Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 245403 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - The Awakening
« Reply #855 on: April 10, 2015, 02:16:02 pm »

Yep. I'd be playing PoE were it not for the constant desyncs (and yes, we've had this conversation here multiple times.) I didn't mind until I hit Merciless. Then it just became too dicey to play with it being that inconsistent. Losing 30 minutes of grinding or more to a de-sync death murders my motivation to continue, and the Exile fights are absolute balls under those conditions.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 10, 2015, 07:22:10 pm »

Netcode improvements would be a godsend.  That was what irritated me the most about POE.  Nothing like putting 50 arrows in a skeleton and then he teleports backwards and is back at full health.
This is the main reason I stopped playing PoE. I'm so freaking excited to be able to play a melee build and not have desyncs. Holy crap I want PoE back in my life in a less frustrating way.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: April 11, 2015, 10:43:05 pm »

*grunts*  I'll believe the netcode improvements when I feel them...  That said, I'll stay open minded.

I will reinstall my client tonight, putter around a little, tidy up stashes and whatnot.  Even if I get into the new-beta, I probably won't be on a whole lot until spring semester is done...  I have a lot of lab work to plow through, and not a lot of weeks left to do it.

I am easily reachable via b12 PM (they bounce to my email), if anyone wants to preemptively join Nist Akath ahead of the expansion.  Darius_Faratine is still a valid character name, he's just in Standard now.  The guild stash is small, but stocked with newbie twink gear for quick character starts.  I also have a mish-mash of other gear in my personal stash I am willing to share.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: April 20, 2015, 10:09:43 am »

So I decided to jump back in given I haven't played since before the Vaal update.

And I was pleasantly surprised.

First off, they must have done an experience rebalance. Because getting XP in Merciless at Level 66 used to be like pulling teeth. A full clear in an area only a few levels lower than me would be a bar or two of XP. It was slow enough that the inevitable de-sync death would wipe out XP faster than you could safely earn it, and made me question why I was even bothering to try.

Now, the gradient seems a lot more forgiving. At 9 levels lower, XP was about as slow as I remember. But at less than 9 levels below me, the XP gain was much, much quicker. I actually gained a couple levels over the weekend, where I haven't leveled in PoE on my Scion for a long time.

And oh, my Scion, how I love her. Reckoning dropped for me which has basically completed my "Joan of Arc/Maiden of Blades" build.

http://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Nenjin/characters

Shield Charge with Melee Physical Damage will now wreck basically anything that isn't a champion in two hits. Reckoning fires off in every direction, so guys attacking my back are usually getting their ass kicked while I attack to my front. I've got Enduring Cry hooked up to Cast on Damage Taken, so I've got some passive damage mitigation set up too. Her other attacks are as awesome as they've always been.

I really like how my build is both thematically appropriate (a female paladin/knight), and has worked out very well for me in terms of gameplay.

Desyncs continue to be a thing, that still happen at the most perplexing time in addition to a) when there's more than 8 guys on the screen b) when you're in a narrow corridor or c) when I use Shield Charge. Combined with the fact that I don't have the resists I need for Mercliess yet, and most Vaal bosses are a guaranteed death. So I only try to do Vaal levels and bosses when I've just leveled and have no XP to lose.

But generally the game seems easier. After my respec I was dreading my first Merciless Exile fight, but it was surprisingly easy when it happened, and the next couple Exiles went down without a ton of problems either. It's still the case take taking a full hit from an elemental attack is almost assuredly a death sentence, but at least you can avoid them with pretty good success now, vs. in the past where it seems like Exile AI and speed, combined with the damage, meant you were pretty much always fucked.

The masters I'm sort of "eh" on, daily quests are not really my thing. But the Hideout is pretty cool, it's that nice bit of meta-gameplay that helps you live in a F2P game. And while I don't really have the gear to start using their crafting stuff to full advantage, I'm looking forward to doing so. It's also nice that the Forsaken Master missions can be approached in different ways and aren't all about slaughtering some guys (most are, but some are not.)

So generally, I've fallen in love with PoE again since difficulty seems to have been reduced and no longer actively makes me want to stop playing. No idea how long this fling will last this time, but it's strong enough I actually want to go back and play my other characters too.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 10:25:47 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: April 20, 2015, 11:09:57 am »

According to the public balance (bolded, underlined, block capitals turned red not patch notes) notes so far, they've rebuilt the quest rewards from scratch (and mentioned later adding an as-yet-unfinished system for 'alternate gems' to assist racers and variant builds?), and changed the start level on a number of gems, among lots and lots of other things probably not worth mentioning out of context.

Post is here.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: April 20, 2015, 02:15:28 pm »

The main devs of this game are extremely strange, and say some very stupid shit about how they balance this game. I was surprised that they literally balance the damage of mobs around people alt+f4 the game. I just found out about it few days ago. How dumb can you be to say something like that I dont know.
Make love not war

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: April 20, 2015, 02:21:03 pm »

Source?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 20, 2015, 02:27:06 pm »

Quote from: Chris
"
We want our fights to have large swings of damage and to cause a rush of adrenaline in the player. If the game didn't allow you to drop instantly then we'd have to dumb down the fights so much. We've tried it.

In addition, it means that we're able to make hard boss fights that players can attrition if they choose to. If we had to design the act bosses so that players needed to kill them in one go without dying then they would be pushovers.

We have said this multiple times on the forum and in interviews before (as well as implementing the game to be that way) - our stance shouldn't be a surprise!

Quote from: Chris
I played hardcore d2 for many years. I pressed alt-F4 once every few days on average. I cannot imagine an Action RPG design where it's blocked. We discussed this heavily when designing PoE. I'd love to find a solution (because I agree it's bad in principle), but being able to "Nope" out of situations drastically changes a lot about the game.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/536962/page/3

I mean, wtf is he talking about?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 02:28:37 pm by miljan »
Make love not war

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: April 20, 2015, 02:37:22 pm »

This is sounding a whole lot like stuff that only really matters to hardcore league, to be honest. I haven't had anywhere where I thought alt+f4 was worth the effort reloading the game for.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 02:40:20 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 20, 2015, 02:38:52 pm »

The main devs of this game are extremely strange, and say some very stupid shit about how they balance this game. I was surprised that they literally balance the damage of mobs around people alt+f4 the game. I just found out about it few days ago. How dumb can you be to say something like that I dont know.
Wow. I'm not sorry I stopped playing.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: April 20, 2015, 02:46:23 pm »

This is sounding a whole lot like stuff that only really matters to hardcore league, to be honest. I haven't had anywhere where I thought alt+f4 was worth the effort reloading the game for.

Doesnt matter really. But they thought process on how they design the game or tried to do it is something I see for the first time and its just dumb. I dont have any other word to use.
Make love not war

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 20, 2015, 03:40:08 pm »

I think it's important to note that alt+F4-ing was happening before Path of Exile... indeed, even before Diablo 2, in essence.  In the classic roguelike Angband, the tactic was to activate your scroll/rod of recall, then run/survive long enough to wait out the delay and get pulled back to town.

While I agree with the general sentiment that alt+F4-ing is kinda lame, it's a thing people actually do, so GGG would be foolish to not account for it while designing.  To block the option would cause serious backlash; you can't just casually toss out genre conventions without having a good reason and/or something to fill the hole.  To design for never needing it, you get a milquetoast game; all facerolling all the time is no fun.

The damage swing is a hassle sometimes, yeah. I've been alpha-striked by poison snakes in Act 2 more than once.  Those leaping frog jerks in Upper Sceptre of God really chap my ass also.  But I don't play Hardcore, and probably never will... I don't like to gamble with my sunk time-costs like that.  The people that do actually use alt+F4 are hardcore, figuratively and literally, and maybe they actually need it.

The masters I'm sort of "eh" on, daily quests are not really my thing. But the Hideout is pretty cool, it's that nice bit of meta-gameplay that helps you live in a F2P game. And while I don't really have the gear to start using their crafting stuff to full advantage, I'm looking forward to doing so. It's also nice that the Forsaken Master missions can be approached in different ways and aren't all about slaughtering some guys (most are, but some are not.)

I'm not fond of the dailies either; it's a very MMO-ish way to go about it.  I have found the crafting to be fairly useful, though.  There are relatively cheap options to add +attribute or +resists to just about anything.  (a small handful of transmutation, or augmentation)  I used those to good effect in Torment to shore up my resists, and to make sure I was staying ahead of my skill gems' requirements.

I haven't done a single thing with decorating my Hideout, though supposedly I have a bunch of favour saved up with all the masters if I ever get around to it.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: April 20, 2015, 03:50:41 pm »

My Elreon hideout is very simple, as far as decorations go. Its got those lit lamps that looked reasonably neat, and some crafting benches.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: April 20, 2015, 04:38:51 pm »

My Elreon hideout is very simple, as far as decorations go. Its got those lit lamps that looked reasonably neat, and some crafting benches.

I like that space is functionally unlimited when it comes to decorating. Most games would be like "oh you get x slots for Y decorations." PoE is like "You wanna litter your hideout with debris? Go ahead and buy 1000 of them and stack them on top of each other, if you so choose." That's the kind of thing that will keep me playing for no real gameplay reason, is just to the ability to add until I'm satisfied.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 04:43:15 pm by nenjin »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 21, 2015, 11:31:49 am »

I think the most important change is that with Act 4 they will provide an optional alternative server-client communication - they implemented server-confirmation. Players in the same party can choose different models.

If you have a stable and relatively low ping, you will benefit from that. I usually have around 50 ping to the Singapore gateway, so I will definitely use the new model.

I can finally try flicker/movement skill builds.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 100