Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Cartel of the Sky — Convoy & Lab;  (Read 14370 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Cartel of the Sky — Convoy & Lab;
« on: May 07, 2012, 10:16:58 pm »

In the world, there used to be two 'earths' : there was the underearth, called the Underearth, for rather obvious reasons, and then there was another earth high in the sky above the Underearth. In fact, it was so high that it was impossible to see it. The sky earth was called either the Upperearth or the Celestial Earth. Between the two earths was a giant sea floating in the air, called the Middle Ocean. And connecting the two was a thin tower, like a spider thread hanging between a pair of shields. It was named Sky Tower at first, but as time passed, and as it blocked the tower, the name was slowly forgotten to the ravages of time...

The Cartel. The Imperial Flowers and Thorns. Two groups that directly oppose each other, yet both have a common goal, destroying the blockade at the tower. It is one of the few paths to the Underworld, and is perhaps the most heavily defended. Who defends it is unknown, but what -is- sure is that almost every person who attempted to run the blockade came back as a smoking pile of cinders, or worse.

The blockade has stood fast for a couple hundred years now, and the Upper and Under worlds are widely diverged. The Upperearth has abandoned magic due to a series of incidents long ago, and has pursued technology with the single-minded focus of a rabid dog. The Underearth, conversely, has continued on with its development of magic alongside technology. They are more primitive, by Celestial standards, but the magic items they have are quite coveted.

The Cartel smuggles technology, mostly firearms but every once in a while other ones, such as clockwork spider sentinels, to the Underearth, and acquire magic items to supply to various unsavory (in the Imperial opinion) groups who more often than not are planning to overthrow the Imperial regime in a shouting of revolution.

The Imperial Flowers/Thorns are highly trained and skilled agents, picked at youth and trained to be loyal to the Empress, who are given orders to act freely to uphold the integrity of the Empress's lands. This duty usually means that they attempt to stop the Cartel from crossing the world's border, and also that they don't need to uphold petty virtues like 'a fair trial' or 'humane prisoner treatment' or 'mercy'. Studies conducted by the Cartel has shown that the Imperials are especially lacking in the last one, for some reason.

You are a new and rising young talent in the Cartel, tasked with two missions : one, smuggle and raise as much a profit as you can, and two, find a way to run the blockade reliably.

This RTD is -not- first come first serve.
Judging of sheets is done by:
  45% bio
  30% grammar/general English usage.
  15% past RTD history
  10% transfat

This RTD's setting is . . . in the Upperearth, where technology has dominated over magic. Typical weapons would include bowguns, revolvers, handcannons, semi-automatic weapons, flying robots of missiley doom, big freaking laser wave motion guns, photon bombs shot from somewhere far away, rice cookers that act like an oversized Tesla coil, clockwork robots that eat TNT for breakfast, anti-tank-revolving-missile-launchers, grenades, magical bullets imbued with explosive fiah or freezing ice...

...but strangely little electricity. D:

Spoiler: Character sheet (click to show/hide)

A Dragonoid is a bipedal humanoid drake-like thing without wings and with a distinctive reptile head. They are usually tall and muscular.

Robotics : Aforementioned clockwork or steamwork robots, flying missile platforms, humongous mecha... etc.
Heavy Weapons : Gatling guns, anti-tank revolving-missile-launchers, lazor guns, photon bombs . . .
Spitfire : Overcome obstacles by shooting them full of a couple hundred bullets a minute, with a couple magically enhanced grenades thrown in for good measure.

Rangers : Get close and personal, mixing up kicks and smacking with a gun, high maneuverability, and wickedly accurate vital shots.

Generalist : Do everything everyone else does, but worse.

NOTE : You will have to keep track of stats and inventory.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 01:47:06 pm by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Cartel of the Sky —
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 10:17:26 pm »

I might add something like 'prestige classes', nifty things that could be useful but isn't worthy enough for a whole class of its own.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:36:39 pm by Skyrunner »

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 10:19:32 pm »

Writing.
Ow the classes are good. It gets me in doubt.

Sheet done.
Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 06:18:27 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 10:54:40 pm »

Spoiler: Finished! (click to show/hide)

For once Timezones agree with me. Yay! Skyrunner!

Also, Sky Tower? Sounds...familiar. :3
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 02:07:48 pm by Tiruin »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 10:55:43 pm »

You pluck the skills from tha' stratosphere.
Just make one up. O_o

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 11:21:00 pm »

Is it possible to have an underearth Artificier character? (Skills going in magic to aid technology?  :P)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 11:23:04 pm »

What is the difference between humans and Celestial humans?
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 11:56:38 pm »

This sounds like a cool setting- I'm in.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And lord, 10% trans fat? This game better be damn delicious...

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 01:21:01 am »

I think I'll attempt in on this. Looks nice.
Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

Finished now. I think. Finally.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 04:18:39 pm by Spaghetti7 »
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 07:01:51 am »

Spoiler: Now Complete (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:33:58 am by wolfchild »
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 07:10:20 am »

@wolfchild: Wouldn't the [steampunk/clockwork] powered armor be more akin to robotics?
>Yes?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 08:32:57 am »

Oh. OH! Finally got my answer  :D.

Sheet done.

Spaghetti7, you need to choose two abilities and make two skills.

And lord, 10% trans fat? This game better be damn delicious...
W-will our sheets be eaten? O_o

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 09:14:51 am »

lol, kitsune. I was considering it, but I guess I'll go through with Azastre, the human blue-haired boy.
>Yes?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 09:20:11 am »

Spoiler: Serat Palitra (click to show/hide)
Wait...if we have to pay pyramid commission, does that mean that we could profit by recruiting others?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 09:22:05 am »

lol, kitsune. I was considering it, but I guess I'll go through with Azastre, the human blue-haired boy.
Welcome back, Azastre!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13