Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Archipelago Planet?  (Read 1773 times)

Archipelago Planet?
« on: May 07, 2012, 12:23:08 am »

What kinds of parameters in Adv. World Gen would I need to have in order to get a world that consists of a bunch of small islands, without anything that could be considered a "central" landmass?

Furthermore, would such a world be good for a "military campaign" type game? I know isolated islands don't see invaders or much trade, but if the entire world was made of islands, would it have the same effect, only globally?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:44:33 am by TheCoolSideofthePIllow »

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archipelago Planet?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 05:05:53 am »

You should first start by setting ocean edges to all 4 sides of the map.  After that, probably you should adjust the number of ocean squares on the map, and maybe lower the max elevation.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 05:35:08 am »

Setting up an archipelago would take some work to figure out, but it is certainly doable.  Messing around with the elevation mesh sizes (in addition to the aforementioned 4-edge-oceans) should be capable of tweaking things to how you like it.  The wiki has a very in-depth article on such things. 

Realistically though, island worlds are boring and suck right now.  You get no invaders and no trade, and possibly no migrants in fort mode.  Adventure mode is boring as well.  Sometime in the mid-future maritime trade should come up in development, and presumably along with that maritime war (though how much of this will be during worldgen or abstracted away is anyone's guess). 

My advice is basically don't do it.  If you want the feeling of an island adventure, a pocket world is a much better experience.  Nice thing about a pocket world is that in adventure mode, the world map is small enough to remember, and you get to know historical figures/locations a little better.  A long time ago I always generated large worlds, but those typically suffer from the island issue - neighbors are always so far away you can't visit them in adventure mode and your world history is dull and devoid of wars.  Does help keep beasts alive though (if you don't mind boring megabeasts with an empty kill roster).  These days I've settled on playing mostly on medium island-like worlds.  I usually fiddle with things to get a few extra deserts, and much more evil/good areas, and sometimes with the height mesh to get a good feeling shape.  These places tend to fence civs in enough to ensure conflict, but are big enough to allow a bit of wilderness (so you get some surviving beasts/titans).  That's just my take on things, and perhaps I'm not fully comprehending what you want to do with this particular world. 
where is up?

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 02:52:45 pm »

I done it once before but i cant remember how. I'll look into it again and post here if i get any results.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 01:12:41 am »

If i would like to make an island world i would begin with making a bigger elevation frequancy and augmont the weigth of lower tiles (however lover the needed beak number too if you do soo, and adjust or nullify the needed squeres) maximum elevation migth help too but i would go carefully with it as you migth end with no montaines at all => no dwarf civ => no genned world
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 06:56:05 am »

Honestly, one of the things I'd really like to see is a complete overhaul of worldgen. Not in terms of civilizations, but in terms of the base map. I'd like to have actual continents, islands or Pangaeae created with actual simulated plate tectonics. And once that's done, I'd like to replace the freezing-cold-temperate-warm-hot-scorching system of climate with something not unlike a Köppen system. London and Atlanta both count as "warm" under the current system, but there's a real difference between an oceanic climate and a humid subtropical climate, and DF doesn't really simulate it
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 06:57:58 am by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.