Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goblin companions?  (Read 3615 times)

Psiborg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Goblin companions?
« on: May 06, 2012, 10:15:51 pm »

Hey Im relatively new to adventure mode. You can imagine my suprise when I found my civ to be a mix of humans and goblins, both ready and willing to be my companions. Is this common? Can you get better creatures to join you?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin companions?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 11:32:24 pm »

I believe if you turn into a necromancer you can get other necromancers to follow you, but I could be wrong.  And I've heard of goblins mixed with other races before, its because they are babysnatchers.  As for better creatures, I don't really think any race is better than any other.  Cept for dwarves. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 12:01:21 am »

All races will coexist within human towns, dwarves and elves through trade, usually, while goblins, kobolds, and animal people usually only show up as bandits, vampires, and other outcasts. However, if a human civ conquers a goblin civ's site and neglect to slaughter the entire populace, goblins will begin to spread within the human civilization as common citizens.

Dwarves usually make better companions since they can trance and thus have very slightly superior survivability. If you're a vampire, necromancers and mummies will be friendly to you, and it may be possible to convince necromancers with military roles to join you.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 03:53:59 am »

Just going to add a few notes:

Humans are the biggest (size 70000) civ race, so they have a slight advantage in wrestling and close combat.

Dwarves, elves and goblins are the same size (60000), but dwarves are definitely better than any of them, because they have the ability to trance, which gives them noticeable combat bonuses should they trance.

Kobolds are the smallest (size 20000!), and would not fare in combat very well, if you could even recruit one as a companion (you can't, they only speak gibberish.).
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 04:00:48 am »

If you're particularly well known, goblins may threaten you and then turn around and join you, though movement around them is a bitch since they're a sort of semi-hostile.

Hylas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 09:56:58 am »

Wars, immigration and baby snatching tend to mix the races up, especially with older worlds. E.g. goblins snatch a bunch of dwarves and elves, humans conquer goblins, then the conquered goblins and conquered babysnatched dwarves & elves move around the human civ and reproduce.

Goblins are great companions. I love the little green bastards. They get a bonus to strength, endurance and willpower; key attributes for those considering a career in meatshielding. Their only negatives are in intuition, creativity and empathy. Oh no not empathy my god.

But, mostly, I like how their beady little red eyes light up in the dark so you can tell where the hell they've run off to at night/in caves/et cetera.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 09:57:57 am »

Elves can recruit intelligent animal people too and some underground animal people are friendly to all races, although unfortunately their weapons are generally lousy. Snakemen have a fatal bite attack, although they don't use it nearly frequently enough; batmen and cave swallowmen can fly. Queen ant women are some of the largest recruitable intelligent companions (size 200000).

Hylas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 10:24:32 am »

Elves can recruit intelligent animal people too

Above ground wild animal animal people? What is the procedure for this? I've been able to talk to them (hello, elf, I am TRANS_NAME]), but when I ask them to join me it's always 'I would... rather not'.

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 10:31:32 am »

Above ground wild animal animal people? What is the procedure for this? I've been able to talk to them (hello, elf, I am TRANS_NAME]), but when I ask them to join me it's always 'I would... rather not'.

Is that not a fame thing? Do animal-people have civilizations, or do you become famous to them another way? Try doing jobs for them.

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 10:37:08 am »

I have never had success with aboveground animal people. They do not form civs, give jobs, or join worldgen entities. AFAIK there is no method for gaining reputation with a creature that is not part of an entity since they will not accrue enemies and therefore will not have any jobs for you to do. Some of what Toady has said previously suggested that the current form that the animal men of the Untamed Wilds take is just a placeholder, and that they are of a fundamentally different nature than the underground civving animal people.

The underground animal people are proper races in their own right; they have bestial attributes, but they also work with tools, create camps, etc. Whereas I believe the intention with above-ground animal people is that they are a sort of transient projection of a natural vital force that can only arise under certain conditions. Somonce correct me if I am off-base here.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:43:38 am by Niyazov »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 11:50:25 am »

Anyone can recruit animal men from the caverns. Had a human adventurer with an odd mix of goblins, ant people, humans and a dorf shopkeep turned knife fighter.

Surface ones just seem like they'd rather not get mixed up in crap that'd get them killed if they can help it, since they have semi-low numbers.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 12:29:23 pm »

I just modded my own game to make every creature with a vaguely humanoid structure recruitable. Yes, that includes most underground elementmen. I'm working on making the overground creatures recruitable.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 05:49:38 pm »

trancing is overrated.

goblins are usually quite hostile, and usually fight a LOT in worldgen.  assuming that living in a human town has not softened these gobbos much, they generally have higher combat skills and attributes.

perhaps it is just prejudice in my observations, but even in fortress mode, goblins seem to be slightly more effective than dwarves in combat.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 02:17:14 am »

depends on when they attack really. Using  4-5 man trainig squads and no other methods except endless active duty, then they'll usually come with better skills, but if you can make them fight on your terms, you can use numbers where very rarly will thier skills matter.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 04:42:58 pm »

Pages: [1] 2