Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll

What it says on the tin
:v

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Star Trek: Birth of the Federation Let's Play! Finished!  (Read 33253 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Star Trek: Birth of the Federation Let's Play! Finished!
« on: May 06, 2012, 04:46:52 pm »

Space... The final frontier...
These are the voyages of humanity
United under the banner of Federation
To explore strange new worlds
To seek out new life and new civilizations
To boldly go where no man has gone before

Star Trek: Birth of the Federation

Helllo there folks :3 This is my first LP. I hope you will find it enjoyable and who knows, maybe you will dare to challenge the rather non-intuitive interface and unfairness of AI players.

Of course, we're playing as Federation, tech level 2 (four other races have level 1). Mostly because I like both the bonus with dealing with other races + a slight headstart.

But wait, there's more! As I'm fan of large amounts of starships, you can ask to be 'captained' and I will attempt to chronicle your voyages and quite possibly untimely death at the hands of black hole / Calamarain / enemy warship / Borg / whatever lurks around the corner.

Stay tuned for first post :3

Contents' List:
Chapter 1: Humanity reaches the Stars.
Chapter 2: Dilithium found!
Chapter 3: The Birth of Federation at it's finest.
Chapter 4: Of Aliens and calmari Calamarain.
Chapter 5: Skirmishes with Romulans.
Chapter 6: Birth of (proper) Starfleet.
Chapter 7: Into Romulan Space!
Chapter 8: The Borg appear.
Chapter 9: The Federation-Borg War.
Chapter 10: Border Conquests.
Chapter 11: Friends Unto Enemies.
Chapter 12: Beginning of the End for Romulan Star Empire.
Chapter 13: Screwing up the Ferengi (with spies and bribes).
Chapter 14: The End of Romulan Star Empire.
Chapter 15: Fall of Ferengi Alliance and Victory of United Federation of Planets!

Spoiler: Captain's Roster (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Oh right, the ships I will be using will be:
Science Vessels (Oberth class). I'm always keeping around one or two for scouting.
Destroyers (Constellation and Defiant class). Defiants, of course, will be very late in the game. Their intrusion-reacting capabilities are just wonderful. And Defiants are powerhouses when in groups.
Cruisers (Ambassador and Galaxy-X class). The second class will be intermixed with Ambassadors later in the game as they're good ships anyway when performing in a group. They are used for siegeing and border systems guarding.
Command Cruisers (Galaxy and Sovereign class). Very late in the game - I mainly use them for heavy siegeing/planetary bombardment.
As you can see, no Nebula class planetary strike starships. I'v never seen the point to make them - Cruisers and Commands can easily do the bombarding task as well. No Mirandas too. Sorry Mirandas, but you're dying by tens and you're just terrible at everything.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 06:03:54 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek: Birth of the Federation Let's Play! (image heavy?)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 05:22:36 pm »

With the comission of colony ship USS Booth and science vessel USS Andromede, the Humanity is at last able to reach for the stars.

Let's check the navigation charts first.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, bottom of the map gives us one side protected from enemies. And those two stars look promising - let's hope there's juicy, large M-type world on one of them. Or maybe both :3

And here we have research management window. Propulsion is always neat (faster ships with better reach), and faster weapon research for Federation is a must. They don't get any structures boosting it and minor race that adds to the research (Chalnoth) rarely has good standing with us. With Federation's Genesis Lab and Daystrom Institute, Biology and Computer research is easy to go.

USS Booth was sent to the system on the right, and USS Andromede, to the left. The system on the right is Khitomer - has space for around 200 million colonists with two large arctic worlds, and tiny barren and volcanic planet. And the other one...

Bingo! Arctic and barren will provide cheap energy generators later, and oceanic and terran worlds much place to thrive and grow food. Barkon will be the second most important system, at least for now.

Oh that's just sweet. Vendikar system has very large Earth-like planet, and those two barren worlds boost max population to somewhere around 200. USS Andromede is on a roll of good news.
Meanwhile on Earth, additional replicators are built and then, we will being building additional Science vessel, few colony ships and transport to make outpost at Sol and nearby systems.

USS Andromede was afterwards send to the westernmost reach of our local space...

First Contact!
I just wish it was someone valuable or friendly at least. Antedeans are neither. And they have crappy bonus building too (+100% food production at their home system, I think).

Meanwhile in Barkon, USS Booth is terraforming ocean planet and will soon colonize the system as the first addition to Federation territory!
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 05:52:31 pm »

Sol System just got two new ships, Martynov (scout) and Cunningham (colony). They will be sent to the right, for exploration and colonization purposes obviously. The terran shipyards have additional orders for colony ships. Vendikar must be ours.

Moar explorations. Volon system has large ocean and volcanic worlds. Dorvan has several small-medium planets which are nice in their own way. And Peliar Zel is... well. We won't be colonizing that one. Three tiny planets aren't worth it.
What is more troubling, though, is lack of dilithium-rich stars in close vicinity, which my hinder our starfleet building in a long run.

More exploring. Sarthong, Hoek and Durenia (not shown here) are systems capable of having around 150 million colonists. Might be nice to colonize them later. Still, their stars have no dilithium...
Colony ships are terraforming Khitomer and Barkon, and transport is sent to establish an outpost near Vendikar so our colony ships can reach it. Nothing interesting going on.

Few turns later, terraforming at Barkon is finished and colonists settle down. Woo! First Federation colony, sound so lovely. The exploration reports aren't that good, though...

Midos, Orellius and Tassen are good targets for colonization (max pop 200 and more), but Tarsas as you see is crap. Still zero Dilithium-rich stars. Outpost near Vendikar has been built and the Oberth-class ships' reach expanded. Andromede and Martynov are sent as a pair to that red giant in the corner. Let's hope for a good minor race now, or at least large system with dilithium present...

And that's it for today. Time to get some sleep.
SigFlags!

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 06:39:46 pm »

I must admit it's interesting to see a different take on a BOTF LP. Posting to watch. Is this game modded in any way?

Also I find it amusing you say the AI is unfair when we're starting a whole tech level above them. :P

Captain me a Constellation class ship (or fleet :D) when you have one/some.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 06:49:19 pm »

I play the game for a month or so, maybe. Still gotta to work on the experience and skills. If I would start along the other races, I would be destroyed within 200 or so turns. 2nd tech level is obtainable very quickly, anyways. It's not much of unfairness :P

The game is not modded. Actually never really heard of BOTF mods.
SigFlags!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 05:56:45 am »

Up until turn 24, it was unevenful game of terraforming. No first contacts either.
And then, Martynov and Andromede surveyed first of newly accessible systems.

Oh game, why you torment me with such lovely worlds so early in the game and so far from my mainland?

There's some kind of alien vessel on the sensor scans. It its beyond our reach for now. If they stay still it's propably a minor race (Talarians, Vulcans, Yridians, Bajorans, someone else can make ships I believe). If it's moving, it's other's empire scout.

I will let our scouts proceed to the next visible star in their reach while monitoring the blip on the sensor...

The star proved to be less than interesting. Two worlds with max of 150 million population I believe, and lack of dilithium. Bordered by black hole.
I'm however worried about the briefly spotted ship and it's proximity to Gamma Hydra, so Andromede and Martynov were tasked to visit the system again before we move 'north', as the outpost near the cluster of four stars is almost complete.

In the meanwhile, Khitomer is colonized and settlement of humans on Vendikar happens the very next turn. No sight of the strange starship in Gamma Hydra nor anywhere nearby. Well, maybe they had to go back or didn't reach it or something.

Outpost is being constructed at Pelar Zel so we can reach further toward Gamma Hydra and toward the propable 'start-point' of the unknown vessel. Tassen and Orellius are terraformed at the moment (Tassen visible on the bottom panel).
To better maintain our scouting abilities, Andromede and Martynov have been separated and each will be going in opposite direction. As you can see, plenty of stars just near our borders.

Andromede brings wonderful news - they've contacted Betazoids! They aren't that far too! They give 50% bonus to Internal Security, which will be crucial when we start getting spy-spammed by Romulans and Cardassians (and Ferengi).

With outpost constructed at Pelar Zel, Martynov was able to reach the next closer star. Exo system is pretty nice by the looks BUT IT LACKS DILITHIUM. All the stars I visited so far don't have dilithium! This is so ridiculous I cannot even comprehend.
I almost forgot - it appears that our unknown spaceship is near. Time for direct intercept course!

Oh and in meanwhile, Andromede visits this juicy system. Again, no Dilithium, but our current estimates show that it is capable of holding up to 345 millions of people, which brings it just 10m below Sol's maximum population. A good target for colonization.

That's why I love Betazoids. They throw themselves into Federation's embrace pretty much every time I meet them. Of course I will accept the offer immediately.
Below the diplomatic message is picture of Angosians and description of them - rather pacifist and friendly civilization with dark secrets, they're located in the star system where the unknown vessel was spotted last turn... and said ship has dissappeared completely from local star charts. What is this trickery I say? The Angosians were contacted by that vessel prior to our arrival:

First contact with Klingon Empire is imminent, it appears - if I manage to find their scoutship at last.
SigFlags!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 01:19:28 pm »

Zakdorn. They give experience bonuses to every ship built at their homeworld, and additional bonus when crew is trained there. Worthy potential ally, but I'm slightly worried about they starting standing toward Federation. Feels like someone got to them before me.
Also if you look down and then to the right, you can see that the 'propably Klingon' scout is back at Agnosia just as Martynov left the system.

Angosian homeworld can sustain around 300 million people when it will be fully developed, so I will gladly begin the process of assimilating them into introducing them to Federation. Plus another trade route won't hurt.

Max possible for Zakdorn: 295 million people. Another reason to get our hands on it.

The same turn in which Betazoids accept our affiliation treaty, USS Martynov meets Klingon Bird-of-Prey, and first contact is established. USS Andromede is warping around Betazed and Zakdorn, visiting unexplored stars.

Few boring turns happened and then, we find this. 270 max population. Energy won't be a problem with barren, arctic and volcanic world. Potential place for Daystrom Institute. That's question for the future, though.

And then we have this big guys near Betazed. Their building gives +50% weapons research and also THEY HAVE DILITHIUM IN THEIR STAR OH YES. It is first time I totally want Chalnoth as soon as possible in my federation. Gotta make sure Klingons won't get them first!

First breakthrough in research during my reign. I'm totally not surprised that it is Energy. As far as I recall, Energy developments have lowest research points requirement in the game (followed by Biology I think).

The same turn, Andromede finds this system. Almost 300 mill possible citizens places it high on the colonization priorities list, and it's just one warp away from Betazed.

A string of good news this time. Let's hope next part will be as successful.
SigFlags!

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 01:34:16 pm »

I'm a little confused by what the local area looks like. Your posting seems to follow the order in which your ships enact tasks, but with several scout ships scattered around the galaxy it's very difficult to piece together the geography of your game.

Would you mind posting some shots of just the map so we can see where everything is?
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 03:14:24 pm »

There you go, galaxy map. Sol is the selected system, at the bottom of the map.

PS: With some effort, I managed to cut four small maps into one. So proud~

PPS: I only now noticed that there are three different Gamma systems in the neighbourhood, heh.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 03:16:20 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 03:22:45 pm »

That's much better, thank you.

I see what you're doing now, and it's a very different style than I'm used to playing. Let me guess, you're letting your research move along equally in each area? That would explain why you had time to build so many troop transports and colony ships. You haven't had any buildings to upgrade yet so you dedicated everything to your fleets. That's the way the AI plays it. It's nice for rapid expansion, as you've seen. Unfortunately upgrading is going to be a bitch when all your techs finish at the same time.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 03:31:42 pm »

Eeeeexactly :3

Actually I only quick-upgrade most important systems ;o The rest get their queues constantly changed and adapted to what happens. Of course I prefer buying the upgrades than dropping them, especially with replicators/farms.

That's also why I seek out 200+ systems, with 300+ being ideal. More replicators = faster upgrading of buildings. And more replicators coupled with trade centers means more money, which I often use to finish upgrades/buy ships in time of crisis (like sudden backstab attack of the Romulans, or Ferengi zerg rush. I despite both).

Also, rapid expansion means more first contacts. As I play on 'few minor races' setting, it is crucial to scoop as many as possible :3
SigFlags!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 07:56:02 am »

Turn 50 welcomes us with another first contact.

It's only a second time in my gaming experience when I've met Acamarians. I know they build starships but I've never seen their special building. USS Andromede is on a visit of courtesy at their star system, and negotiations for friendship treaty started.

Few more turn pass with more terraforming and trying to get friendships going on with newly met races.

And then a disaster strikes.

Right in our home system, a deadly strain of flu, no doubt accidentally carried from one of alien systems, strikes the population and sends more than 1/6th of Humans into grave. This is tragedy beyond words, especially that the Federation is still in it's crib.
Several weeks of mourning have been announced as our economy and productivity tries to stand up.

Possibly softened by the news of our tragedy, the Acamarians accepted our friendship without any demands and opened their trading posts for us. As their home system is larger than Betazed, we're suspending trade with Betazoids (just for a moment) and redirect the merchant ships toward Acamaria.

Few more turns where nothing at all happens. I hate the early stages of the game. No wars, no multiple systems to maintain, no super things happening. You just blankly stare as your colony ships terraform few planets in a slow and ineffective way.

Le sigh.

But then, with small show of persuasion, Acamarians soon became our affiliates. Well, that was certainly an easy one. And Zakdorn accepted our friendship as well--

Wait, do Acamarians have a shipyard?

Oh yes.

Oh so much yes.

I love Acamarians from now on. Their system is almost perfectly in the middle of our local galaxy. USS Martynov and USS Andromede were instructed to visit the newly available sectors ASAP and scout them for new possible contacts and valuable star systems (and inevitably, new empires and monstrosities)!

Who knows what awaits us there~
SigFlags!

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 08:30:06 am »

Hit me up as a captain of something cool, I want to go star trekking across the universe.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 08:47:58 am by hostergaard »
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 08:18:16 am »

Just as the system Volon is colonized, our scientists manage to improve our warp drives. Lvl 3 Propulsion increases the 'green range' by 1.

Two turns later and another breakthrough. There's a bunch of ocean planets at our colonies so the Aquaculture centers will be very useful.
Also during this turn, I send non-aggression pact to Klingons, affiliation treaty to Zakdorn and membership proposals to Angosians, Betazoids and Acamarians. We will see how it will go.

Suddenly USS Martynov bumps onto Klingon scout, a Bird-of-Prety warship. Per our tradition, we shall ask first, and fire in self-defence.
IKS Hemlom was thus hailed. We received no reply other than the sound of warp drives taking the Klingon scout out of the system.

One turn later, we receive words from our ambassadors. Everytone rejected our treaties - except Betazoids. They are first non-human members of Federation, and we welcomed them with open arms. Let's check their system now.

Oh, neat! They have many Type-2 buildings. Most of them were scrapped, and queue of building orders was set in there. Betazed didn't had a shipyard at start, so we have to build it on our own. The whole system however is fine addition to our society. We can now open another trade route and with Betazoid halls of learning our research will go even faster.

We've been contacted by Romulans out of nowhere. Fine, I say, but I don't recall meeting any ships or planets...

Cloaked warships anyone? That gives me chills down my spine.
While Martynov will carefully entering Romulan border, Andromede checks the other side of Acamarian border and finds few unremarkable systems devoid of any bountiful planets or dilithium-rich stars. Oh, well.
The moment we enter Romulan space, we have been hailed by Romulan colony ship. We performed sensor sweep when the captains were talking...

I can give wild guess that the system on the left is Romulus. They are clearly preparing to expand toward Acamar and Betazed. We have to build defense perimeter around our affiliates before Romulans will decide to use force instead of just words.
Martynov has been tasked in diving deeper into Romulan territory to check on our potential enemies.

Agnosians joined the Federation! Of course we have to check their system for goods.

...wat.
Apparently the Angosians were capable of surviving only on air before they joined the Federation and suddenly they are now dying by millions. I cannot comprehend. I have to build farms, but thanks to the ton of Type-3 foundries, stabilization of Angosian system will be quick. We also have to build an outpost there because Klingons already colonized Exo system.

Martynov in meanwhile reported finding a Romulan system called 'Borka' and sensor readings indicate more troop transports and colony ships in local region. Our scout has been ordered to leave the Romulan space in case there are armed ships waiting under cloak.

One turn later, our scientists develop Molecular Data Imaging. It brings two useful buildings - the first one helps protect your minor races from being bribed from you, and second increases credit income on the system by 50%.

Klingons just now noticed that Angosia is a Federation system and demand tribute. Tribute for what? We shall ignore it for now, but reinforcing Agnosia is our priority task now. That will be done the next time.

//It's first time when I made more images than I played turns (13 images, 8 turns). It was quite interesting bunch, though - we got first Federation members, with some weird stuff happening, and Romulans somehow were kind enough to let us poke around their space.
SigFlags!

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 08:37:58 am »

Haha about the Angosians. Remember on my thread where I said minor races have research buildings 40% of the time? Well, I would estimate that the system is boring, but developed only 50% of the time.

What I didn't mention was that they scrap all their farms as a welcoming gift the remaining 10% of the time.

Have fun!

Also, be careful about sending minor races treaties too often. If you bother them too much with unwanted offers they'll start to dislike you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9