Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: possible to move save game folder ?  (Read 3386 times)

nappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
possible to move save game folder ?
« on: May 07, 2012, 10:38:43 am »

id like to move the save game folder over to my fileserver so the saves can be accessed from any of my home computers, anyone know if its possible ?
i could not find anything about setting the path to the savegame folder in the readme file, neither in the config file or in the help section for the DF.exe file.
a normal shortcut will not work.

any and all help appriciated.

nappy

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: possible to move save game folder ?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 10:52:05 am »

I'm assuming you're on Windows of some sort.  Try moving the /save folder and making a shortcut to the new location.  Rename the shortcut to "save" and put it in the /data folder.  Fingers crossed.

nappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 10:56:03 am »

thats exactly what i did, but when DF started it didnt list any of my saved worlds :(

I'm assuming you're on Windows of some sort.  Try moving the /save folder and making a shortcut to the new location.  Rename the shortcut to "save" and put it in the /data folder.  Fingers crossed.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 11:28:54 am »

Not possible without hacking the game itself, and not sure if it's possible even then.

What you could try is to copy the whole game (exe and everything) to the server folder and just have shortcuts to DF.exe in each computer.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

nappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 11:44:54 am »

that would probably work, but the fileserver would most likely kneel (since the game effectively now runs on the filserver) and access to my video collection would probably be severly limited while im playing  :o

Not possible without hacking the game itself, and not sure if it's possible even then.

What you could try is to copy the whole game (exe and everything) to the server folder and just have shortcuts to DF.exe in each computer.

nappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 11:51:04 am »

i gueess i could setup a cron/batch job as a wrapper around DF, that whould copy any savegame folder from the fileserver to the local machine before the game starts and writes the same data to the fileserver when i exit. this would make the savegames available to all my systems, but well.. id rather not.

nappy

Milcheax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 12:20:47 pm »

Windows Vista and 7 will not correctly path a shortcut to a folder, when using an app coded to look for an absolute path.

This means that WV/7 see C:\games\dwarf\data\save.lnk as a shortcut, and not as a SAVE directory, and it will be ignored.

I use a set of (badly written) batch files to first zip then copy my DF (and other worldbuilding game saves) to my Dropbox.
This works great at home.

Not so much when I'm phone tethering, as uploading the 20+MB zip when I'm done playing on my laptop really chokes.

I remember reading some sort of article on a geek site about "symbolic links" but never got into it.  Too complicated for a simple "copy c:\games\dwarf\data\save x:\dwarfsaves\"  :)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 12:29:27 pm »

I remember reading some sort of article on a geek site about "symbolic links" but never got into it.  Too complicated for a simple "copy c:\games\dwarf\data\save x:\dwarfsaves\"  :)

This.

In windows you can enter a command in the command line prompt that will fool the operating system into thinking the contents of the folder that you're linking to are actually in the folder where the shortcut is.  All references will automatically resolve to the destination folder at a low level.  Once you find out how to do it its very simple (like a single command).  I've used this a few times where I've installed bulky games with large directories onto my SSD with my operating system.  By copying the directory, setting up a symbolic link, and deleting the original, i was able to move large application folders without ever experiencing a hitch when running them.  I did this because I downloaded 10GB of battlefield 3 and the stupid EA piece of trash client had no other option to change the path without re-downloading the whole thing.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 12:35:58 pm »

Windows Vista and 7 will not correctly path a shortcut to a folder, when using an app coded to look for an absolute path.
You have to use a reparse point for this to work, not a shortcut.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 12:56:21 pm »

that would probably work, but the fileserver would most likely kneel (since the game effectively now runs on the filserver) and access to my video collection would probably be severly limited while im playing  :o

The game won't be running on the server, that's just where the files will be stored.  By a wide margin this is the simplest and most effective solution.  If you're using a win7 homegroup setup you can even do things like install programs from another computer's CD drive, once you're set up for it. 

What can end up being slow is the initial transfer of files before the game starts up.  If that ends up being the case, go to control panel->sync center and try to synchronize your DF save folders for the computers on your network.  Again I'm assuming windows 7 here.  Otherwise you could try downloading and using dropbox, but it's going to be pretty damn slow because of how enormous the DF save folder is. 
where is up?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 01:07:05 pm »

The game won't be running on the server, that's just where the files will be stored.  By a wide margin this is the simplest and most effective solution.  If you're using a win7 homegroup setup you can even do things like install programs from another computer's CD drive, once you're set up for it. 

What can end up being slow is the initial transfer of files before the game starts up.

Yeah, this is probably best.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

nappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 01:20:44 pm »

aight, thanx for the help lads, appriciated. ill do some digging and see what i end up with.

nappy

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 07:35:29 am »

You using Windows 7 or Vista?

Look up the mklink command, if so.  You can use this to put any folder physically anywhere you want it.  It's a symlink creator for windows, if that means anything to you, and if comes with the newer versions.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.