Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: so i have over 40 children and 30 adults  (Read 5423 times)

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
so i have over 40 children and 30 adults
« on: May 06, 2012, 07:27:02 pm »

Armok must hate my soul.. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: so i have over 40 children and 30 adults
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 09:45:04 am »

Nah, he lurves you. Children are the children of Armok.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:57:17 am »

But Armok has lost them. You must bring them back to him by baptizing them in magma, Armok's blood.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 10:13:10 am »

Zealots  :'(

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 10:18:17 am »

Actually, baptizing your dwarves in magma and seeing who survives the "purification" sounds incredibly dwarfy.

One of the things ancient Christians did in trying to evangelize was walk over hot coals to display how, supposedly, their faith in the One True God gave them the strength to do so, while they invited the priests of whatever native faith they were competing with to do the same.  Firewalking is more keeping a calm mind in spite of walking on hot coals, though.  The faster you try to walk, the more your feet dig into the coals, and the more you get burned. 

It was on Mythbusters once.

You'd just need to devise a "baptism" with a reasonable path to survival.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 10:21:35 am »

So, this is an "improved pathing to not die" kind of thing.

How closely is this related to "press X to not die" twitch encounters that pop up in so many other games? lol

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 03:32:17 pm »

Actually, baptizing your dwarves in magma and seeing who survives the "purification" sounds incredibly dwarfy.

I remember being in a disscussion along these lines about trying to find magma safe dwarves for military application.

Also, try using the child cap in future (in the init file).

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 04:28:28 pm »

Well if you keep the children and allow them to grow into adults many will have legendary skills due to strange moods and your ratio of children vs adults.

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 04:36:16 pm »

Dwarfs drenched in magma then immediately submerged in water to put out the fire.  Survivors become the leaders of your civilization or just your fort right now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 05:07:27 pm »

Dwarfs drenched in magma then immediately submerged in water to put out the fire.  Survivors become the leaders of your civilization or just your fort right now.

Only 7/7 will put it out. The same amount that causes drowning.

Not that I don't disagree with the sentiments, just I have a feeling the civ would be leaderless for quite a while.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 08:05:48 pm »

Technically, wouldn't immediately drenching dwarves in magma cause them all to be obsidian-cast?

Only 7/7 will put it out. The same amount that causes drowning.

Not that I don't disagree with the sentiments, just I have a feeling the civ would be leaderless for quite a while.

I thought drowning starts at 4/7. 

Anyway, if you can take away magma fast enough from a tile to prevent death, you can almost certainly also remove water fast enough to prevent drowning. 

Hmm... maybe if it was a grate, and you dropped magma very temporarily down, and then had the dwarf step somewhere closer to an active water pump or two, and let the pump keep the water level high enough to overcome what was lost to the grate and create a deep enough water tile that the dwarf could be extinguished before draining into the grate.

It would also be funny to have a fortress whose leaders were all horribly burned and half-balded.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 04:37:12 pm »

Just have a pump pumping out the square the child is standing on.  Dump 7/7 magma onto the square, baptizing the dwarf.  It will immediately be sucked up by the pump, preventing obsidian casting.  Then dump 7/7 water on him, putting out all the fires.  The water will also immediately be sucked up, preventing drowning.

Or just obsidian cast all of your children, have a legendary mason carve them into statues, pick the baddest-ass one, and make that your leader!

I can't decide which is more dwarfy...
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 05:31:26 pm »

Simple! Dig a huge drawbridge trap where most of the children will go. Make the pit 6 z levels deep. Put the adults in the pit and have them watch as all of the children splat. It should eventually make them not care about anything.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 09:00:59 am »

Magma Showers: The only method of cleaning a dwarven beard.

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 11:14:12 am »

Assign outside bedrooms for children.
Siege early warning system. :P
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.
Pages: [1] 2 3