Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: *What Grinds Your Gears?  (Read 11006 times)

biomatter

• Bay Watcher
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
Re: *What Grinds Your Gears?
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2012, 04:51:37 pm »

You don't know about the Z--> Kitchen menu, do you? If I'm right, tallow does show up there too and can be (de)activated for cooking, as can seeds, plants and everything else cookable.

Actually, I think he does. His point was that if you butcher 15 different animals, you are going to have to go into the kitchen menu to disable each individual TYPE of tallow to prevent them from being cooked. And you have to do this every time a new type of tallow shows up lest it be baked. What he wants, and what I agree is a minor inconvenience, is an option to just disable the cooking of tallow of all types.
Now you will know why you fear the night!

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2012, 05:14:52 pm »

You don't know about the Z--> Kitchen menu, do you? If I'm right, tallow does show up there too and can be (de)activated for cooking, as can seeds, plants and everything else cookable.

Actually, I think he does. His point was that if you butcher 15 different animals, you are going to have to go into the kitchen menu to disable each individual TYPE of tallow to prevent them from being cooked. And you have to do this every time a new type of tallow shows up lest it be baked. What he wants, and what I agree is a minor inconvenience, is an option to just disable the cooking of tallow of all types.

Additionally, you ought to be able to put an "unprocessed fat" stockpile on one side of the kitchen, and a "tallow" stockpile (that then feeds to another tallow stockpile next to your soap workshop) on the other side.  That way you could easily move and store all the intermediate reagents between where they are created and where they are needed.

But the way is at present, they you just have to make do with generic "fat" stockpiles that don't discriminate between different categories of fat.  (Unless you are willing to go through pages and pages of animal type options to micromanage them).

Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2012, 08:43:30 pm »

300 different kinds of leather/bones/fat/etc. to clutter up the unfilterable lists, and they are IDENTICAL for all intents and purposes.

Oh, you want make armor out of leather and bone?  Ha!

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2012, 09:25:58 am »

yes thats extremely annoying .. because of this I stopped making leather bags ..

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2012, 10:48:01 am »

Dwarves who cancel build designations for no assignable cause.  I've been trying t build the same one final tile of wall segment for a year.  I've made sure that there's nothing occupying the space, no hostiles, removed and redesignated, etc.  My masons just don't like that tile.  And they're not telling me why.

nocker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2012, 10:54:07 am »

What grinds my gears is seeing the game caving in to a level of realism/detailing that can only be detrimental for the current reality of processing power (both CPU and player's brain). This is manifest in:
  • Beings having individual fingers and toes (I don't remember if these come topped by nails, but if so, it's another example). I'd love if the level of detailing stopped at hands/feet.
  • Beings having 32 teeth and all the ribs. A generic "teeth" and "ribcage" single parts should suffice, I think.
  • Processed fly/ant brains (but I think this is a legitimate bug)
  • each one of the 200 uninteresting animals become 6 or 7 different kinds of meat products in the meat screen. The result is me doing whatever possible to never enter that screen again.
  • rhesus macaque leather / capuchin monkey leather / fuck-if-I-know-species leather ... : I can understand people wanting this kind of realism for the COOL ITEMS. Like, if your monarch wears a tiger leather cloak, this is COOL. But it's not cool to sort through 200 kinds of uninteresting leather types.

Without wanting to turn this into a suggestion thread, there should be a way to turn these hundreds of specific but uninteresting things into COMMODITIES. Like, if all the cheap ($5) leathers could be processed into "LEATHER", and if all the hundreds of pieces of offal and roadkill that end cluttering the meat screen could be turned into "SPAM" (semi-serious here). And then the trade screen would only have SPAM and LEATHER listed, and no 500 different but equally insignificant choices.

As the game stands now, I can't play without applying some kind of sanity-restoring mod (of which there are several). This is kind of bad.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2012, 11:27:03 am »

As someone who argues both sides of realism/complexity debates, I can say that it doesn't really add much to the game to make every single animal have functionally the same kind of leather and functionally the same kind of meat (they COULD be different, but they obviously aren't), and then tell everyone that you're looking at parrot leather or cat leather.

Unless it actually is a different kind of material, the game should try to merge it all down into being just one kind of leather.  You shouldn't be able to tell dog leather from rabbit leather at a glance, anyway.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2012, 11:37:31 am »

I'd just suggest more hierarchy in general. Tell me that something is kitten leather on the description screen sure, but if I'm just trying to see what a dwarf is wearing, all I want to know is "leather thong" not "Giant Panda leather thong". Likewise at the various stockpile/workshop screens I'm only caring about leather/not-leather. Let me expand into more detail if I must create a specific item, but otherwise just list it's generic type.

I wish the game payed a bit more attention to how players use things, rather than how the game tracks them. It'd make actually playing DF a little easier so I can focus on creating my latest minecart magma railgun project.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2012, 03:45:20 pm »

As someone who argues both sides of realism/complexity debates, I can say that it doesn't really add much to the game to make every single animal have functionally the same kind of leather and functionally the same kind of meat (they COULD be different, but they obviously aren't), and then tell everyone that you're looking at parrot leather or cat leather.

Unless it actually is a different kind of material, the game should try to merge it all down into being just one kind of leather.  You shouldn't be able to tell dog leather from rabbit leather at a glance, anyway.

And I think they SHOULD be different kinds of materials in some cases; i.e. rhino leather vs. cat leather.  Good luck getting leather thick enough from a cat (or layering enough of it) to get something like this.

And perhaps these distinctions wouldn't be all that trivial if provisions are made in the future for dwarves and other people having preferences for this kind of meat in their food than another?

So, yeah, what grinds my gears is similar to what NW_Kohaku is bothered by... I just don't think the solution is for stuff to be merged down if that is what NW_Kohaku was suggesting.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:46:59 pm by Andeerz »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2012, 05:09:25 pm »

Just a note for all of you complaining about cursor memory, but a fair amount of the lists actually have a small amount of cursor memory if you use the up/down options to select it instead of using the hotkey. An example of this is how if you are building a bunch of walls you can move the selecting down to "wall" and then just hit enter instead of 'w'. You have even larger examples in some of the workshops such as the craftsdwarf shop. Of course the lists don't remember where you were if you exit out of the menu completely, but as long as you are building everything at once instead of building one thing and then exiting out of the build menu you can have a fair amount of speed increase.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2012, 12:33:44 pm »

I work at... a large software company in Redmond...
Could you do me a favor?  Find whoever decided that there can only be one instance of Picture and Fax Viewer open at one time, and kick them in the nuts for me.  Thanks!

/having to remember to open multiple folders or programs to compare two \data\art files really grinds my gears

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
  • WERE GOING TO LIVE :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2012, 01:09:50 pm »

DF is a pretty awesome game, but like all games, it has it's share of flaws. Whether it be a bug or otherwise, there are things that just make us want to punch a hole in the computer monitor. So, I ask, my fellow community, "What grinds your gears?".

*The title is a reference to an American television series. If you can tell me what it is, you'll get a cookie. :)
death after becoming a legend (in a retarted way(happens some time or later but will happen to me))
Edit. Oh Jesus Christ, Necro would be proud. The second horse in the caravan came in and immediately caught on fire. I looked into his inventory and found a burning pig tail fiber bag. Curious, I looked inside.
quote above is by yuriruler90

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2012, 02:42:00 pm »

Dwarves who cancel build designations for no assignable cause.  I've been trying t build the same one final tile of wall segment for a year.  I've made sure that there's nothing occupying the space, no hostiles, removed and redesignated, etc.  My masons just don't like that tile.  And they're not telling me why.

Yeah this one.  Had to use dfhack to drop an item on the square, then had the dwarfs carry it away. 

Also chopping trees with wooden training axes bugs me for some reason.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2012, 02:43:55 pm »

Carnivore races needing the noeat and nodrink tags to survive worldgen
No z-level pathing
Invader mounts that flee at the sight of an enemy instead of attacking, bringing the goblin with them.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2012, 04:35:57 pm »

• each one of the 200 uninteresting animals become 6 or 7 different kinds of meat products in the meat screen. The result is me doing whatever possible to never enter that screen again.
    • rhesus macaque leather / capuchin monkey leather / fuck-if-I-know-species leather ... : I can understand people wanting this kind of realism for the COOL ITEMS. Like, if your monarch wears a tiger leather cloak, this is COOL. But it's not cool to sort through 200 kinds of uninteresting leather types.

Without wanting to turn this into a suggestion thread, there should be a way to turn these hundreds of specific but uninteresting things into COMMODITIES. Like, if all the cheap ($5) leathers could be processed into "LEATHER", and if all the hundreds of pieces of offal and roadkill that end cluttering the meat screen could be turned into "SPAM" (semi-serious here). And then the trade screen would only have SPAM and LEATHER listed, and no 500 different but equally insignificant choices.

This, and the difficulty sorting through and selecting items in the various menu, and my biggest gripes.  (And they're linked as well, because the former makes the latter that much worse).

Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.
    Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5