Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: Masterwork DF Suggestions (Guild-System Discussion continues here)  (Read 35652 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Ideas for modding / Masterwork DF Suggestions
« Reply #150 on: July 28, 2012, 04:35:44 pm »

human reactions... alpha, 1/4 done ?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Run a test... does not crash, no errorlog, graphics work, renamed professions work... 90% does not work or is unfinished ^^
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 06:04:10 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LightlySpartan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 28, 2012, 07:11:23 pm »

Just throwing the idea out there, maybe various wandering groups akin to caravans could show up from time to time offering random services or making demands? Kind of like in King of Dragon Pass haha.

Tigrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 29, 2012, 06:58:09 pm »

Monasterial Ideas:

Monastic fighting order to match the Knightly Order, have the monks focus on blunt weaponry and dodging while the knights focus on swords and armor.

Have the monastary carve or etch bones to make them higher value.

Have the monastery brew holy wine.

Vow of Silence:  second monk caste with no social skills and no_speak, but stronger and faster learning of other skills to compensate.

Saint:  third monk caste is hard to get, but has high attributes and high social and military skills.   When he dies he leaves an itemcorpse of Saintly Remains that the monastery has an automatic reaction to Inter Saintly Remains which produces Saint Bones and a Prayer Book of Venerated Saints.  The bones are very high value and might have reactions to make weapons and armor out of them.   The Prayer Book has a reaction to Remember the Fallen which gives a long duration buff to monks or knights.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #153 on: July 29, 2012, 07:06:02 pm »

@tigrath: Awesome. Love the monk/monastery ideas.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Tigrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 29, 2012, 09:08:50 pm »

Not sure if this is possible, but as an alternative to using a saint caste, have an automatic reaction (chanting or meditation or sining choir hymns) with 1%  chance of making a Saintly Vestiture.  This SV + a human corpse has a reaction to Inter Saintly Remains and then so on like the other idea.

On the other hand there's the style of monks in AD&D that are masters of unarmed combat and gain several spell-like abilities, but are badly encumbered by armor.  Stunning attacks, high dodge, armor and shield at 0 with no skill gain, fast regenerative healing, maybe a healing interaction, stuff like that.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 04:07:04 am by Tigrath »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #155 on: July 29, 2012, 09:22:01 pm »

Yes, that kind of monk I currently do have... but the others make so much more sense. I was thinking monk-class from RPG, not medieval monks... ^^

Tigrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2012, 07:00:29 am »

It's been a long time since I played Darklands, but if I remember right, monasteries were also libraries trying to preserve and copy books written in latin.

I'd like to also suggest the University.  This building has practice reactions for doctors and is the place where you research technology improvements.  The Formula for Smokeless Powder would be used in reactions to make better ammo than your guns use by default, and can be used to research Fixed Cartriges which leads to Breach-Loading Firearms (a higher tier of guns) which then leads to the Ammo Press which has reactions to make ammo more efficiently and in larger quantities than the old way.   Ring Bayonette would be used in a reaction that changes a gun to a different gun that has a bayonette attack for when you run out of ammo.

Boiling Oil?  Grenades?
I'm not sure if grenades are possible, maybe transform into a Grenadier caste with an interaction that works that way.   Maybe a firebomb thrower could work that way too.  Call him the Arsonist.

Mining Suggestions:

Mine building is expensive to make, each reaction uses consumable tools made for mining (general mining supplies) and wood (to support the mineshaft), and uses a % chance for the evaporating stone trick to make mining dangerous.

Mining works by Surveys (tools or toys).  If you don't have any surveys, then you can only do Exploratory Mining.  This consumes a lot of tools and wood and has a high chance of wounding or killing the miner through syndromes.  It produces several boulders of random stone and ores and has a chance of producing various types of Surveys.  Common or low value metals have a high chance of being surveyed,  more valuble and usefull stuff have lower chances.   A Raw Copper Survey would be about 40%, Iron Ore Survey at about 20%, Native Gold Survey at 5% and so on.  1% would be for rare stuff like burried vaults, lost tombs, forgotten ruins, and burried pirate treasure (basically this takes the place of the dwarves' fossils).

When you have say an Iron Ore Survey, there is an automatic reaction at the mine that uses that survey and some consumables to produce 4-6 iron ore boulders with a 95% chance of giving you another Iron Ore Survey and maybe a 5% chance of getting another survey for something else.

The rare 1% stuff will give you one or more items that must be identified at the monastery.  This can be Antique Furniture (high value metal, wood, or stone), coins or toys of rare metal, relics of lost saints.  Or maybe a small chance of it being something unholy that unleashes a terrible plague, or transforms the monk into something demonic.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 12:52:21 pm by Tigrath »

Dark Archon

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mathematician
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2012, 02:19:52 pm »

Remake training system: delete Warfare Library and make training dummies, obstacle courses, parrying rooms and so on. It's impossible to create a experienced warrior by bookworming process.
Maybe you are dreaming right now.

"Meh, what's scientific progress without a few dead planets?"

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 07, 2012, 01:56:45 pm »

Hi Meph, can I suggest that you reconsider the idea to give all the creature_standard monsters and creature_magical_ff "[BIOME:ANY_LAND]" and take away the "[GOOD] / [EVIL] / [SAVAGE]" tags?  For one thing, a lot of these guys are really pretty strong for just being ubiquitous wildlife.  Even more importantly, the biomes all sort of feel the same now, in the past seeing Centaurs or Unicorns or whatever would have been something unique.

in any case, the creature Descriptions in general don't match any more, so in case you don't agree with me on the design principle you might want to consider changing these

[DESCRIPTION:A strange being with the body of a horse and the head and torso of a human.   It is found roaming the savage woods and plains.]
   [DESCRIPTION:A humanoid composed of sweat.  It is most often found in the evil rainforest.]
   [DESCRIPTION:A strange flowing creature the shape of a human.  It is found in evil areas and can throw out clouds of noxious ink.]
   [DESCRIPTION:A strange waxy creature the shape of a human.  It is found in mirthful areas and can throw out sticky waxy strands to defend itself.]
   [PREFSTRING:white, spiral horns ... selfless yet solitary nature ... mysterious beauty ... surprising brutality... association with goodly lands]

I understand in the new version I'd be able to just turn them off entirely, just my 2c but i would find it a better feature and leave them in if they were really restricted to unique biomes.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #159 on: August 07, 2012, 04:44:34 pm »

Yes, that is planned. :)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 08, 2012, 04:31:11 pm »

As of now, Dwarven and Drow ethics are very similar (identical?)  What do you think about making some difference between them so they might occasionally war with each other.  Or better, the elves.  I think this would be an interesting dynamic and after all, you have diplomats to mend relationships once you pacify them.

Some examples of ones where there might be some space between the two civs could be:
KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER, TORTURE_AS_EXAMPLE, TORTURE_FOR_INFORMATION, SLAVERY

dwarven ethics

drow ethics

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #161 on: August 08, 2012, 05:18:02 pm »

Well, I figured that if people want to fight drow/elves/humans, they can just activate the evil versions... but you probably have a point, as usual ;)

BeserkNINJA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 09, 2012, 03:45:47 pm »

i had a lot of ideas for the dwarven magic but i went with what i thought would be the easiest to mod

idea for the elves:

thanks for the great mod.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #163 on: August 09, 2012, 04:38:11 pm »

Sorry, but I cant make reagents for spells, or reactions that can only be done by a certain caste.

BeserkNINJA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 09, 2012, 05:02:53 pm »

that sucks what about the idea for the elves is that doable?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14