Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 245259 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Atlas of Worlds
« Reply #1140 on: August 12, 2016, 04:31:48 pm »

Details are up
Sounds neat, and the challenge league sounds crafty and full of interesting rares.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: August 12, 2016, 06:00:39 pm »

From quick glance doesnt look that interesting to me.  Will need to read more later how the map work now.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 06:02:59 pm by ragnar119 »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: August 12, 2016, 07:16:08 pm »

Hard to tell so far; details of how the atlas works are kinda vague. I'm sort of getting the feeling the atlas itself is not very interesting - from what I can tell, you just run the maps it tells you to & the boss in that map will have a high chance of dropping the next map in the chain. Once you hit the center you have a high chance of dropping a map containing one of the four minibosses, which I assume each drop 1/4 of the key needed to reach the main boss - good ol' davy jones. Despite all the theatrics, at the end of the day it's basically just "run maps in this order and you will get more map drops & a boss fight", which I dont think would keep me very interested.

The mechanics and expanded map pool that go along with it, on the other hand, is a very nice addition. Thirty new map layouts is a lot, and the ability to change the tier of the maps you get (even if only in the atlas) expands that even more. From what I can tell the new maps' generation algorithm works with varying heights, too, which makes the new map layouts visually much different from the old flat ones.

The league looks boring as sin, although we have even less info on that. I'm not much of a crafter, and being able to add a few powerful (but ultimately generic) mods to my equipment sounds like a joke of a league mechanic to me. That said, I heard some other people are interested, and it's not like we know all the details yet. Maybe the process to get those crafting essences is more involved and interesting than killing a random pack. I just doubt it. GGG usually release boring leagues alongside expansions so that people don't get overwhelmed.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: August 12, 2016, 11:42:34 pm »

Hard to tell so far; details of how the atlas works are kinda vague. I'm sort of getting the feeling the atlas itself is not very interesting - from what I can tell, you just run the maps it tells you to & the boss in that map will have a high chance of dropping the next map in the chain. Once you hit the center you have a high chance of dropping a map containing one of the four minibosses, which I assume each drop 1/4 of the key needed to reach the main boss - good ol' davy jones. Despite all the theatrics, at the end of the day it's basically just "run maps in this order and you will get more map drops & a boss fight", which I dont think would keep me very interested.
There's a bit more to it than that. There's also new endgame item bases which only drop in certain sections of the atlas; in one of the previews, Chris mentions that the Bone Helmet will only drop in maps that are in the 'graveyard' section of the atlas - I presume that the other high-end bases that have been shown off, like the Steel Ring and the EV/AR belt, will have similar restrictions.

Personally, I'm excited to (eventually) run a complete clusterfuck map with 8 corrupted mods, a bunch of extra mods from throwing currency at the atlas on top of that, and then a +5 level upgrade on top of that just in case everything wasn't enough of a mess already. Not sure how I feel about the upcoming league - it looks interesting from a crafting standpoint, but I don't know how much interest it'll generate since it seems from what I've seen so far that most of the interaction is locked to just using the crafting essences you get from the fight, rather than something like Ambush where you could throw currency at the boxes beforehand to reap more rewards afterwards.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: August 13, 2016, 08:00:02 am »

Ok, bean reading somewhat more, and yea, it looks more of the same. Probably one of the most mehh mini expansions so far. They are adding more maps, but that is not exactly new content, just as all other maps, its a reused one. They are making more a linear progression with maps, and you can add more mods to them thanks to atlas, but again nothing major different. There will be new farming areas for specific items with new base mods, but again, nothing huge that we already didn't have in some of different leagues, and this can also be a problem playing the same maps to get this drops. The only thing I like is the new currency to increase the level of the map, but knowing GGG and their drop rates, it will be hard to get and will not impact the game in any meaningful way.

The new league is just same as any other, again random special mobs like in talisman/perandus that you kill to get a new crafting item, that is nothing special, and again gamble. And the ones that are interesting will probably again be very hard to get They should have focused on improving the master crafting, than adding more option to gamble and crap to fill inventory .

I am guessing they couldnt do anything interesting this time, because they are focusing on act 5, and will probably wait for it release to go back to the game again. Even though i didnt like the labyrinth part of last mini expansion, as I hate the trap and more arcade style of gameplay and the need to to it 4 times for every character to unlock the classes fully, at least that addition was really new content, with new area, new boss with interesting mechanic and most importantly the new classes.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 08:02:04 am by ragnar119 »

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: August 15, 2016, 05:11:20 pm »

Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: August 16, 2016, 01:40:18 am »

I don't even...
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: August 16, 2016, 10:19:07 am »

so I made a thing.
Well, I guess I should take another look at mines. They didn't seem this good before.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: August 20, 2016, 05:25:31 am »

so I made a thing.
Well, I guess I should take another look at mines. They didn't seem this good before.

Very interesting!

The build is expensive though, needing two Essence Worm to keep the damage up and other pieces to make up for the lost resistances in the ring slots.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: August 20, 2016, 03:04:14 pm »

so I made a thing.

Very interesting!

The build is expensive though, needing two Essence Worm to keep the damage up and other pieces to make up for the lost resistances in the ring slots.
It's... a bit expensive, yeah. I tinkered with a phys bow version in Prophecy, but haven't gotten it to quite the same level of capability (only have 5Ls lying around in Prophecy right now).

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: August 30, 2016, 11:57:10 pm »

so I made a thing.

Very interesting!

It's... a bit expensive, yeah. I tinkered with a phys bow version in Prophecy, but haven't gotten it to quite the same level of capability (only have 5Ls lying around in Prophecy right now).

And now your build is ruined for single target... you can no longer bounce kinetic blast off your frost walls. :/

Frost Walls created by you or your allies are now no longer considered enemies for the purposes of projectile collision detection (your projectiles will not collide with your own Frost Wall). This intentionally fixes the exploit case where a player stacks many Frost Walls around a boss and uses a skill like Piercing Lightning Arrow to trigger an excessive amount of hits.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: August 31, 2016, 12:10:54 am »

Speaking of which, heres the patch notes.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: August 31, 2016, 01:27:16 am »

so I made a thing.

Very interesting!

And now your build is ruined for single target... you can no longer bounce kinetic blast off your frost walls. :/

Frost Walls created by you or your allies are now no longer considered enemies for the purposes of projectile collision detection (your projectiles will not collide with your own Frost Wall). This intentionally fixes the exploit case where a player stacks many Frost Walls around a boss and uses a skill like Piercing Lightning Arrow to trigger an excessive amount of hits.
Yep. Oh well, I've stupid builds aplenty planned for the next league.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: August 31, 2016, 04:44:21 am »

I think that the next patch is going to be dominated by Blade Vortex. Having 63% more damage up until 20 stacks is absurd. Old Blade Vortex needed 32 stacks to match that, and you'd only ever get more than 12-20 stacks if you were fighting a boss. I'm really bewildered by this change - Blade Vortex was already considered great, with pathfinder BV in particular being one of the best builds you could run in Prophecy. New BV blows that out of the water in virtually every situation. I personally think they should of given it far less of a damage boost if they just wanted to keep the skill as powerful as it was beforehand.

Another skill I want to try is rolling flames fireball, but I need to look around to see whether its cheap enough to make sense as a league starter. Also have no clue what ascendancy to use since Elementalist got nerfed.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 04:48:11 am by Rex_Nex »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: August 31, 2016, 07:23:46 am »

Elementalist still, of course. Unless you find a good reason to use something else.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 100