Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Cartel of the Sky — Convoy & Lab;  (Read 14382 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Cartel of the Sky — First Mission, confirm rosters
« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2012, 10:45:29 pm »

((It doesn't understand what a fire detection system is. There really aren't such things in this world.))

((Seriously?? Mechs they have, but they can't figure out pieces of metal and glass?))
((O_o I thought fire detectors worked on the principle of CO2 detection, and are rather advanced >.>
What's this 'metal and glass' you talk of?; ))

((It doesn't understand what a fire detection system is. There really aren't such things in this world.))
((What is the brand of the OS? "Doors"?))

((GeaRS, actually. :3))
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 08:45:27 pm by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2012, 10:47:55 pm »

((GeaRS, actually. :3))
((Narte'll bring Unix-based operational systems to the Cartel.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 12, 2012, 11:03:53 pm »

((Seriously?? Mechs they have, but they can't figure out pieces of metal and glass?))
((O_o I thought fire detectors worked on the principle of CO2 detection, and are rather advanced >.>
What's this 'metal and glass' you talk of?;))

((Depends on your era, modern times uses the advanced version, electricity and isotopes, but fire detectors (not smoke detectors) have been around for a really long time.

The simplest variation is made entirely of metal and wax. A spring with a piece of metal on the end is embedded in a wax block, as long as the wax stays solid, the spring can't move. If, however, the wax is heated, then the spring will punch through. This can then trigger a valve to open, an alarm to ring, or variety of other simple mechanical alarm trips. This particular version is older than dirt owing to the simplicity of the mechanism.

Another, much more precise variation (the one I would have expected the facility to be equipped with) involves glass of differing heat sensitivity. (A specialty alloy can also be used.) The mechanism consists of a seal over a pressurized pipe, with the majority of the seal being made by a glass (or alloy) bulb.  When heated to a certain predefined temperature, the bulb will crack and explode, (modern variations use fluid filled glass, faster detonations with less risk of failure) thus opening the seal. A secondary alarm system can be rigged into the pipe using a float, arranged so that if the water level drops rapidly an alarm spring will be tripped.

Of course, this is all real world stuff. If these things do not exist in your world, then I will of course abide.))
))
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #123 on: May 12, 2012, 11:14:10 pm »

((I see. Thanks for teaching me :3 I edited the post. 'At least 0' means they don't know.

Now that I think of it, I think the terminal could be more of a Morse-code transmitting thing, with a human on the other side retrieving information and typing it to you.))

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 12, 2012, 11:26:43 pm »

((I see. Thanks for teaching me :3 I edited the post. 'At least 0' means they don't know.

Now that I think of it, I think the terminal could be more of a Morse-code transmitting thing, with a human on the other side retrieving information and typing it to you.))

((You learn something new everyday. I also Really like the morse code relay concept.))

Ruark frowned. He'd hoped to be able to set a diversionary fire in the basement, infiltrate under the guise of emergency personnel, steal the information and anything valuable that wasn't nailed down, load it into the emergency vehicle, declare the fire put out, and leave without firing a shot. The empire's complete lack of disaster preparedness, however, completely foiled that plan.
    New plan...

Query: What are available disguises in Cartel base 56-e&'s armory?   
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2012, 11:29:11 pm »

((@Draignean: "At least 0" means that they don't know. So the GM may have put some fire alarms there retroactively.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 12, 2012, 11:34:02 pm »

((@Draignean: "At least 0" means that they don't know. So the GM may have put some fire alarms there retroactively.))

((Yes, but I'm not willing to gamble on a maybe. Ruark trusts the Cartel's sources as well as he trusts anything, if they don't show him an opening, he's not about to take it on faith that one will appear because it would be convenient.

There's always the backup plan: walk in the front door, shoot anyone who gets in our way, and see where it goes from there.))
---

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #127 on: May 12, 2012, 11:40:36 pm »

>query

The list is too large to send. However, most clothes and disguises that are not too expensive/rare (such as a Underearth noble clothes, or the uniform of the Empress's private guard) are available or improvisable.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2012, 12:57:36 am »

Running his eyes down the list of facilities once more, Carl doesn't see anything vital for this mission.
"I guess I'm ready. Shade?"
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2012, 08:52:26 am »

"Sure, get the others, and lets get started with what must be done." Shade said as she turned, and began making her way out of the building.

Wait for the others, and go on the mission!

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2012, 09:41:52 am »

Join Shade on the way out.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2012, 11:39:45 am »

Serat goes after Shade, and takes out his compass.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2012, 12:54:57 pm »

Sevten went to the Cartel building he was in's console and confirmed the roster for him.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Cartel of the Sky — Acquaintance
« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2012, 09:19:02 pm »

Dorian restlessly tapped his foot as he examined the intel for 121. "Really, getting in shouldn't be too bad. It's getting back out that's the kicker..."

>Query
>
> What is the nature of the aforementioned fissure? Is it guarded?
> What security measures (if any) impede movement from the ground floor to the second floor?
> What is the nature of the breakthrough? Data, physical object, other?
> Does the lab specialize in a particular kind of research, or is it generalized?
>
>

"I make it a policy to know how big the boom will be before setting off any kind of explosive. I'd hate to find out about the inflammable industrial chemicals this lab was developing while we were still in the fissure." So saying, Dorian redeems his coupons (and 20 credits) for 6 units of C4.

((speaking of big booms, how much havoc can I wreak with one unit of C4?))

Spoiler: Dorian Chronis (click to show/hide)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2012, 09:35:53 pm »

>query

> Fissure is due to a minor earthquake. Probably not guarded, but no assurances. There has been no human passage spotted.
> The garrisoned guard probably is near the stairwells. One of the two Thorns/Flowers is on each floor, and the basement is probably not guarded.
> The breakthrough is a well documented, cited, and written three hundred ninety page thesis.
> The lab used to be a materials research lab, but was absorbed into the government and converted to a Tower lab.

The regular C4 is on the weak side: enough to maybe destroy a wall. Blast radius of around five feet. The upgraded C4i has a blast radius of some fifteen feet and probably will be able to collapse a small building if used strategically.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13