Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Carmageddon: Reincarnation. Released and ready to a head-on collision.  (Read 15652 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Carmageddon plows into Kickstarter - Funded!
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2012, 06:34:08 pm »

It is funny that this, one of the most controversial game of all times, is now 12+

Because exposing a quarter of a female nipple is considered 18+ while plowing into a crowd of pedestrians with a car looking more like a Ork war wagon with double than normal ammount of menacing spikes is kid friendly.
POTEC TE CHILLLRRREEENNNNSSSS
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2012, 06:48:51 pm »

How come I didn't notice this thread?

I grew up with Carmageddon TDR 2000 (not the first game). This was my favorite game for a long time. I upgraded my car to the maximum and bought every car before I finished the game. I think it won't be an overstatement if I say I had this game on my PC for at least five years. I would record all the races and watch them in slow-mo.

There was a mission where you had to steal a bomb and explode it in somewhere in the desert. Boy, I tried that mission for days with my cousin. After like 5-6 years when I tried the game again, I managed to do it at my first try.

And I absolutely LOVED using the afterburner to fly across the map. I landed on a car once and ripped it to shreds.

This game looks more like Carmageddon rather than Carmageddon TDR 2000. Eh, I'll settle for anything as long as it's Carmageddon.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 07:15:02 pm by Leatra »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2012, 04:42:07 am »

It is funny that this, one of the most controversial game of all times, is now 12+

Because exposing a quarter of a female nipple is considered 18+ while plowing into a crowd of pedestrians with a car looking more like a Ork war wagon with double than normal ammount of menacing spikes is kid friendly.

Carmageddon does contain upskirts, however.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2012, 05:07:31 am »

I fell off the very top of a loop-da-loop on one of the levels and landed nose first in to the roof of an enemy, instantly wasting him.

Ha.  :)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2012, 07:30:01 am »

I grew up with Carmageddon TDR 2000 (not the first game). This was my favorite game for a long time. I upgraded my car to the maximum and bought every car before I finished the game. I think it won't be an overstatement if I say I had this game on my PC for at least five years. I would record all the races and watch them in slow-mo.

Wow, i'm amazed. TDR was generally considered as really crap and not enough like the original 2 games :P  (from what i understand, at least)

I played carma2, and i've never played the first one. From what i understand, 2 was better in every way however, so I don't feel compelled to go back to the first one.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 07:31:39 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2012, 09:26:29 am »

Wow, i'm amazed. TDR was generally considered as really crap and not enough like the original 2 games :P  (from what i understand, at least)

I played carma2, and i've never played the first one. From what i understand, 2 was better in every way however, so I don't feel compelled to go back to the first one.

Yeah, TDR is considered as a pile of shit by hardcore Carmageddon fans. I don't know why. Most people complain about the time limit but that was one of the things I liked in the game. You always had to be on the move and it was challenging. Races were very easy though. Just waste a car and you have plenty of time to do anything you want. The only thing I hated about the game was cars not taking damage if you smash them in the side. You had to hit them in the front or the rear.

Also, killing peds doesn't yield much time bonus but that's okay I guess. In the game you have 3 ways to complete at race: Waste all the cars, kill all the peds, complete the race. I attempted to kill all the peds once. Man, that took a long time and it was challenging. I managed to do it though.

I didn't play any other Carmageddon games so if the people who played first both games are saying TDR is crap, they probably know something or maybe it's just the nostalgia effect.

Talking about nostalgia effect, I may give TDR a try again if I manage to find the CD... in one piece.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2012, 09:31:55 am »

Carmageddon had much more engagement.

By the end of carmageddon you're steamrolling enemies, but it is still full and engaging; enemies do use stronger cars with some sense of progression and stronger/faster cars are indeed stronger and faster

In TDR, there is little to no incentive to change car, the eagle is just the best car of the lot. Levels are less engaging and their design is sometimes just frustrating with impassable stunt barriers (incarmageddon you always had an alternative route for heavier vehicle). Enemy progression just doesn't make sense, and enemy are somewhat rubberbanded. It is especially apparent with the dragster.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2012, 09:35:22 am »

Well, different tastes for different people. I remember having my ass handed to me in the level 3. I played the first level for a few times and upgraded my car with the money I got from the first level. There was still a feel of progression for me.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2012, 09:40:01 am »

It is at later stages of tdr where the enemy become just stupid.

The bus enemies gets stuck and you can just kill him with one thousand cuts
The caterpillar just waste himself on tunnels and stuff because its weight is more than the engine can handle
Faster car are found inevitably belly up around corners

So difficulty just goes down as soon as these appears

It is a shame because the damage model is so much better...

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2012, 11:26:26 am »

Races are very easy. You can just repair your car by paying money anyway. Challenging part of the game is the missions. Then again, most missions didn't made much sense.

And 'The Wheel' was probably the stupidest car in the game :D

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2012, 03:16:24 pm »

Btw it is invredible that this little gem had independent suspensions, different terrain surfaces with changes both in grip and roughness, two and four wheel drives, positional damage and physically modelled damage for wheels and suspensions.

Also fully 3d terrain aaaand different cars modelled just not by game parameters but by physical constraints

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2012, 10:07:00 pm »

You realy should try the first one, the graphics are a little lacking sure, but it's fun as hell.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2012, 12:40:56 am »

I am very excited about this. I've owned all 3 of the previous games (and played the console ports a bit). I thoroughly enjoyed saving my runs and making movies out of the more impressive stunts. I can't wait for some clips.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2012, 03:35:19 am »

I figured out the youtube export thing on my i-thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0CFZh5xN8&feature=plcp

Ha ha ha ha ha I fell off the loop on to another car! Ha ha ... listen to the screams of the nearby pedestrians! Ha .... heh ...

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2012, 08:11:42 am »

I figured out the youtube export thing on my i-thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0CFZh5xN8&feature=plcp

Ha ha ha ha ha I fell off the loop on to another car! Ha ha ... listen to the screams of the nearby pedestrians! Ha .... heh ...

Hey, that's awesome man! I accidently did the same thing on the first level of TDR :D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5