Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: HELP! I suck so hard! Really!  (Read 4192 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! I suck so hard! Really!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 12:48:13 pm »

1. Aim for the legs, then the arms. Speed is everything, and if you cut off their legs, they can't hit you well when they've fallen down.

2. Utilize sharp weaponry to sever limbs. Don't attempt to break bones, unless you're relatively skilled in avoiding attacks.

3. When fighting a ton of people, always hide behind something, away from the sight of crossbow and bowmen.

4. Sneak. SNEAK before striking. SNEAK WHENEVER POSSIBLE.

5. Strangle some squirrels. Seriously, do that. Wrestle them, and choke them. You'll be surprised you're legendary+x after choking a few of them.

6. As other people have already said, throw stuff at them. You can get an infinite supply of dirt almost everywhere, or barring that, some pebbles.

7. Avoid fighting bandit leaders until you've finished all his cronies. These guys tend to be much, much more skilled than their minions.

8. Find shrines, hope that the inhabitant is made out of soft materials like water. Kill the inhabitant. Return to town. Tell people of news. Become hero and recruit a ton of people, and hopefully, ambushes would be neutral to you.

9. Get geared up in bronze, or something. Or make a fortress near your town of choice, make armor made out of steel. Become almost immortal with a full set of armor and an extra sharp candy or steel sword.

10. Become necromancer. You wouldn't need to eat, and maybe drink(?) anymore.

Lastly, don't suck too hard. You might choke on it. :P
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 10:21:39 am »

Lastly, don't suck too hard. You might choke on it. :P

Or he might bleed to death.

Krantz86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 11:49:19 am »

5. Strangle some squirrels. Seriously, do that. Wrestle them, and choke them. You'll be surprised you're legendary+x after choking a few of them.

god, i love this game
Re: 1000 sgins that you play Dwarf fortress (way) too much
154. When you get the word "adamantine" on your LA vocab, you quickly cross it out and replace it with "cotton candy" and spend the next 10 minutes in fetal position rocking back and forth in fear. (Yes, I actually did this.)
...Wait. Adamantine is real?...
...155. You are no longer sure what metals are real or fictional.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 01:21:18 pm »

Start with high agility for the movement and attack speed, and high dodging, because your starting armor sucks fluffy wamblers.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 09:51:16 pm »

Something not mentioned yet, prioritizing targets on the body...

Use Look to inspect enemies.

Remember what armor they have. e.g. if they have a breastplate use stab instead of slash.

Always do advanced combat and pick what you want to hit, with what, and how.
Generally go for easy hits, to injure your opponent on every attack. Don't try to force a kill, lessening their ablity to hurt you quickly is enough.

That said, always hit the head if it's likely to land.

Failing that, get a good hit on each bodypart to damage it then move on.

Take out the limbs. If you see notice of a severed nerve, tendon, or broken bone, stop attacking anywhere on that limb and move to the next one.

Remember what limbs you have already disabled. Unless you have NO other option don't hit it again, it's a waste of time. (If you have nothing better to do try use an attack that might open an artery or sever. If you broke an arm with a mace...well it doesn't really get more broken on the other hand blood loss is good. This is why, even when doing a mace or hammer character I fight with a knife or dagger in my shield hand. If my only good hit is on a broken limb i slash it.)

A little counter-intuitively hits to the body might not kill fast enough to prevent htem from killing you before they bleed out. But a good solid hit each on both the upper and lower body is helpfull, and if you can't take out a limb repeated body hits will speed demise anything from a little to almost instant.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Anatomy

If you forget what's going on use Look again and inspect the critter, and target undamaged areas. Again all the while waiting for a chance to hit the central nervous system 'off switch'
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 09:53:04 pm by Joben »
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 09:59:49 pm »

Start with maximum agility and use hit and run tactics. Never fight more than one enemy at a time. And always go for the easiest strike, hitting a guy in the head is only one round more efficient than hitting a guy in the finger so he passes out and then hitting him in the head. Most fights are going to last just long enough for one guy to get in a hit and then follow it up with a kill shot. Carry small daggers, knives, bolts, or arrows around. Even with 0 throwing skill you can a weapon one from two squares away, usually hit what your aiming at, and possibly chip a bone or even make a kill.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 11:04:03 am »

The "one leg and weapon hand first" rule is even more important in OldGenesis, due to the new three-part brain (cerebrum, cerebellum, brain connections) from the Brain Stem Project.
Also, the pain and bleeding amounts have been adjusted over N forts, so animals shouldn't pain-faint from a bolt to the toe.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

weedeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 02:58:50 pm »

I'd say that probably to most useful advice is to be very, VERY cautious. One torn throat or skull-brain-punch can spell death no matter what your stats look like. Let your companions take the first volley of arrows, and be constantly searching for better equipment. Also, watch your inventory. Getting too greedy and taking too many coin purses can half your speed without you noticing. Suddenly, every enemy is making 2 moves to your 1. All that being said, choosing demigod and grinding a bit before leaving your first town makes a world of difference. Keep in mind random encounters and quests are tied to your fame, and although those bandits might have been easy, a 20+ goblin ambush could be right around the corner. Keeping your fame low as you grind up your skills is recommended.
Pages: 1 [2]