Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 245427 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Forsaken Masters
« Reply #825 on: September 02, 2014, 09:48:43 am »

I had a dream where I logged in and my Beyond character was in Standard.

The horror.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: September 02, 2014, 12:03:04 pm »

You want ES gear and a claw weapon if you're expecting the guardian to survive, the ES gear so it can take extra hits and the claw so it has regeneration of somekind.

Though I've only tried a guardian in A1 normal.

The guardian AI is really bad... it rushes to enemies leaving you behind, which means it's gonna die. Seems to be the same AI as skeletons, which are designed as disposable units. Zombies on the other hand hang around you. Guardian really should switch to zombie AI.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: September 02, 2014, 04:38:25 pm »

You want ES gear and a claw weapon if you're expecting the guardian to survive, the ES gear so it can take extra hits and the claw so it has regeneration of somekind.

Though I've only tried a guardian in A1 normal.
Claws are unnecessary -- minion passives provide 4% life leech and 2.5% regeneration. ES gear might be okay, but he's got 5000 HP, so you might not (or might!) need that last ~750. I think +life item mods might be pretty good though, I'd assume those stack with minion passives and the minion life support gem?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #828 on: September 03, 2014, 02:09:55 am »

So last week or so I finally came to a point where I could clad my templar in a bit more decent clothes and make him look a bit less of a bum. Because seriously, I'm totally cool with old man's bare legs, but it's a fact anything short of a full suit of armor just propagates the image of a bum with a stick.

However.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, you've gotta LOVE when the game crashes just as Dominus is 2-3 strikes away from death (his 1st stage at least). :I

So I've been thinking - blood magic totem summoner marauder?
Still in the making though. I'd also like to throw some mace/endurance charge/stun skills in the mix, but I think I'm allocating my skills too wide as it is. Also, I took Ancestral Bond but I'm seriously questioning if it's worth it. The idea is I'd use Warlord's Mark + AoE damage totems, mace for single targets (I'm thinking mace + shield, but could go for 2H I guess...) then spend any endurance charges on Immortal Call. I was also thinking of using Shield Charge but with AB the only good it is is getting away from the crowd if necessary and generating endurance charges with appropriate gem... which is good enough I guess?

Anyone's opinion on how crazy/stupid this whole idea is?

edit:
Actually, seems like kills by totem(s) don't give life or charges (if I'd use Warlord's mark). Hmmm, gotta re-think that...

edit 2:
Also, this line from wiki:
Note that the totem casts the player's skill, meaning that the skill is paid for with the totem's mana (or life if it is affected by Blood Magic)
If I am reading this right - "skills" in this context mean skills provided via "Skill totem" support gem? Shochwave/flame etc. totems do not use mana, right? Otherwise Bloodmagic on totems would be totally useless...

edit 3:
SO I've been looking at some dual flame totem + BM builds on official forums and seems like I'll need waaaaaay more intelligence points than originally planned. Not to mention focus, I think I really am stretching my skills too thin. Ugh, back to the drawing board I guess.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 04:10:27 pm by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: September 03, 2014, 12:46:21 pm »

Absolutely do not touch map Haku unless you are very confident in your and your parties abilities... even if you don't get the rock fall version, you can get summoners in the mix. There were so many corpses in there the whole party got stuck. Even if you attempt to flee you'd just get rubberband back without a desync-no-more aka quartz flask.

At least I just level up last night, so nothing significant was lost.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: September 04, 2014, 12:07:43 am »

Akekekeke  :P.  The trick is to clear it, then chill at the entrance while a single, fast person (who knows to oos often) carries the spirit to the entrance.  Corpse explode things if you're more worried about it. 

Sinistar, you figured it out.  It sounds like your build was going to be all over the place and complicated.  It's tempting to come up with complex builds or try to do too much with a single character.  IMO, it's better to choose one or two cool things and do no more than that.

Make sure you read the text on the keystone passives carefully. 'You can't deal damage with your skills yourself' is a super important part of ancestral bond and why it isn't a no-brainer on any templar and marauder.  Your totems and minions are your only damage source now, so your mace won't be any help against any targets.  At least you didn't take Chaos Innoculation with bad ES gear in hardcore :D .  I digress.  Given you can't deal damage yourself, taking a two handed mace would be pretty pointless.

I never really considered making a brutally simple blood magic+hp character, but it actually sounds kind of interesting.

This is a build I found while looking at this blood magic totem thing.  It sounds and looks like it works and is not expensive.  It basically does the same thing yours does, but more efficient and taking advantage of fire nodes and shields.

Please do something like this and not the build I saw that took the '60% Less Mana Reserved' node without any reservation skills and had 2 andvarius and a bunch of near perfect GG gear.  I don't even.

Ed: Another fun marauder build focuses on G. Slam and Heavy Strike for lulzy stun-locking and would work well for a blood magic build if you forgo using herald of ash.  A good 2-hand mace and 140% stun threshold reduction will see you always stunning everything but the act-bosses.  You've got stun, so you can build endurance charges easily, which helps your tank.

Here's an example tree for this build.  You can easily get a bit more stun duration and damage if you sacrifice some of the out of the way (maybe inefficient) things I did to get more life on it.  I cannot emphasize how funny this build is; how do you like bosses who can only perform their scripted actions?  It also scales with parties, because stunning is calculated based on HP before party effects.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:28:58 am by Rez »

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: September 04, 2014, 02:01:39 am »

Yes, PoE's skill tree is a horrible beast.

I've recently discovered the joys of molten strikes and axes and now I'm all full of ideas how to make fire&axe based marauder bloodmancer becausewho cares about totems, right?

Dammit PoE! Why so many choices! I just wanna easy to figure, dull skill tree with linear progression! :P

Thnaks for suggestions though. Your stun heavy build seems like crazy fun indeed, might try this one in the end.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: September 04, 2014, 02:09:38 am »

Coincidentally, this week's Build of the Week is about a molten strike build that uses an axe.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: September 04, 2014, 03:02:13 am »

Huh. Now that's a funny coincidence indeed.

Also interesting to see how different (better?) it is from the one I had in mind.
I was thinking Iron Grip to maximize projectile damage, then again it's probably better to just stick to fire damage nodes and 2h weapon.

One question I forgot to ask though:
Make sure you read the text on the keystone passives carefully. 'You can't deal damage with your skills yourself' is a super important part of ancestral bond and why it isn't a no-brainer on any templar and marauder.  Your totems and minions are your only damage source now, so your mace won't be any help against any targets.
Wait, you are saying not even my normal, left-mouse-click attacks would do damage? I'm confused, wiki says you can't deal damage directly with skills and links that to gem page, but the next line says you can only deal damage with minions, traps/mines and totems.

So theoretically speaking, you take this keystone and then don't (have to) bash an enemy with your weapon ever again?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: September 04, 2014, 04:21:53 am »

Chaos inoculation plus blood magic plus eldritch battery is winning combo.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: September 04, 2014, 05:01:50 am »

Huh. Now that's a funny coincidence indeed.

Also interesting to see how different (better?) it is from the one I had in mind.
I was thinking Iron Grip to maximize projectile damage, then again it's probably better to just stick to fire damage nodes and 2h weapon.

One question I forgot to ask though:
-ripquote-
Wait, you are saying not even my normal, left-mouse-click attacks would do damage? I'm confused, wiki says you can't deal damage directly with skills and links that to gem page, but the next line says you can only deal damage with minions, traps/mines and totems.

So theoretically speaking, you take this keystone and then don't (have to) bash an enemy with your weapon ever again?

Yep. You can only deal damage indirectly via totems, traps, or minions. Attacking or casting spells yourself won't deal any damage. You can still cull, funnily enough.

His build is focused more on the burn rather than the damage, which is a really different playstyle than what people normally do with molten strike.
As for Iron Grip, I would not recommend. Going out of the way to pick up the keystone isn't worth it unless you're really pumping your strength and you happen to be in the area of it. You'd get better mileage out of projectile, fire, and physical damage nodes, along with "physical damage with X melee weapon."

Here's a quick more "traditional" molten strike build. It used axe+shield, but it'd better with maces.

Chaos inoculation plus blood magic plus eldritch battery is winning combo.
http://youtu.be/F-fl86WxNJs

Bonus: http://youtu.be/Zk0Ga4Ztze0

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #836 on: September 09, 2014, 04:00:58 pm »

Spoiler: Maps are fun (click to show/hide)
Got a Zana in the middle, who opened a level 67 map where we got one unique and map, then the last bosses of the original map exploded into the other ones.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: September 09, 2014, 08:37:58 pm »

Spoiler: Maps are fun (click to show/hide)
Got a Zana in the middle, who opened a level 67 map where we got one unique and map, then the last bosses of the original map exploded into the other ones.

Everybody loves a map-ception.

But those really aren't your most important loot; the maps are low level and the unique items not particularly useful (the shield's a PvP shield). Your real reward lies in reputation for Zana, and all the rares you've picked up. :)

Trevasaurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: September 10, 2014, 12:06:47 am »

So I've finally built a character that can run maps without dying horribly and am working my way up the levels, currently working on lvl67 maps but I have a decent store of 68s too. Anyone interested in running some maps on rampage hit me up on my character Seirella.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: September 10, 2014, 12:29:57 am »

Speaking of masters, which masters would you/did you invite to your hideout? Rabid ElreonxMarauder shipping aside, from what I understand Zana is pretty much a must?

Or is it not that important in the end?
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 100