Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 245025 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Release & Scion
« Reply #510 on: November 05, 2013, 12:05:16 am »

The Dominus Fight:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 12:19:38 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 05, 2013, 01:07:09 am »

This is actually why I like my Split Arrow+Fork+Pierce. The additional arrows will fly until an obstacle, and will devastate any groups. Once I have stable mana in late Ch. 2, I only see half of the enemies I kill.

However, Fork and Pierce won't happen simultaneously. If your arrow pierced, it won't fork. If it forked, it won't pierce. The game chooses one for you randomly.  Same goes for Chain.

That means you took the damage penalty from both all the time, but only enjoy their effects half of the time. LMP/GMP may be a better option.

The Dominus Fight:

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 05, 2013, 01:15:53 am »

The Dominus Fight:

O:

Yeah that fight's a bastard:  FINAL BOSS SPOILERS BELOW

Only thing I forgot to mention, and this can be said to everyone:  For each consecutive member of your team you gain 50% quantity of items, but enemies get 50% extra health for normal, 75% for cruel, and 100% extra health for merciless difficulties.  Just remember that and then determine your own amount of time you want to spend wading through enemies.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:22:54 am by Karkov »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 05, 2013, 08:34:41 am »

The Dominus Fight:

O:

Yeah that fight's a bastard:  FINAL BOSS SPOILERS BELOW

Only thing I forgot to mention, and this can be said to everyone:  For each consecutive member of your team you gain 50% quantity of items, but enemies get 50% extra health for normal, 75% for cruel, and 100% extra health for merciless difficulties.  Just remember that and then determine your own amount of time you want to spend wading through enemies.

In the new leagues that quantity bonus is no longer true... because people used to get a screen full of white items, which is useless and silly. The bonus is tweaked to have more rarity and less quantity by adding more players. After 4 months of testing I think a tweaked version will be applied to Standard as well.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 05, 2013, 08:55:50 am »

You can't even find IIQ in the current 4 month leagues, unless its already built into the item and that item is available there. Pure IIR and group bonuses only for magic find, for experimentation purposes.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 05, 2013, 11:29:50 am »

Huh, well crap.  At least it still works for the other two leagues, just disregard the item quantity for the new leagues.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 05, 2013, 11:49:56 am »

This is actually why I like my Split Arrow+Fork+Pierce. The additional arrows will fly until an obstacle, and will devastate any groups. Once I have stable mana in late Ch. 2, I only see half of the enemies I kill.

However, Fork and Pierce won't happen simultaneously. If your arrow pierced, it won't fork. If it forked, it won't pierce. The game chooses one for you randomly.  Same goes for Chain.

That means you took the damage penalty from both all the time, but only enjoy their effects half of the time. LMP/GMP may be a better option.

Huh. I didn't know they didn't add up like this. I'm mostly okay with this, but I'll have to screw around with the set up.
I couldn't care less about LMP/GMP for bow attacks, though.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 05, 2013, 12:10:24 pm »

Another thing is that some projectile attacks are 100% auto-piercing - like Spectral Throw and Freezing Pulse. Fork and Chain will never trigger for them.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 05, 2013, 06:53:17 pm »

Generally my problem wasn't health. I've got enough LL to suffice, and just Firestorming some zombies is enough to refill my flasks.

It's just the insane spike damage that guy can do, and/or getting caught in a zombi-splosion. Guess I'll go farm for some more resists before trying again.

I'm tempted to team up to beat him, but it's kind of a pride thing to accomplish it myself.

Special mentions for Temporal Chains, and I guess really any curse. It's so nice that bosses are at least partially vulnerable to them. Unlike so many games where they pitch debuffs as an option then all the important mobs are all LOLNOPE. Temporal Chains especially I like, because it's a slow that also increases the duration of any debuffs you put on people. Goes great with Firestorm and Ice Nova, either extending the burn or the freeze.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 06:56:32 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 05, 2013, 07:04:21 pm »

Unlike so many games where they pitch debuffs as an option then all the important mobs are all LOLNOPE.

That's always been a pet peeve of mine. Playing Persona 4 and Chrono Trigger/Cross all last week game me a true hatred of useless 'debuffs' that only work on chaff units.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 05, 2013, 07:08:13 pm »

That said, I think most boss mobs in PoE have some kind of resistance to curses because I feel like my curses wear off quicker than on normal mobs.

Really though, any game that makes stuff immune to core game mechanics is a huge pet peeve of mine too. Why total immunity? Why not diminishing returns or some other interesting mechanic? Something is still better than nothing over a long enough timeline.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 05, 2013, 07:14:17 pm »

Hey at least the resistances to lightning and stuff aren't just "IMMUNE."  You know how many people would have serious roadblocks with that?  Sheesh.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 05, 2013, 07:28:12 pm »

From the 1.0.0 release patch notes:
Map Bosses now have 60% reduced curse effect (up from 50%).
Act bosses now have 70% reduced curse effect (up from 40%).
Rogue Exiles now have 50% reduced curse effect (up from 0%).
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 05, 2013, 07:35:57 pm »

Rogue Exiles now have 50% reduced curse effect (up from 0%).

Dear God, Xandro Blooddrinker is going to keep giving me hell even when I gear to fight him, isn't he?

For those of you who don't know ol' Xandro... Y'know, I had actually typed up a giant "here's what's gonna happen," but I think you guys would enjoy the surprise as much as I did.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 06, 2013, 02:52:56 pm »

I'll suppose I'll just make a guild for us in-game. It seems like everyone wants us to be in one yet no one has made one yet. At least as far as I've read through this thread anyways. The name is Order of Armok's Bloodthirsty Chosen. Send me a tell in-game and I'll add you. Xilionar is the name. ^_^
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 100