Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress Of Sorrow  (Read 1463 times)

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress Of Sorrow
« on: May 07, 2012, 06:56:57 pm »

Most players of DF would probably agree that it takes a decent amount of concentration to do things right. Obviously, a lack of concentration can lead to FUN, but there's also the effect of building a fortress that is so uninspiring that sunshine and fresh air seems more appealing. Or worse, you want to play a different game for awhile. I'm sure that we've all had moments like this, so tell the community about your most uninspired fortress!!!

P.S.- It could also be a fortress that started with inspiration, but then you suddenly said, "F@#$ it.", and lost interest in it, but continued to work on it.

Sadly, I can't think of any at the moment. When I do, I'll mention it. :)

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Of Sorrow
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 07:48:19 pm »

I've had this before.
I can spesificaly think of one particular fortress that lasted something around 35-40 years, dispite my best efforts to cause !!FUN!!.
(I wasn't willing to just dump magma on/flood the fortress as it deserved better than that, nor was I just going to leave the door open to invaders, so 'my best efforts' mostly consisted of taking large risks with safety and in dealing with sieges.)
It was quite comical I guess, the fortress went through a tantrum spiral every few years, killing about 30-40 dwarves, and then just proceded to recover, this happend at least 5 times.

It's happend other times aswell with less grand/enduring fortress and quite often the world just ended up getting deleted (usually not my fault, just from things like corruption or me messing with something trying to make it more interesting)

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 07:51:31 pm »

I've had this before.
I can spesificaly think of one particular fortress that lasted something around 35-40 years, dispite my best efforts to cause !!FUN!!.
(I wasn't willing to just dump magma on/flood the fortress as it deserved better than that, nor was I just going to leave the door open to invaders, so 'my best efforts' mostly consisted of taking large risks with safety and in dealing with sieges.)
It was quite comical I guess, the fortress went through a tantrum spiral every few years, killing about 30-40 dwarves, and then just proceded to recover, this happend at least 5 times.

It's happend other times aswell with less grand/enduring fortress and quite often the world just ended up getting deleted (usually not my fault, just from things like corruption or me messing with something trying to make it more interesting)

Magma was too easy, eh?

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 08:31:26 pm »

I've had this before.

Magma was too easy, eh?

They deserved a chance.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 09:26:18 pm »

I made a fortress that took over the entirety of a small island. The only metal was gold.

I was super duper rich, but only with a single trade caravan and there wasn't a single thing to fight, even in the caverns below. Plus, I hated how I laid it out after a while, so I destroyed it and then abandoned it.

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 07:50:46 am »

P.S.- It could also be a fortress that started with inspiration, but then you suddenly said, "F@#$ it.", and lost interest in it, but continued to work on it.

My current fort is like this. I gave it up as soon as I had 40 more dwarves than my popcap allows. I just activated autolabor, so stuff gets done and nobody is idling.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 12:45:27 pm »

What the !@#!@## is autolabor??????? I've been playing this game for ages and I've never heard of it. Don't tell me I've been doing all this !@@#!@# by hand for nothing.

bluefox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 01:52:13 pm »

What the !@#!@## is autolabor??????? I've been playing this game for ages and I've never heard of it. Don't tell me I've been doing all this !@@#!@# by hand for nothing.

Well, not quite for nothing.

Autolabor is a dfhack utility. It's fairly new; made in the last month or so?

The write-up basically says " automatically assigns labors to dwarves, making them work more. It's magic!"

Basically, it prioritizes jobs a little better. If you have, say, a dedicated miner, but you're not mining anything at the moment, autolabor will find that idiling dwarf and say, "Hey, you! Stop slacking and get hauling!" and off he goes to contribute to your fort.

I haven't actually tried it, but that's what it appears to do. You should probably check out the dfhack thread for a better description.
....I think Dwarf Fortress may be putting us all into the mindset of being a Greek God.

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 01:52:26 pm »

It's a DFHack plugin, which automatically assigns labors to dwarves depending on the jobs that must be done. Is awesome, removes nearly every job micromanagement, but also completeley f*cks over your profession structures, so novice weaponsmiths will make your axes while the legendary one is off engraving a wall or something. It actually tries to assign skilled dwarves, but if they aren't avalaible it just takes some random dork which results in poor quality items.