Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I was going through legends and saw a clown's bio. -SPOILER-  (Read 2133 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Escaped in the year blah blah"

I had not began a fort yet, but he still escaped. Anyone got any idea how world-gen demons escape HFS? Cause I never seen a kobold human running around in adamanite armor....

Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: I was going through legends and saw a clown's bio. -SPOILER-
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 10:03:51 pm »

Happens frequently. The game doesn't explain the actual mechanics, but for the sake of continuity it's probably safe to assume that there was a hole in the circus tent somewhere that it crawled out of. That or a group of ambitious dwarves or goblins decided to buy tickets to the circus and accidentally let it loose.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 10:19:13 pm »

Happens frequently. The game doesn't explain the actual mechanics, but for the sake of continuity it's probably safe to assume that there was a hole in the circus tent somewhere that it crawled out of. That or a group of ambitious dwarves or goblins decided to buy tickets to the circus and accidentally let it loose.

Nope.

At the very beginning of worldgen, there are a handful of demons that start out 'escaped' and function identically similarly to other titans/megabests/FBs, except those demons can become civ leaders.  This is a very old mechanic, although it probably now uses some new game mechanics introduced with the vampire identity-hiding system.  There isn't some place where the demons were actually released by a civ.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:22:02 pm by slothen »
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 10:21:24 pm »

I saw the title and thought I was going to see an epic description.
I guess I was wrong.  :-\

SeymoreGlass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 10:37:14 pm »

This is a very old mechanic, although it probably now uses some new game mechanics introduced with the vampire identity-hiding system.

I severly doubt that. To my understanding, these demons don't exist anywhere outside of the Legends viewer unless they're a civ leader.
The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration (waiting on someone to sig that)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 11:36:45 pm »

Nope.

At the very beginning of worldgen, there are a handful of demons that start out 'escaped' and function identically similarly to other titans/megabests/FBs, except those demons can become civ leaders.  This is a very old mechanic, although it probably now uses some new game mechanics introduced with the vampire identity-hiding system.  There isn't some place where the demons were actually released by a civ.

Yep. Furthermore, they have the skills:
Code: [Select]
[NATURAL_SKILL:WRESTLING:14]
[NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:14]
[NATURAL_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE:14]
[NATURAL_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE:14]
[NATURAL_SKILL:MELEE_COMBAT:14]
[NATURAL_SKILL:RANGED_COMBAT:14]
[NATURAL_SKILL:DODGING:14]
[NATURAL_SKILL:SITUATIONAL_AWARENESS:14]
(Grand Master)

When encountered as the leader of a civ, they will often be wearing clothing. Due to their large [BODY_SIZE:0:0:10000000], their clothing is rather thick and acts a lot like deflector shields. They also often wield a kitchen knife of some sort. They are probably the toughest opponent you can face in adventurer mode.
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 11:46:57 pm »

The clown found a copper pick and figured out how to use it.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 08:29:24 am »

Nope.

Eh? I'm not sure about that. I recall reading several forum topics where a demon would escape 'in year 3', or at a date later than initial worldgen. I'll try and find them to verify.

Edit: Hm, nevermind. Apparently I'm imagining things.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 08:41:33 am by Lord Dullard »

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 09:13:42 am »

well, my main point is that it just 'happens' in worldgen, and isn't related at all to the way a player would release demons.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 09:31:34 am »

This is also why you can sometimes get demons as diplomats arriving at your fort. They behave just like normal diplomats as far as I know.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 09:37:12 am »

well, my main point is that it just 'happens' in worldgen, and isn't related at all to the way a player would release demons.

Well, I wasn't referring to player actions. I said for the sake of continuity - i.e., if you want to make up a story for why it happened, it was probably a group of dwarves blah blah. Quoting myself,

The game doesn't explain the actual mechanics