Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: So, who's updated their Eternal Suggestion votes yet?  (Read 3649 times)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, who's updated their Eternal Suggestion votes yet?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 06:54:52 pm »

Mine are:
Auto-mining (for veins)
Job Priorities
Slow Down Immigration

Slow Down Immigration should be more popular since the new version just made this worse than ever.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 02:51:57 am »

I swapped my "more realistic mining" for "depth by darkening" because Toady is tackling mining at the moment. Once he moves on and I get a chance to play I'll reassess.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 09:28:09 am »

I'm pretty sure that Toady said at some point that poop is something he's never going to code
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 09:35:03 am »

I'm pretty sure that Toady said at some point that poop is something he's never going to code
But there's are material tokens for urine (FILTH_Y), feces (FILTH_B), and semen (UNKNOWN_SUBSTANCE) already in the game....

I'm not going to vote for anything that we can mod in.  Since we've got standing orders via DFHack, don't need to vote for that.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 09:59:04 am »

One cool thing about DF is how very differently people play. Anyway, here are my three:

Aye, there seems to be a large number of people who, and for the life of me I can't understand why, have voted for graphics, multithreading and numerous other technical and utterly boring things.  I dont recall playing any game in my life and thinking, "if the graphics were better, you know, I might continue playing.  But as they are, oh geesh just hit reset, please."

Gameplay votes all the way:
Auto mining
Lighting, heating and ventilation
Return of the guilds
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 10:39:49 am »

Class Warfare and the Pursuit of Happiness (Previously "Pimp My Fort")
    Lighting, heating, cooling, ventilation.
    Living world

Are my choices from the list, although what I'd really like, is a working inter-fort capitalist slavery with money, wages, purchasable items, foods and rent and so on. You know, to make shops a possibility, make item quality and value matter outside the fort value measurement, and to make money functional. Hell, maybe even we'd get adventurers visiting our legendary armor shops?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:45:42 am by rawrcakes »
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 10:56:38 am »

One cool thing about DF is how very differently people play. Anyway, here are my three:

Aye, there seems to be a large number of people who, and for the life of me I can't understand why, have voted for graphics, multithreading and numerous other technical and utterly boring things.  I dont recall playing any game in my life and thinking, "if the graphics were better, you know, I might continue playing.  But as they are, oh geesh just hit reset, please."

Gameplay votes all the way:
Auto mining
Lighting, heating and ventilation
Return of the guilds

Graphics update? Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and agree that graphics are not the point of DF at all. But multithreading would be pretty great- It'd mean I could have a larger fort with more people in it without the computer ever starting to chug, which means it's functionally a gameplay improvement that says "Let me do more things at the same time" and since pretty much every suggestion is going to involve *more* computing power to keep track of and run, it's important that we build the framework to support these things.
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 11:29:19 am »

Personally I voted for better graphics support not for "better graphics", but for the ability to tie any object in the game to a unique graphic. As it is now several items share the same graphic and have to be drawn accordingly. This makes it extremely difficult to draw something as simple as floor tile because that tile is shared with so many other non-related objects.

Lots of people who play DF would argue that modding DF to be more fun than anything else. That may not be your thing, but when they come up with something cool (Fortress Defense Mod, Dwarf Therapist, DFHack, Stonesense), you will probably appreciate that they created it. Changes that make their lives easier allow them to create new and better mods so that people who don't want to mess with the "boring stuff" can play a more interesting game.

I myself to do not create a graphics pack nor do I create mods, but I value what they do and voted accordingly.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 04:49:49 pm »

Personally I voted for better graphics support not for "better graphics", but for the ability to tie any object in the game to a unique graphic. As it is now several items share the same graphic and have to be drawn accordingly. This makes it extremely difficult to draw something as simple as floor tile because that tile is shared with so many other non-related objects.

Wait, is that really how it works? Goats and Goblins are both G's, so you need to draw a picture that could reasonably be either one?

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 06:53:27 pm »

Creature tiles are all completely independent as far as I know. You can directly reference both Goats and Goblins. The same cannot be said for certain other items. One example is the fact that the letter X, bins, and the up-down stair all must use the same graphic. Very challenging to draw something that can still be used as a letter X, also a bin and a stair. Just doesn't work.

Improved graphics support at it's core is just changing the system so that the tileset creators don't have to deal with these restrictions. Toady can still continue to use the same tile for multiple items. But other people would like the option to separate them. The system is already in place for creature graphics. So it's merely extending that to cover every in-game item.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 07:34:14 pm »

Disasters  (Yes I feel experiencing hurricanes is more important than having toilets and playing with sewage, sorry others feel differently)
Full graphics support  (This increase the size of the community and thus donations to Toady)
Multithreading support  (This would benefit everyone in the future)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 10:48:01 am »

My three are:

Farming Improvements
    Integrated Dwarf Foreman
    Sawmills

I also updated the improved hauling item to indicate that Toady is working on it and that the voting item will be depreciated soon.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 11:48:18 am »

I moved my vote to abstracted interface.  I want in-game dwarf therapist  :'(
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 01:18:29 pm »

I also updated the improved hauling item to indicate that Toady is working on it and that the voting item will be depreciated soon.

It would be nice if all those voters were contacted via to notify them this is arriving and they can update their votes.   This would return some who have left the game and would provide more votes for future desired features.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 01:49:10 pm »

It would be nice if all those voters were contacted via to notify them this is arriving and they can update their votes.   This would return some who have left the game and would provide more votes for future desired features.

I had originally planned on doing that, as there was originally a list of the users backing each suggesting, but I am unable to do so. :(
Pages: 1 [2] 3