Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Game with Sieges?  (Read 6586 times)

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Game with Sieges?
« on: May 07, 2012, 11:49:25 pm »

So, playing Mount and Blade again has made me long for a game where I can actually enjoy taking (or defending) a castle. Stronghold 3 has terrible reviews though, so I'm sorta at a loss. Worst comes to worst I could borrow a friend's copy of Stronghold 2, but remember that game being a little clunky too. If I remember right, it didn't really bother with unit collision.

So what're some good games with siege gameplay, where I can watch catapults break down walls and batter through thick iron gates as marauding hordes meet disciplined steel?
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
Re: Game with Sieges?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 11:51:17 pm »

The Total War games are pretty good for this, although I can only personally vouch for the Medieval 2 installment.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 11:55:40 pm »

The Total War games are pretty good for this, although I can only personally vouch for the Medieval 2 installment.

I played Empires and didn't really like it- my men were way, way too picky about trying to stay in neat little formations so I ended up losing a lot of control and precision to their brick-shaped obsession. A lot of my friends suggested Medieval 2 though, so I guess I'll try it.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 12:00:23 am »

Empire is NOTHING like Medieval 2...totally different eras (line battles vs open blade/bow/horse/cannon/musket/chaos medieval battles =P)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 12:00:58 am »

I recommend stronghold: Crusader.
I strongly preferred it to the other games in the series I played.

Basically, there are 50 scenarios, each composed of you (and your enemies) building castles/fortifications and sending troops to sack each others castles, completely ignoring things like plot, or having to take 10 missions to get to a point where you can build stone walls.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 12:05:42 am »

Crusader is tons of fun, but don't expect to get anything resembling a realistic combat simulation out of it.  The AI can be abused, and it's too easy to just steamroll them most of the time.  On some of the scenario maps they can be ridiculously tough because of the handicap they're given though.

Crusader is fun for its castle simulation aspect too.  Managing food, weapon production, happiness and financial parts of the castle add a lot to it in my opinion.  Again, all pretty simplistic, but it's at least easy enough to grasp.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 12:27:01 am »

Dwarf Fortress!

Joking aside, consider Lords of the Realm 2. It's an old game, but besieging castles does play a big role in it. You'll find yourself on either side of a siege several times in a game. Complete with battering rams, catapults, and cauldrons of boiling oil.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 01:01:40 am »

If you can't find another game you could try different mods for Warband. I know it's the same thing but... hey, mods can change things around a bit.
I would suggest multiplayer siege but siege in MP has some pretty major flaws that I wish they would remedy... I don't know of any mos that have fixed it either.

I'm trying to think of a game, any genre, that does this as well... but ehhh... nope. There's War of the Roses, but that's still in early development. There's Crush the Castle but that's not likely the kind of siege you are looking for.

Uhhh, yeah, aside from the games already mentioned I can't say I've ever seen anyone try to pull this off. The only stronghold I've played was the original, but I've heard Crusader is the best one. (I've played Stronghold 2 but... pfffttfpfpfff)

There are also various tower defense games that could kinda count as sieges... ???

Actually, a game did just come to mind. Ace of Spades is a voxel based shooter wherein you have the ability to construct blocks, much like in Minecraft, so you can create bunkers and bridges and foxholes and all that good stuff to protect your flag from being captured by the enemy. I have not actually played it recently so I'm not sure what kind of changes have been made. [EDIT: While there are no catapults, grenades can destroy blocks, and even sustained fire can destroy blocks. I imagine some kind of mortars may be implemented in the future sometimes as well, which would be cool especially if it was something the player had to use manually instead of calling in god-mortars.]

In a similar vein there was Combat Construction for Tribes 2. You would start out in 'purebuild' mode where you could fly around constructing bunkers, deploying turrets, creating hangars and bases, all using beams and 'pads' (which were special beams that filled spaces in between beams, creating floors and walls). Afterwards, purebuild was disabled, and the match started. You would not have jetpacks but would instead use the constructions to move around and fight the enemy. Weapons were primarily projectile and bullet based and dealt a lot of damage, especially grenades which fired shrapnel. Vehicles handled pretty neat as well, helicopters could not fly forwards but moved forwards when the nose was tilted down, for example, and jets could not strafe left and right, but had to roll and then pitch upwards to turn. It was really satisfying and I wish something like there were actually made today instead of all this voxel-based nonsense.

A New Zero is heading for the voxel based construction, but it will also feature stress-based destruction as well. So buildings can collapse if you take out the support structures, for instance. Development is relatively slow and the current playable version seems nothing like what the newest videos have demonstrated.

Source Forts mod for Half-Life 2 involves placing blocks and wall-type things in order to prevent your enemy from reaching your flage. The construction is a lot more fiddly, but I haven't played it in years so I don't know if anyone still plays or if it's been improved or what.

[EDIT: Might as well throw in King Arthur's Gold as well, though I've not played it myself.]
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 01:24:30 am by OzyTheSage »

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 03:57:52 am »

Stronghold and Stronghold: Crusader.
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 04:31:22 am »

How oldschool are you willing to get?  If you're comfy with DOSBOX and Abandonware, "Mindcraft" made some of the best games of the genre back when half of you were in diapers (1990-1993.)

"Siege" was using fantasy units to defend or attack castles.

"Walls of Rome" was the sequel, and set in Rome obviously.  Better production values, but I missed the variety of fantasy.

"Star Legions" is one seemingly forgotten game that I wished somebody would remake.  It's a spinoff to their "Rules of Engagement" space-sim, where you play a Klingon-esque green-skinned alien invasion fleet.  Gameplay is atad thin once you really figure out mechanics, but aesthetics really sell the immersion.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 04:51:08 am »

Stronghold and Stronghold: Crusader.

I could 'free play' in Crusader for hours. That game [and the first, to a lesser extent] were so good for what they were. Maybe it was just the novelty of the idea and the charm in the game, still one of my favorite RTS games, especially their community.. That forum has not changed one bit in almost 12 years, hah.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 05:29:49 am »

Total War, yes those DEFINITELY have sieges.  I have played a lot of Rome: Total War, there are sieges, but the sieges are cooler in Medieval 2, which I have personal experience in. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 05:42:09 am »

"Star Legions" is one seemingly forgotten game that I wished somebody would remake.  It's a spinoff to their "Rules of Engagement" space-sim, where you play a Klingon-esque green-skinned alien invasion fleet.  Gameplay is atad thin once you really figure out mechanics, but aesthetics really sell the immersion.
I think you mean spin-off of the Star Fleet series. In the second game of that series, there's this planetary invasion part, and Star Legions is like a more polished version of that part.

Though yeah, someone definately oughta remake this or better yet make something at least as complex.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 06:05:24 am »

Total War series (at least Rome, Medieval 2 and Shogun 2) have sieges and they play a fairly important part in the games. Medieval 2 is engine/mechanics wise marginally better than Rome when it comes to sieges simply because of its updated engine. Shogun 2 changed the siege formula quite a bit, not necessarily for the better or worse, but it plays differently.

In R/M2 you have to either ram the gate, capture the walls using ladders and/or siege towers, or just crumble the walls either by digging below them or shooting them with catapults/cannons in order to gain entry into the castle. In S2 you can simply order your men to climb the walls without any extra siege engines. In short, they streamlined/simplified the siege warfare aspect of the game in S2, which depending on who you ask was anything between brilliant and dumbing down. S2 of course has other siege weapons that you can (and should) use at the very least once you start encountering high level citadels.

This might be ways off if you haven't even gotten properly started on Total War games. If you ever feel the need for something a little different (while still being Total War) you should know that Total War titles, especially Rome and Medieval 2, though other titles as well, have quite large and skilled modding communities that have churned out a few finished mods for different eras and settings (e.g. middle east, LotR)

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 07:46:43 am »

Crusader is tons of fun, but don't expect to get anything resembling a realistic combat simulation out of it.  The AI can be abused, and it's too easy to just steamroll them most of the time.  On some of the scenario maps they can be ridiculously tough because of the handicap they're given though.
Then try Sronghold Crusader: Extreme, the expansion pack. The Extreme is for the extreme difficulty.
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.
Pages: [1] 2