for some announcements, or not having them be in the log at all. Seed spam is trickier because it's a job cancellation rather than an event in its own right, but fortress design can help with that.

1. No berries, rat weed, or plump helmets. This will keep seeds out of the dining room. Bloated tubers and muck roots are fine, as they produce no seeds.
2. Link the seed-producing workshops to a stockpile that doesn't take seeds, and keep those workshops as close to the farms as possible.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

blaster339

• Bay Watcher
  • Why did the chicken REALLY cross the road?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2013, 09:40:31 pm »

Yeah, They could maybe add some game-tips in game or at least a mini-tutorial.  The learning curve is what turns people away.  Though some player-made tutorials are good enough.  Its just the spam of interruptions or dwarve needs that pisses me off.
Remember, its still in alpha, and like everybody says "deal with it" lol

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2013, 10:21:35 pm »

Alpha, sure. But a long, long alpha. The earlier the game opens to more people the more coverage and support it will get.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

blaster339

• Bay Watcher
  • Why did the chicken REALLY cross the road?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2013, 10:57:41 pm »

Alpha, sure. But a long, long alpha. The earlier the game opens to more people the more coverage and support it will get.
I just meant to say that its still in alpha, and gameplay features like tutorials aren't there yet
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]