Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 245102 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Fall of Oriath
« Reply #1290 on: August 07, 2017, 03:58:48 pm »

Fair enough, like I said I went in with Lvl 88, 4khp, 12k armor, ~55% block chance cleave face tanker.....pretty much annihilated everything. Didn't bother with any of the boss fights after Innocence though. It was so easy and the rewards were already gotten and I wasn't in love with the story.....I didn't bother.

I mean, I expected some of these bosses to give me a run for my money like map bosses do, but the level scaling ensured that didn't/wouldn't happen I guess. I've just been so used to get kicked in the dick by new GGG bosses that I guess I was surprised when I didn't see it here. I really should go fight Kitava though just so I can see how bad she is. I thought Malachai was the pinnacle of BS boss fights, I wonder if they topped him.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 04:26:48 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: August 07, 2017, 04:08:26 pm »

I'm at lv 54 and A7 right now (Selfcast Storm burst & storm call), and aside from one point where I had practically no resists I've had not much trouble. I like the story so far, but I wasn't expecting anything special out of it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: August 07, 2017, 05:26:19 pm »

Just got back into this after the expansion dropped. I've always been a casual with this - never got into any of the powergaming or anything so I'm happy to run through it again. The only thing that I wish they'd do is keep proper randomised side areas. One of the leagues had this, and it mixed the standard story up enough to add some genuine interest, whereas the harbringer things are just a bit boring.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: August 07, 2017, 05:50:54 pm »

The Vaal side areas? They're still in. They're not a big step away from regular content, but they're still there.

I'll agree on Harbinger being a really weak league mechanic. The new orbs are nifty, but too sparse to use with any frequency. As an encounter, it's a lot more subdued than ambush or breach, but for the average character that isn't crushing content, it's pretty good. I'm not all that bothered given that we get it in the face of 3.0 and so doesn't really distract players from the new stuff, but I'll definitely hope for something more engaging next time around.

Ahh I've not seen any and I'm at the end of act 3 - I'm sure they used to be way, way more prevalent. Good to know they're around somewhere though.

Re: Harbringers - as I mentioned, I'm absolutely a casual with this (having played through twice before, but basically just to the story end and that's it over about 4 years) and I absolutely roflstomp them. I've never found them even slightly more difficult than average mobs which has meant it's been a bit disappointing. Dropping a few shards is nice, but it's just sorta like a random enemy with a guaranteed drop rather than an 'event'.

I'll keep progressing and see what happens I guess!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: August 07, 2017, 06:59:31 pm »

Harbinger is relatively skimpy on purpose. The focus of the league is the new content, with harbingers adding a bit on the top end in terms of endgame bossing.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: August 07, 2017, 09:16:42 pm »

Yup. The expansion leagues are generally pretty light, while the league patches are usually more chunky.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: August 07, 2017, 09:18:16 pm »

I think a lot of my dismissal of FoO comes from the fact that it was not presented well to me, at all. You start in the epilogue as an accomplished standard character, and have to work back through all the acts and what had happened. Which meant a lot of tedious visiting of areas the game had already unlocked and killing of bosses for no tangible benefit other than chasing down their story. Which means eventually I was in a hurry to collect my skill points rather than listening to the lore or piecing things together. And I had no sense of how anything interlinked, so it made the things I could see (big gold glowy angel, night black raven winged angel emo lord) seem overindulgent. (Even if I had played through the acts, I think I'd find the whole Innocence/Sin thing uninteresting and masturbatory. The dialog doesn't help at all in that regard.)

If they'd taken the time to allow standard players to actually experience the content, I might have a revised and better opinion. But since GGG doesn't give a fuck about standard beyond wiping out or changing what they need to keep us in synch with the latest game changes, I don't feel very bad about shitting all over it. They don't get to pat themselves on the back for how sweeping and glorious and epic FoO is when they didn't make the effort to make sure this symphony of story writing wasn't presented to their most marginalized group as a disjointed, broken piece of shit you're supposed to skip through.

For me I expected an epic struggle with the gods and what I got was a lot of side drama that had little to do with the player, and more lame semi-jokey sidequests simply to get my skill points back. Again, I felt like someone was writing at me rather than to me with a lot of the new content. I've gotten engaged with PoE lore previously, even come to like the world a bit. But what was supposed to be about your triumph over ALL the gods turned into some sort of weird weepy drama with an emo dude with angel wings with a flawlessly cultured British accent. I'm sure someone will be like "but the duality, the symbolism, the reversal!" but it doesn't really make it good or interesting. It's not like they haven't done this whole thing already with Solaris/Lunaris, did they really need to bash this cliche over the head again so aggressively? I wanted enemies to hate, and eventually, gods to throw down. Getting Piety was cool. Getting Dominus and Malachai was cool. Beating Izaro and becoming as awesome as the Emperors was cool. But what I got in FoO was a lot of awkward, stilted dialog from a character I've never met before and have no reason to care about, and no real way to experience anything to come to an appreciation of it other than tediously regrinding my way through it all. I got a lot of flashy bosses I was supposed to care about beating but who I never even had to fight.

Maybe it's because I've had to face every act boss as the "end game" boss that suddenly having all these new bosses scattered around the game fails to make me feel anything for them. The God especially. Yeesh, talk about underdelivering.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 09:34:54 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: August 07, 2017, 09:40:04 pm »

Of course its a mess in standard, but as far as I know they left all the characters who could do maps able to continue on with their maps by dropping them at the point you do maps. If they had shoved every maps-level character back into post-malachai A4, it would've just been a huge pile of complaints about being forced to steamroll through lower level content in its entirety just to get back to maps, or everyone who plays standard skipping the new content because they have a map device in their hideout and maybe rushing some sections in a month or two to grab skill points.

Other than strip levels off your character to make it fit the level of A5 content (lol, good luck justifying that to anyone above 60 in standard) or some sort of standard-specific level scaling system on top of the new content, I'm not sure how they'd actually replace 2 difficulties of repeated content with 6 acts of mixed new/old content without screwing up the league that only changes when the game itself changes around it, nenjin.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 09:41:42 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: August 07, 2017, 10:46:59 pm »

I mean, I'd have been happy to take a break from maps to steam roll the new content. That'd have suited me just fine. It's what I expected, not this cluster fuck. I think that's a lesser evil than being like "the solution to the problem we created is too complicated, so, screw these guys. Make them start over if they want to experience this huge thing we're super proud of in its entirety." It may be the only game expansion I"ve played where the game itself was like "Nah, you don't need to see any of this."

I feel like programmatically they could have come up with a better solution to this but didn't leave themselves the time and, as they often do, hand waved a bad solution and standard bore the brunt of it. Shit I'd almost rather have ground through the expansion entirely to reclaim my points just like everyone else, and actually be invested, than just to have the expansion treated like it didn't matter to my account. This isn't the first time these kinds of issues have cropped up for std players and I'm just annoyed that, this time, it came with basically needing to restart the game to appreciate anything besides the zones and the Pantheon buff in the update. I've never had to do that in PoE to appreciate a content addition, and it's irritating to be told that's my only recourse now. (I don't want to replay the whole game again even if it has a new structure. I've played enough Acts 1 - 4 to last me a life time.)

I'm not sure how they'd actually replace 2 difficulties of repeated content with 6 acts of mixed new/old content without screwing up the league that only changes when the game itself changes around it, nenjin.

How has any other game solved this issue? Shit, you play Warframe. How many retroactive bullshitty things have we had to go through over the years, because we've put tons of hours in and suddenly they introduce a newbie tutorial and lock some new (or existing!) features to it? We do the content......and then it's done. When they reworked the Solar System the last time so it's all progression unlocks, what did we see when we were in there? We had access to everything but we still had to do the objectives and unlock the relays. They skipped the dumb stuff like "Build a Mastery Rank 5 weapon" by applying our progress, because there's not much to experience in building something from a blueprint. But still made us fill out the missing objectives and unlock the relays, which was like the big key note feature of that update to the system. The story, you might almost say.

How PoE treated std players in the FoO update I think speaks to their continued weakness on the backend of the game, that they still run in to problems like this. This is like the third time in my memory my standard progression has gotten all fucky because of something they've done. That's why they love leagues so fucking much, honestly. They work with a set of assumptions that anything that is a problem in a previous build with characters can just get flushed with the new league and re-written, we're it not for those DAMNED standard players. So we'll just jank with their data. Why can't they just fuck off and play leagues, so we don't have to write sound code! This is the first time, however, where I feel like I've ever missed out on anything as a standard player, where I actually felt my sense of entitlement flare up. They care so little I couldn't even walk through the story on my standard character.

Shit, one new column in the character database, "Act4Vet", True/False. If true, you get no skill points for the quest you completed, and the game skips the reward window on quest completion. If false, it's a post 3.0 character, and shit works as normal. The solution they came up with seems far, far less sensible. No one would have cared they weren't getting rewards for 90% of the quests. Hell they could have swapped in books of regret if they really thought getting rewarded was that important part of the process. Clearly not since most of the rewards for me in the expansion was just relcaiming my existing points (and about 10 respec points or so.)

In the end I just can't thumbs up an expansion which didn't seem to want me to play it as a standard character. I hate that this distinction even exists in PoE and all the drama it causes, and I don't really have anyone to blame except GGG.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:10:01 pm by nenjin »

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: August 28, 2017, 11:27:40 am »

Currently trying to craft my Caustic Arrow build for Ranger, and I'm not really sure if it's worth getting Iron Reflexes on this life/evasion build. The other thing concerning me is how I would do levelling with this char, considering some life nodes (as well as those yummy dmg nodes near CI) and IR itself are located quite far from the ranger start of the tree, should I go for them first?

Here's the best version of the tree I've been able to come up with so far (link to poeplanner) :

https://tinyurl.com/ybelh4cx

PS I don't think my 85 lvl tree is too hard to complete, for I had no significant problems getting to 86 lvl with my Flame Totem templar, having only to do 1-2 tier maps and the boiling lake until he reached some 75 lvl, now at 86 lvl he scores 199% max life and 400% increased dmg for totems, though the dmg output is a bit sucky (being somewhere 8900 fire dps).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 02:01:51 pm by RoguelikeRazuka »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: August 28, 2017, 11:35:55 am »

You have both IR and Acrobatics. Acro causes you to have 50% less armor, which means you're turning your evasion into armor and then halving it. Pick one or the other. Maybe pick up Phase acrobatics if you go for that.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 11:37:33 am by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: August 28, 2017, 12:40:15 pm »

Definitely drop cloth and chain and IR. It's bad. So's spending as much on energy shield scaling as you do. Spend those points getting phase Acro and also Piercing shots near there. Also, I would really, really strongly recommend going Ascendant (Deadeye/Occultist) over actual Deadeye because you benefit very little from it in practice. You also take no jewel sockets, and jewel sockets are the best scaling you can get for CA.

I would suggest something closer to this: www.poeurl.com/bvJS

You basically just build along the tree towards the ranger starting wheels, grab those then start working up to the shadow damage over time stuff. Grab all the life goodies near scion when you start to feel squishy, and grab the jewel sockets as you find or buy good jewels. Get the deadeye ascendency after cruel lab and occultist after merc. If/when you do uber lab, grab the path of ranger and drop the two points bridging scion to vaal pact. As you get more levels past 85, fill out the Revenge of the Hunted wheel, and pick up the curse wheel you're already at.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: August 29, 2017, 08:19:07 am »

Thank you greatly for the help provided.

I decided to leave out IR and the nodes near the duelist start as you suggested and go for both Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics. I also had to give up Kraityn (for his favour is not very beneficial to me anyway) and take the 2 passive skill points instead. I tried my best getting as many jewel sockets on this build as I could, but as of now I haven't any jewels that would fit my build, neither I can afford these at the moment anyway, so it's not a big priority to me right now, but I could respec some evasion nodes aroud Reflexes (they're not allocated in the linked version) and get two jewels sockets whenever the need to do so comes up.

As for the suggestion to pick Scion rather than Ranger, you see I've started a Ranger some time ago (currently at lvl 22) and now I'm just too lazy to do that part of the game again, and I like Ranger better.

current version of my passive tree is here:

https://tinyurl.com/y8xmy5et

Now the problem concerning me most is the questionable 'sustainability' of the build, for I couldn't come up with a solution that would provide me decent life and mana leech/regen.

And what does Attack Damage refer to, exactly? For example Coldhearted Calculation gives me 12% increased Attack Damage, does it mean damage dealt when you hit, so it's not very useful to my Caustic Arrow ranger focused on dealing damage overtime?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 09:03:13 am by RoguelikeRazuka »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: August 29, 2017, 10:25:13 am »

Attack damage is any hit damage done by an attack skill. Caustic arrow's real damage, the cloud, only scales with projectile damage, chaos damage, and damage over time nodes. Possibly also bow nodes.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: September 03, 2017, 02:24:54 pm »

Managed to make it to lvl 71, and I suppose I probably shouldn't have made a Caustic Arrow build as my first char in the league, having no gear and currency. Shit survivability proved not to be the issue as I first assumed (for, being an evasion build with only 4k hp, my Caustic Arrow ranger is doing suprisingly well, evading/dodging most of attacks), but it is the low damage output afflicting me right now, for I score about 3700 chaos damage per second at the moment (having to use vulnerability all the time to mitigate this), got to run around the entire map waiting the adversaries to die off, and my single target damage sucks even more.

Sad, I really enjoyed playing this build for the most part, but I'm affarid I will have give it up for the time being and seek for something different.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 04:11:28 pm by RoguelikeRazuka »
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 100