Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 245041 times)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Release & Scion
« Reply #495 on: November 04, 2013, 03:26:57 pm »

So what's this scion?  Is it a class?  Because I've never seen one and it's not in the character select.
I haven't played in a while, but from what I read, Scion is a class you unlock by beating the game. They start at the center of the passive tree.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 04, 2013, 03:31:51 pm »

You're apparently supposed to unlock the Scion from a rescue mission somewhere before the end of the game in Act 3.  I don't quite know myself because she was already unlocked for me from a previous playthrough.  Anywho, she's just another character, but she starts off in the exact center of the passive tree, just giving her an increased range of passives.

The game says she's an advanced character, but it just doesn't want everyone taking Scions.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 04, 2013, 03:32:50 pm »

Never again. I WILL get into Merciless and Cruel  with this build, screw all the hyped tanky tanks. My inspiration is Windrunner from DOTA 2.

"Your tiny featherless arrows can't hurt me, Sniper!"

Possibly the cutest character out of the DotA bunch by far.  I wish you luck on the build.  May your desync be low and your arrows fly true.

Much appreciated.
A note to anyone else trying out a bow build - most of your arrows will fly off the screen, until they hit something. Very few projectiles have a range limit - a notable example is poison arrow. What this means is you can freely shot arrows ahead if yourself and clear/engage waves from a safe distance.

This is actually why I like my Split Arrow+Fork+Pierce. The additional arrows will fly until an obstacle, and will devastate any groups. Once I have stable mana in late Ch. 2, I only see half of the enemies I kill.

Another nice trick is you can see a lot farther towards the "up" of the screen if you zoom all the way in. This way, you can get nice sniper shots at very distant enemies.

"Here, have an arrow!"
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 04, 2013, 04:00:44 pm »

Well until near the end of Chapter 3 your skill makes a huge difference! So you can be incapable of dodging and yet essentially dodge everything!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 04, 2013, 05:07:11 pm »

I think Scion is considered advanced because she has to pay a lot to get out of the center ring and into the other classes' rings. (Several long tracks of nothing but +Stat purchases.) And that can end a player up with a pretty shitty build if they don't know what they're doing/what they're going for.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 05:09:00 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 04, 2013, 05:37:48 pm »

Hm...  I'm finally at the point where I start doing maps, and some of these seem like they're going to be the death of me until I get more life leech.  I think I might start another character soon-ish, strength stacking Shadow sounds like fun. :P

On another note, did we ever decide if we wanted a Bay12 Guild or not?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 04, 2013, 08:16:10 pm »

So what's this scion?  Is it a class?  Because I've never seen one and it's not in the character select.
THere is a cage in the Scepter of God (This cage is empty if you got into Cruel with a non-deleted character before release(because you already have the unlock), or if your party includes a Scion (because they have it unlocked)). You click it and the Scion is freed. Talk to her and now you can play as the scion.

@Karkov If people want to do something other than just ignore the topic, it would be known. But right now its a mystery.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:19:10 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 04, 2013, 08:23:54 pm »

I just beat Merveil.  Dual strike seems to make a lot of these early bosses and rares kind of a joke.  I also got a lifesteal gem on my Reave which basically makes me even more unkillable.  I've only died once when the medicine chest island unique got a lucky freeze on me while a bunch of cannibals were hitting me.
Shoes...

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 04, 2013, 08:28:08 pm »

Hailrake, the destroyer of runs and the killer of noobs.  Beware his off-screen ice shots, for they have ended many a life.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:31:02 pm by Karkov »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 04, 2013, 08:36:10 pm »

I just beat Merveil.  Dual strike seems to make a lot of these early bosses and rares kind of a joke.  I also got a lifesteal gem on my Reave which basically makes me even more unkillable.  I've only died once when the medicine chest island unique got a lucky freeze on me while a bunch of cannibals were hitting me.

Dual Strike FTW. Enjoy it while it lasts though, because without serious damage scaling, you don't do the DPS you need to against later bosses, because they'll force you to move or die and you don't get your DS awesomeness consistently applied. A lot of uniques even in normal eat melees for breakfast. (Gravidius comes to mind.) The trap you fall into is you can Dual Strike your way through an entire horde of normals and blues, to pulp the Yellow at the center. Up until Act 3, when suddenly trash stops dying so fast, a pack of blues becomes a serious threat and you end up surrounded.

Which is why I always try to keep a ranged AoE solution on hand. For Dex classes, a bow and Poison Arrow can do a ton of AoE damage with very little work, especially if you can maintain your attack speed between gear sets. Or you can just slap Firestorm on. (Man, Firestorm. I wish the skill wasn't as good as it is, because it ends up on every one of my characters.)
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 04, 2013, 08:44:20 pm »

Firestorm is indeed awesome. One of the shrines in Domination even gives you it's effect (with additional burning ground) if you dive in and grab it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 04, 2013, 08:53:11 pm »

Firestorm is indeed awesome. One of the shrines in Domination even gives you it's effect (with additional burning ground) if you dive in and grab it.
Yeah, the altar's version doesn't seem nearly as strong as if you were actually using the spell though.  Damn shame, it's fun to be spinning through a group of blues with fire raining behind me.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 04, 2013, 09:02:47 pm »

Best shrine I've seen so far (slightly before killing merveil with this guy) was actually the Diamond one, which is 100% crits until it wears off (Reaching it on the other hand, hurt for what should be an obvious reason).

Most hilarious one was a trio of the icy ground pulse one, I picked up all three in the ledge at once and they all went off together and just melted everything nearby until I was back down to 1 shrine's effect left...and maybe 1 or 2 enemies.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 04, 2013, 10:28:08 pm »

Best shine for me was the attack speed shrine. For melee, it's love. Heavy Striking people with Melee Splash at 2 swings a second is hilarious to watch. It starts looking like Infernal Blow at that point :P

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 04, 2013, 10:57:03 pm »

Got an acceleration and massive shrine next to each other.  As a Marauder, cycloning.  The lulz were had.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 100