Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Game with Sieges?  (Read 6584 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game with Sieges?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 08:04:35 am »

Rise and Fall:Civilizations at War has some neat siege potential including things like:

Indestructible walls (unless you use siege equipement)
Buildable ladders.
Units with ladders (just like in Stronghold)
Towers that spawn archers on top of them (they can be killed off but respawn with time)
The walls are massive and units fight while on walls (a wall segment can serve as a ghetto tower when staffed with achers)
4 nations with different units. Basically only the ships and 3 basic units are the "same". Persians for example have weak units but can promote one of their formations to "elite" status turning them into walking meat grinders while greeks can train instructors that train your units when idle (units gain XP from combat).

Besides it has incredibly well done naval combat and a TPP mode that lets you control your hero in a hack'n'slashy manner.
And best of all it's FREE.
http://steamunpowered.eu/free-games-sponsored-by-the-us-air-force
Sponsored by the US Air Force... go figure.
It has adds but it's completely free otherwise.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:10:23 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 09:46:01 am »

How oldschool are you willing to get?

I'd prefer something new and shiny.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 10:02:49 am »

Well, it's new and shiny, but retro, and I don't think people have suggested King Arthur's Gold. There's a read around here somewhere. Online multiplayer, there's a free version, and you can be either a builder, archer or knight. They do what you expect them to do. The builders will build towers and pit traps and all sorts of defence systems, and also CATAPULTS. Which tear down said defences, occasionally causing massive collapse, and instant death for all those caught underneath. It's pretty neat, though perhaps not exactly what you are looking for :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:01:26 pm by Anvilfolk »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 01:47:57 pm »

Most if not all RTS come with some kind of siege mechanics during gameplay, either in skirmishes or campaigns when you are assaulting the enemy base, or when your own bases are under siege, usually there are walls, defenses, sieging units etc... involved.

When i saw the word Siege in the title , my first thought was about an old board wargame we used to play, named Siege, it was a standalone expansion of Cry Havoc and had great siege mechanics for a board wargame.

While Cry Havoc got a very good computer remake , i have read that Siege (and all the games using the Cry Havoc system) can be played through VASSAL or Cyberboard. So if you're interested in sieging and wargaming, it may be worth a try to get some Siege games running with your friends :
http://www.cryhavocfan.org/indexeng.htm

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 03:59:02 pm »

Downloading Rise and Fall:Civilizations at War (google it, you'll find a working mirror pretty quickly), will let ya all know how it is...

"Did you try dwarf fortress" is the joke that awaits in this thread...

--- kinda sucks tbh...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 04:18:07 pm by ThtblovesDF »

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 04:32:13 pm »

My little brother has been playing the demo of a small game called castle crashers on playstation network.  I don't know if that qualifies in comparison to #@$#Mount & Blade#@$# but it has castles...  :P

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 05:00:32 pm »

There was a German game called Castle Strike, which was sort of like a 3d version of Stronghold Crusader.

Game wasn't that good though. Likewise, the sequels to Stronghold Crusader have been terribad. :(

I strongly recommend Supreme Commander if you want some siege warfare. Play it turtle style. Remember, you don't have enough shields until you can sleep through ICBM barrages! You can then attack using long range artillery, air strikes, and nukes from within your fortress of energy shields and steel.

Its like siege warfare of the future.

Anyone who says turtling doesn't work in SupCom just doesn't turtle hard enough.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 05:02:47 pm by Hyndis »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 05:11:29 pm »

TW: Medieval 2 was pretty great for this. King Arthur's Gold also does this not-badly, though it is entirely multiplayer, with builder/diggers, knights, and archers. Typically, games will start with a setup period where builders get a minute or so to make spike pits, walls, keeps, team-sensitive bridges and gateways, and so on. There are catapults as well, and progressive block destruction, as well as building physics (take out the base of a structure, and the whole thing will fall).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2012, 05:21:38 pm »

Stronghold 2 is pretty good.
Pages: 1 [2]