Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HELP! I suck so hard! Really!  (Read 4193 times)

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
HELP! I suck so hard! Really!
« on: May 07, 2012, 01:10:11 pm »

Please help,
I keep dieing, I have tried all the different weapons or wrestling and even Mage (Genesis Mod).
I have tried all the races and no effect. I do everything like the Wiki and Forum Guide's tell me to do.
And even now i die because of a Gob, a black bear, Bogeyman ,wolfs,...
i tried becoming a Necro but i can't even find or see them. ( could someone please tell me how a Necro tower looks like in Phoenix?)  I have tried becoming a vamp, Can't find them. nothing helps.
Please help me.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! I suck so hard! Really!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 01:27:14 pm »

It's a roguelike. You are a starting adventurer, not an invicible badass hero. At least not yet.

Train skills on small creatures, and try never to fight too much creatures at the same time.

Also, avoid ranged weapon enemies like the plague unless you have a shield and very good shield user skill. Try and use the landscape for cover, so you can approach them without pincushion and incapacitate or kill them.

Get some scavenged armor as soon as possible. And whatever you do, do not engage bogeymen in melee unless your skills are really good. Try grasping them and then striking them with your weapon.

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 01:35:05 pm »

I do that.
And then, when i return to the village or go outside to find creatures i get amb by black bears.
And i can't outrun them.

sirquote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 01:58:24 pm »

Every time you die should be a lesson learned, unless it's freak accident which doesn't happen often.
Here are some basic tips.

- Don't let the Demigod stats fool you into thinking you actually are godlike.
- "Walk" a bit out of any town and stealth around, not only will this level up ambushing but you will come across more wildlife(rabbits,birds etc) to practice your skills on.
- Armor is life in this game, most good armor for starters can be found in town fortresses.
- Use Aim Attack whenever possible to get a good advantage over your enemies (go for the legs to make them easy targets)
- DON'T RUN INTO A FIGHT UNLESS YOU ARE SURE YOU CAN WIN. (Just because you have a steel sword/shield doesn't mean that black bear wont rip your arms off)

And that is my best attempt at teaching dorf survival basics, trust me there is so much more to know but it comes naturally with dying ALOT!

Good luck

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 02:23:28 pm »

Throw stuff at the black bear in order to weaken it. The more improbable the projectile, the more awesome the result it is.

Marvel at the ability of thrown water, thrown vermin, thrown blood, thrown sand, or any other ridiculous-sounding projectile, to maim or even kill a black bear. Yes, this is one of the reasons this game is the best game ever.

Sure you can actually throw rocks or bolts or arrows or weapons or -large serrated steel discs- to kill him, but throwing an elephant corpse to kill a stoat is far more amusing.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 02:31:14 am »

1. Always be sneaking. If you are seen by one hostile enemy, they will all come charging at you at once and mob you to death.
2. Learn to throw. As has been said, you can throw anything. At first you won't hit too often, but as your skill builds up you'll be able to kill something by chucking water at it. Once something passes out from pain after you've been pelting it with rocks, you can walk up to it and kill it with your main weapon without being seen by the others.
3. If you get caught - RUN! Try to duck behind a tree or something so you can sneak again. Enemies are pretty stupid on this front. If they watch you run behind a tree and then you successfully sneak, they'll just stop chasing you immediately. "Huh. Guess he vaporized behind that tree. Only logical explanation. No need to go check." Then you can sneak back over and start pelting them with rocks again.
4. Check town fortresses for armor, good weapons, and most importantly, stacks of bolts and arrows. Throwing those can get you instant headshot kills even with mediocre skill in throwing, and they come in easy-to-carry stacks.

This is how I start all my adventurers. Most of them still die pretty quick, but if you manage to survive a while and build up some good stats and find some great armor, you can become a killing machine. And then you can die hilariously by a lucky shot from a kobold with a copper knife.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 02:38:42 pm »

I thought you were a vampire from the title.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 03:08:45 pm »

▲
 ▲ ▲
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 09:51:20 am by Meistermoxx »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 03:49:10 pm »

- Armor is life in this game, most good armor for starters can be found in town fortresses.
There's usually some hostiles down there, but if anyone's inhabiting the keep upstairs you can try to kite them back and let them take care of it. Unless you open the door to a half-dozen kobold archers, then you're screwed without stealth. Nothing in DF is ever that easy.

And that is my best attempt at teaching dorf survival basics, trust me there is so much more to know but it comes naturally with dying ALOT!
Yeah, you have to get good at dying before you get good at not dying.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 04:05:31 pm »

the best part about throwing is that not only can you kill with thrown water, you can decapitate things with thrown water, or lodge water in wounds. throwing corpses. fun stuff.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

pi_Age

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 08:20:20 am »

Be a human (to use scavenged armors) and use scimitars or short swords (you'll get many "the severed part sails off in an arc").

If you get wounded, flee and rest.

Powerleveling helps too http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Adventure#How_do_I_increase_my_skills_and_attributes.3F_.28powerleveling.29

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 09:53:08 am »

If you're really desperate, make a fortress in fortress mode near to your Adventurers starting place, dig down to the awesome metals, and make yourself some neat armor and weapons.
Make the place a liar with dfhack and abandon.
Start your adventurer, go to your fortress and collect the equipment.
Should help quite a bit.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 10:39:48 am »

That's practically a necessity if you're playing a dwarf or elf; suitable gear isn't available in any shops, scarce in lairs and fortresses, slightly less scarce in the megabeast treasure troves that are probably out of your reach for a long time. But if you still suck at adventurer mode, I doubt you'll get the hang of fortress mode very quickly.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 10:46:40 am »

Becoming a vamp really solves a lot of your problems.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 11:55:09 am »

But I thought your stats get permantly set when you go vamp? Or is that just in fort mode?
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?
Pages: [1] 2