Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Applying liquid poison/extracts to weapons/ammo - a poss. solution?  (Read 4133 times)

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile

I know that nobody has successfully created a reaction that applies liquid poisons to ammunition or weapons before.  I have a theoretical solution, but I'd like some input before I try implementing it since I'm not very familiar with how interactions work.

We know that liquids can get applied to items if the items are on the same tile as a barrel containing the liquid, and the barrel is then removed. I first tried creating a custom reaction that called for bolts as a preserved reagent and a liquid as a regular reagent, and that produced liquid (not in a barrel) as a product. This was not successful; the liquid was produced correctly in the workshop, but when the bolts were removed they were not covered with liquid and the liquid got retained until the workshop was deconstructed.

So here's my thinking:

Add a reaction that uses the same reagents, but that instead produces an instant-boiling liquid that conveys an inhaled syndrome.

The syndrome has a very brief period in which it conveys a CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION.

The interaction forces an immediate material emission of the same type as the liquid used in the reaction.

The dwarf will immediately emit the liquid on the tile that they're standing on, which should coat any items in the workshop and on the tile (and incidentally also coat the dwarf).

This type of syndrome could also be used on food and beverages to coat dwarves with a substance when they eat or drink something, or be added to a creature attack to cause a foe to become coated in something nasty as a result of getting bitten.

Am I overlooking something here?

Edit: another thought I had was to exploit tags on venom-containing vermin by giving them an organ that is composed of the desired substance and has [TISSUE_MAT_STATE:GAS], then create a special bolt-requiring reaction for them that includes that organ as a product, which would (in theory) immediately condense into venom in an inversion of what happens with cave floaters when they are butchered.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 06:57:56 pm by Niyazov »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

The first idea might work, if you can get the dwarf to spew out the syndromey stuff fast enough and if the bolts are treated as being in that space and not just in the workshop in general. Why don't you try it?

I'm not sure how that venomous vermin idea would work.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What about having the reaction produce a bolt of a different material, called "poisoned", which, upon piercing the target, applies the syndrome?
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

medikohl

• Bay Watcher
  • Goblins are a good building material
    • View Profile

thinking of attempting rabies first.
I can imagine a bunch of  monks making a pilgrimage to a holy mountain, only to discover that it isn't there anymore.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there any way to force a creature to perform an interaction? Syndromes can add CAN_DO_INTERACTION but I don't know of a way to oblige them to do the action.

Can I use CE_ADD_TAG to add a sort of temporary organ that is[TISSUE_LAYER_OVER] skin, has [TISSUE_LEAKS], and leaks giant cave spider venom, similar to how a punctured Iron Man leaks iron man gas?  Or am I limited to the tags defined in IT_REQUIRES? It would be a little kludgey but it would definitely create a pool of venom on the floor where the dwarf is standing.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:46:42 pm by Niyazov »

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there any way to force a creature to perform an interaction? Syndromes can add CAN_DO_INTERACTION but I don't know of a way to oblige them to do the action.

Can I use CE_ADD_TAG to add a sort of temporary organ that is[TISSUE_LAYER_OVER] skin, has [TISSUE_LEAKS], and leaks giant cave spider venom, similar to how a punctured Iron Man leaks iron man gas?  Or am I limited to the tags defined in IT_REQUIRES? It would be a little kludgey but it would definitely create a pool of venom on the floor where the dwarf is standing.

I think you might be at the front of dwarven science here - just go have a try!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're limited to tags in IT_REQUIRES. Sorry.
Anyways, liquid tissue layers stay on until an outside force breaks them off. Say, a goblin attacking.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyways, liquid tissue layers stay on until an outside force breaks them off. Say, a goblin attacking.

Right, what I'm describing is the TISSUE_LEAKS tag on a solid tissue to make it leak a different, defined fluid. Another option would be a gaseous tissue layer composed of the desired extract that is generated at the dwarf's body temperature, forcing it to instantly undergo a state change to liquid. Does that change anything?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:04:32 pm by Niyazov »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile

Why not make a one tile pit with a door next to it, dump liquid contents into pit that has a weapon stockpile in it with your wanted weapon meticulously placed there, liquid pours on to it, it gets coated, wa-la?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right, what I'm describing is the TISSUE_LEAKS tag on a solid tissue to make it leak a different, defined fluid. Another option would be a gaseous tissue layer composed of the desired extract that is generated at the dwarf's body temperature, forcing it to instantly undergo a state change to liquid. Does that change anything?
I'm not really sure. Really, I don't know that much about modding.
Sig

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Applying liquid poison/extracts to weapons/ammo - a poss. solution?
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 11:28:41 pm »

If there's no USAGE_HINT, they'll just do it randomly, as soon as it's available so far as I can tell.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 07:53:09 am »

If there's no USAGE_HINT, they'll just do it randomly, as soon as it's available so far as I can tell.

Perfect; that's exactly what I'm looking for. To the raws!

Why not make a one tile pit with a door next to it, dump liquid contents into pit that has a weapon stockpile in it with your wanted weapon meticulously placed there, liquid pours on to it, it gets coated, wa-la?

It's not that simple. You can't order liquid to be dumped out of a barrel, as far as I can tell. This method would also interfere with regular dumping, which I am trying to avoid. The current MO requires ordering the barrels hauled to the Trade Depot, which you can only do when merchants are on the map.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 07:55:42 am by Niyazov »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 05:41:32 pm »

Bear in mind that "Use randomly" means that maybe they will do it, but maybe they won't, and maybe they'll do it to some random dwarf wandering by.
Sig

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 01:17:17 pm »

I know that dwarves will do interactions instantly if they themselves are the valid target, they dont need a usage hint. I will try the same as you are doing here, for my chemistry industry, to apply acids and poisons.

Bear in mind that the poisons you create should be harmless to dwarves. I personally plan to "research" special poisons against all the differen invaders I do have in the game, as well as some generic ones, like pain, necrosis and sleep. And a magic one, for transforming the enemy that has been hit into a harmless creature. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 07:45:27 am »

Bear in mind that the poisons you create should be harmless to dwarves.

As long as you use inject-only poisons it shouldn't be a big deal if they get them all over themselves.
Pages: [1] 2