Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: Masterwork DF Suggestions (Guild-System Discussion continues here)  (Read 35657 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Ideas for modding / Masterwork DF Suggestions
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2012, 11:59:23 am »

@tierre: these will be no problem, since allies are always allies, and the boiling stones wont be a problem. Or do you get a lot of dwarven traders currently that bring golem transformation boiling stones ? ;)

@ioi:
Bigger ammo stacks in quivers so they don't run out. Then give them extra sight range (can you give them extra firing range too?) and perhaps even the ability to retreat (don't know if that's possible).
All possible, same goes for the Ents/Treant... unlimited ammo-bow would only be possible by transformation. Elf turns into elf with interaction to shoot a material emission. Similar to the turrets. not quite the same. Biggest problem will be that rooms/furniture is impossible, because you can only build this underground or under a roof. So contructions are a must, otherwise they tantrum too much. Or maybe I could give them "no_emotion" and you dont make rooms at all ^^ dirty elves just sleep on the dirt.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2012, 12:58:02 pm »

Yeah in that case I think just giving them very large quiver capacity would work just fine. The primary issue is just to stop them from running in and trying to kill something by beating it with a bow.

Although.. I like the transformation idea as some sort of limited martial-stance for special elves. I.e. special caste elves can interact with a "scout's tower" building and temporarily turn into deadly archers that are stuck in place but can shoot across half the map. Ok, maybe this isn't such a great idea, balance wise, but it would be cool if it's possible lol.

For rooms etc, I'm a bit conflicted. If you put them in, it might be a bit too easy to make fortifications and that would change the whole strategy of the race.

If the issue is happiness, couldn't you give them other ways to improve happiness? I don't know what's moddable (if anything) in this area, but you could say make something like your musical stage building purely focused on giving happy thoughts (very elf-appropriate heh), make statues and statue-similar things with high value, etc. In general I think the idea of creating a very high value garden with workshops spread around it as a way to keep elves happy sounds good to me. After all, with no mining or constructing, the game will lack alot of the building a fortress appeal of DF. Making a great garden would be a nice alternative.

In general I like the idea of maintaining the elves' happiness to be a major difficulty of playing them. So long as it's doable...

As for how to deal with very well armored dwarves - that's just a matter of having the right material for the arrows, isn't it? I'd imagine slademantine arrows will pierce slademantine armor. And there's no reason why some super-special wood that's been heavily magically enchanted in a druid circle can't be that sharp. I would just make it only usable for arrows - if you let them make everything from it then they'd just as easily go melee.

EDIT: Had a further idea. Elves should get a "bladedancer" caste, that gets massive bonuses to dodging and shield learning rates (but not other fighting skills). Also give them "parrying swords" that effectively act like shields with high block chance. With high enough blocking/dodging skills, this caste should be able to survive on the front lines even in fairly weak armor. The point of these elves would be to have an easy way to manage your pets, i.e. asssigning all of them to a bladedancer. Other options for a similar role would be a beastmaster or druid with magical defenses and pet healing abilities.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 01:47:19 pm by ioi101 »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 26, 2012, 01:05:27 pm »

Read it, processing it, will post tomorrow something long about it. I cant use captured enemies or corpses in reactions, but most of the things, including souls, would be possible.
I believe it would be possible to use captured enemies in reactions, though it would be a bit indirect.

Consider the current workaround for spawning a new creature:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We can adapt it as such:

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2012, 02:27:21 pm »

I had a race designed in my hand, then stumbled over something thats hardcoded, whole thing useless.... Think i will stick to designing the drows, i quite enjoy that. You guys can have fun with the pointy ears ;)

Only one question: Do you get a wagon when you play as elves?

Next part will come shortly, im not done :D

Doren

• Bay Watcher
  • On closer inspection, that dog is a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2012, 03:31:47 pm »

Here goes my simple suggestion: dwarven concrete. It is not that high-tech and somewhat acceptable for the DF medieval world.
The purpose of making concrete is producing lots of construction blocks from just lime, clay and sand, so if i have only 11 limestone boulders but also there are clay and sand supply in my fortress then i could make 80 blocks instead of 44.
And of course, concrete is the best material for your aboveground Colosseum or Jailhouse.

There are my concretemaking raws:
The concrete mixer (nothing special, just a common bowl where cement and aggregate are supposed to mix)

Some changes to the inorganic_stone_soil to make sand usable as aggregate

Cement and concrete materials (you could add them into any inorganic_ file)

The reactions. The cement making and concrete mixing. Concrete mixing has two variations: with sand and without one. The first one uses up less boulders, and the second one produces more blocks.

The declaration of reactions in the entity_default

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2012, 06:48:20 pm »

Really interesting thoughts on the new races, I'll definitely follow, but haven't thought of too much to input yet.

I like the idea of Concrete and/or batch firing of bricks from Clay, as opposed to the current Brick Furnace.  Maybe you have to add small amounts of some colored product (e.g. cobalt for blue?) to get the brilliant colors. 

I would probably have tried something like Humans = 25% or 50% learn rate for mining but do understand picks.  In a way I do like the idea of "quarry" and "mine" buildings but don't see how to implement it as really a fun mechanic.

Elves I might have done = 0 or 1% learn rate for mining, no digging implements native to their civ, but not totally forbidden from aquiring them.  Maybe no rock blocks, but let them build from organically farmed trees and wicker.  But.. wow.. you are thinking no digging at all and no constructions?!  If nothing else this project will result in lots of dead elves, so it's got that going for it! :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2012, 07:21:13 pm »

Well, I might have to give them wood-blocks, just so they can build a roof to build a bed, chair and table under. Stupid mechanics. -.- But otherwise I can buff them with other defenses, yes.

Human buildings. Design study.

Spoiler: Drow Race. Game study. (click to show/hide)

Just a little brainstorming I did on the road, no modding done so far.

EDIT: The humans should get a "Court Magican" in addition to the Medicus. For Alchemy, spawning Magma and such :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Urist McAddict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 26, 2012, 07:39:15 pm »

I have an idea for the Alchemy thing... Historically, the alchemists tried to turn other metal into gold and tap into mistery, since dorfs are dorfs, they aren't connected to this kind of things... They want to be better fighters, but they are honourable people so it's more likely that the Alchemy would be more guided into making better material or equipment for their warriors.

They would probably study alchemy to make impossible materials for weaponry and new kind of weapons that mix magic and steel. In D'n'D we had something called mercurial weapons, they landed heavier criticals by using shifting weights of liquids inside the weapons. Gloves that would allow use of bigger weapons (i know, can't be done), learning weak spots from enemies (silver for undeads and such) making artificial legs so dwarves would be able to walk again (maybe crutches that would use lower legs instead of arms, unless hardcoded). Turning metal into gold or steel would be a waste of time, since they are master miners, they wouldn't study in ways to get them.

Chemistry... Well, i dunno how that would work for dorfs, other than refining of special ore and such, i don't see how they'd take their time on it. Don't forget that chemistry was an evolution on alchemy, where they left the magical aspect of it for a more cientific approach to it. That said, i don't think they'd have chemistry knowledge other than the ones already used (gunpowder and metallurgy).

Well, that was my penny, hope you like it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2012, 07:57:32 pm »

Oh, yes, one question: How exactly should I mod all this ? ^^

Urist McAddict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2012, 08:24:11 am »

Well, which part troubles you? It was only a general idea, since e.g. mercurial weaponry could be just a weapon with improved stats that would use the base weapon + quicksilver + some kind of tool to be made making it hit harder (making it take a 1+ lvl material on, steel mercurial sword bypassing welded mithril armor and such).

Weak spots would be more like giving material vulnerability to some beasts (vampire slayer, watch the Grimm show to get some ideas =P) and being able to get books made in the scriptorium (could make use of that animal dissecting skill) just like the old way creature research worked (put beast in, out goes the book).

Crutches, well, i don't have a clue on how that would work, i have completely no idea on modding, i'm a lawyer, not a programmer =P
Last time i TRIED to make an HTML page, it looked like a feast of maggots ^^

Special ores and metals could be used for the material weakness thing, having to use something with the ore to get the proper material (like ppl still uses mercury to separate gold from the dirt).

Understood or did i just made myself look even more stupid?

BTW, thx for MWDF, can't do anything real important because i have to smash every ambusher out there...  ;D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2012, 09:20:06 am »

Oh... sorry. I just meant this as a general "Wtf am I doing, collecting 10 pages of ideas" ^^

Also, Drow Buildings Study

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2012, 09:29:09 am »

Oh... sorry. I just meant this as a general "Wtf am I doing, collecting 10 pages of ideas" ^^

Just shows how awesome the community is, in other forums, you would have had 5 arguments about different matters by this point ;)

You wnat me to write more drow stuff? I think i have a new favourite Race :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2012, 09:57:34 am »

Well, if you want ^^ But only things that can be modded. You have seen my rough draft, and seen the buildings. Improve on that if you can/want. If you can pull of an actually ROUND summoning circle, that would be awesome ^^

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2012, 11:41:14 am »

I actually have one idea, not really drow specific, only a new creature.... A evil one. One that paths to souls and tries to steal them ;) quite strong, but nothing that kills everything on sight

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2012, 12:02:46 pm »

hehe, those drow buildings are looking very good.

For the elves (I think we've established at this point that I'm a dirty, pointy-eared, treehugger):

This is up to you obviously, but I'd rather go with no constructions. Make it a challenge race that plays very differently. If it turns out to be impossible, well it won't be hard to put them back in.

On to more specific things:

I like the idea of recycling goblinite. And why not include enemy body parts, after all elves shouldn't be butchering them - call it a "laying to rest" reaction. Perhaps two ways to make it work:

1) Take goblinite -> produce idols of Nature's favor (perhaps only a low chance to make them more valuable/less hauling) -> idols used in ceremonies to upgrade ents/elves/weapons/armor

2) Take goblinite -> random chance of producing various goodies

I like 1) alot better, but 2) is probably easier to implement. Would be nice to have material quality come into this a bit, i.e. say bronze/copper weapons armor have low chance to give you an idol, iron/steel higher, steel+ stuff even higher. Same for body parts/corpses. If possible, make it so only hostile corpses work for this... maybe only corpses with the sentient tag (is there such a thing?). Don't want the elves to be running around killing deer for their rituals lol.

For the decorations - maybe put in options to make very valuable (but otherwise crappy) wood that can then be used in decorative buildings that require alot of wood. Should make the elves happy even without beds heh.

I still like my idea of bladedancer elves and parrying daggers/swords instead of shields. But this is mostly an aesthetic difference heh. Along these lines, maybe make the warriors hall particularly good at training defensive skills - blocking and dodging, but bad at training melee skills.

For the archery yard - would be nice to have this building consume special "training arrow bundle" that are actually a toy created in the fletchery. That way you don't ever have to muck around with combat and non-combat arrows in your quiver.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14