Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Advice For Beginners  (Read 12915 times)

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Advice For Beginners
« on: May 07, 2012, 02:27:01 am »

I'm sure that there have been people playing this game since it's inception on this forum. Anyway, there's probably some piece of wisdom that the more seasoned of us can pass down to those who are just starting out. What advice will you pass down?

Here's mine-

If you think that you would POSSIBLY need a floodgate, just build the d@$% thing!!! I made the mistake of going, "Oh no... I don't need a floodgate in THE TUNNEL THAT I HAD CONNECTED TO A RIVER... Nothing BAD could happen... Suffice to say, everything was going well until I accidentally flooded my fortress. The lack of a floodgate was the only thing that was keeping me from stopping the flow of water to fix the problem.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
Re: Advice For Beginners
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 02:54:54 am »

Might as well go all the way and install floodgates absolutely friggin' everywhere to be safe. Just make sure you label them...
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 03:09:45 am »

Might as well go all the way and install floodgates absolutely friggin' everywhere to be safe. Just make sure you label them...

Seconded. :)

Just remember- When you play Dwarf Fortress, Murphy's Law applies.

biomatter

• Bay Watcher
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 03:15:01 am »

When setting up a workshop, try to make an input and an output stockpile nearby. Group workshops close together if they have similar piles.

Spare no expenses to keep your dwarves happy. Give them lavish rooms, dining halls, etc.

Use Dwarf Therapist.
Now you will know why you fear the night!

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 03:35:56 am »

Urist's Corollary to Murphy's Law: Which inevitably leads to Fun.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 03:37:36 am »

Use Dwarf Therapist.

Well... I have to say that using Dwarf Therapist is only a preference. To be honest, I personally think that it takes away from the immersion of the game. I mean... Isn't DF supposed to be a hard game to play? Kudos to those it helps though.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 03:38:38 am »

Urist's Corollary to Murphy's Law: Which inevitably leads to Fun.

EXACTLY

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 03:43:44 am »

Use Dwarf Therapist.

Well... I have to say that using Dwarf Therapist is only a preference. To be honest, I personally think that it takes away from the immersion of the game. I mean... Isn't DF supposed to be a hard game to play? Kudos to those it helps though.

game hard to play =/= unnecessarily unwieldy due to non game mechanics (poor UI)

The game can be hard enough on its own...especially with mods. The interface limiting usability shouldn't be a part of the game.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 04:32:06 am »

Use Dwarf Therapist.

game hard to play =/= unnecessarily unwieldy due to non game mechanics (poor UI)

The game can be hard enough on its own...especially with mods. The interface limiting usability shouldn't be a part of the game.

Good point. All I'm saying, however, is that when given a choice between clicking a few keys on the keyboard in DF versus clicking a bunch of times with a mouse in DT, DF seems more immersive. I've tried DT and it just doesn't work for me.

Also, I'm aware of custom professions in DT, but, honestly, who has EVER had a dwarf that NEVER changed jobs? Just saying.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 04:44:35 am »

The first room of your fort, connected to the door to the outside, yeah, build your barracks in your first room.  That way, your soldiers can train in it, and if you spot thieves or snatchers, you can deploy them effective immediately. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 06:53:50 am »

Use Dwarf Therapist.

Good point. All I'm saying, however, is that when given a choice between clicking a few keys on the keyboard in DF versus clicking a bunch of times with a mouse in DT, DF seems more immersive. I've tried DT and it just doesn't work for me.

Also, I'm aware of custom professions in DT, but, honestly, who has EVER had a dwarf that NEVER changed jobs? Just saying.

DT is mainly useful for lategame when you have 100+ dwarves, or when you get very large migrant waves. Custom professions is very useful for assigning military dwarves, as you can give them a custom profession like 'recruit (melee)' and then easily find them in the military screen.

I would never say it is essential, but the rapist certainly takes a lot of the micromanagement out of labour assignments when dwarf numbers start to increase. I never used to use DT, but I gradually warmed up to it as I played longer and longer forts, and now I find it so useful I dread the thought of playing without it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 06:56:04 am by Blakmane »

ichigo2862

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 07:37:41 am »

Use Dwarf Therapist.

DT is mainly useful for lategame when you have 100+ dwarves, or when you get very large migrant waves. Custom professions is very useful for assigning military dwarves, as you can give them a custom profession like 'recruit (melee)' and then easily find them in the military screen.

I would never say it is essential, but the rapist certainly takes a lot of the micromanagement out of labour assignments when dwarf numbers start to increase. I never used to use DT, but I gradually warmed up to it as I played longer and longer forts, and now I find it so useful I dread the thought of playing without it.

Hehehe.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 07:46:46 am »

JUST USE A DOOR.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 09:43:49 am »

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 09:49:40 am »

If possible, make everything magma-safe. (especially doors)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4