Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: A Pirate's World ARRRRRRTD! [TURN 4]  (Read 9518 times)

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
A Pirate's World ARRRRRRTD! [TURN 4]
« on: May 06, 2012, 04:21:29 pm »

Arrrrrr, me hearties! Welcome to A Pirate ARRRRRRRTD! Shiver me timbers and batton down the hatches! ...You want me to stop with the Pirate accent? Fiiiiiiine. In this game you play as a bunch of pirates. Your goal is to plunder the high seas and maybe get some sweet loot as well. You must work together to keep your ship afloat, taking quests and making profits along the way. Oh, and there may be explosions.

...You want backstory? Fine.

It's the 1700s in the fantasy universe and all of the races have decided to work reasonably well together to make massive cities across several continents. While most races are present in any city, the population tends to be skewered towards one race-the leader of the city tends to be of said race. Most of the cities rely heavily on naval trade to keep their supplies up, but where there's trade, there's piracy.

Well, not yet. There are a few odd pirates, but only one or two are known, and they tend to be the nes in the week's newspaper. Although you don't know it yet, it's your turn to take to the oceanic stage...

Everything in this game is resolved by the standard d6±modifier. However, to reduce GM strain, you need to look after your own stats. and such. I'll give you all the info you need, but make sure to post it with your actions please.

And with that, your sign-up sheet!

Name: (Be inventive. But not sttupid.)
Race: (You MAY get bonuses and/or penalties for your race. Be sensible though.)
Gender: (No bonus points for filling this bit in-do it anyway, though.)
Skills: (Leave blank, you'll need it later.)
Inventory: 5 Gold
Bio: (And now describe your character to me. Because this isn't FCFS, this will increase your odds of getting in.)

I need 6 will-be pirates, so... yeah. Fill dat sheet.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 04:01:47 pm by ExKirby »
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Pirate's World ARRRRRRTD! [Not first come first serve]
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 04:26:07 pm »

This is a character. It is made of writing and expectations.
Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 07:25:43 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 04:41:48 pm »

Awwwright. Let's do this!

Name: Axl "Rosered" Gear
Race: Goblin
Skills: <quantum uncertainity>
Inventory: 5 gold
Bio: There are a few things that Axl has learned throughout his life - but the most important one being that everyone hates goblins. Even the goblins themselves. Born into a family somewhere at the bottom of society, from the day of his birth he struggled to survive. Small and scrawny even for a goblin, he had to compensate for his lack of strength with agility, cleverness and utter disregard for any sort of honor. When he was old enough to fend for himself somewhat, he left the dump that he called his hometown, hoping to never see it again... and got kidnapped by slavers almost instantly, getting shipped to a faraway country for his troubles. He was then sold to a crazy alchemist, becoming a silent (for fear of death) slave-assistant, watching and learning. This arrangement lasted until the alchemist's head met a pitchfork. In the following chaos, Axl escaped with the valuables that were left, a few handy (but unrefined) skills from years of watching and possibly a case of mild insanity from the noxious fumes. Life hasn't exactly been kind to him since then as well, as an independant traveler, scroundrel and generally untrustworthy person, but that could always change, right?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 04:43:48 pm by Errol »
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 04:46:10 pm »

sure ill try it

quick question tho.. would you accept a runaway butler named Jeeves turned thief/pickpocket as an acceptable character?

Dear sir,
In response to the bulletin you posted asking for anyone interested in joining a less than noble party of scoundrels, i would like to put forth an application for candidacy, Before doing so however i would like to enquire as to the whether or not i would meet the basic requirements for joining your motley band of scoundrels due to the fact that i am currently wanted for the pilfering of goods from my previous employer before earning my living by picking pockets and sneaking onto the docks to steal cargo from the gem merchants and spice traders.
yours truly, Jeeves

p.s. I may have stolen from my employer when i was a butler but that does not mean i am in any way crazy enough to steal from anyone i share a ship with.

Edit 1: Attempt to placate the gods of grammar.
Edit 2: Got bored of waiting for a response so im posting Jeeves anyway.

Character sheet:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 06:44:54 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 04:53:45 pm »

I'm sorry, my grammar nazi senses kicked in. Can you rewrite that with grammar, please?
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 05:02:08 pm »

Name: Micyn Fizzlesbit
Race: Gnome
Skills:
Bio: Green eyed and average sized for a gnome, that being pretty damn tiny. His hair's black and short, but not too short for a few haphazardly placed ties. This goes along with his scruffy beard and tattered clothes, which give the distinct impression that he is not what would best be described as a model citizen. Such assumptions would be quite correct, as Micyn is a member of a local thieve's guild, usually acting as a planner of high-profile heists and making use of the needlessly complicated and highly unreliable mechanisms he creates in his spare time.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 06:20:13 pm »

hmm i might want to consider parts of my character sheet before we start, is there any chance you would consider putting the racial stats and bonuses in a spoiler in the main post to aid me and any newcomers in constructing their character in accordance to the role they wish it to play?

for example this would include dexterity modifiers, base hp and bonus/starting skills (such as gnomes getting a bonus to crafting and/or device usage rolls as im sure Sinpwn will enjoy.)
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 08:40:59 pm »

I'm in, and will construct a post when I have time. Hope you like cat-girls.

Name: Magnifique Occulta Fantasma
Race: Felisimo (Cat-people, sort of like Khajitt from Skyrim, or Taokaka. Closer to 'humanoid' varation rather than 'human girl with cat ears and tail' kind.)
Skills: (Leave blank, you'll need it later.)
Appearance: The outer limbs of Magnifique are covered in auburn-orange colored fur. Her inner body is mostly white, except for a patch of auburn-orange fur on her chest and some on her neck that spreads up to both of her cheeks. Two ears poke out on the sides of her head. She has retractable claws on her hands and feet. Magnifique has contrasting black whiskers next to a pink mouth and nose. She is actually tall and lanky for her species, which is rare since Felisimo are meant for agility and stealth.
She wears a tan cloak with a hoodie. (And plain underclothes, if discretion is an issue in a current scenario.)
Bio:

The Felisimo were a species that emerged from a deep jungle. Who they were birthed from is only up to speculation, but they just showed up one day as a group. As they populated, the Felisimo eventually went out of the forest and joined civilization. And that's how it went for thousands of years.

Then one day we get Magnifique. She was the daughter of a Felisimo mother and half-Felisimo father. (Felisimo is a dominant gene, so her human side doesn't show as much, but it does explain her rather large size.) Her family, a sister and three brothers, lived a artisan-class life in a trading port called Olsvey. It was there she met a human boy named Forde, who was agile enough to jump from building rooftop to rooftop and run through fields with Magnifique. During her teenage years, Magnifique's relationship with Forde had become a courtship. They had dates, ate out together, look at the stars, and had plans for marriage.

Then the Pirate Captain 'Archbay' invaded Olsvey.

Archbay and his large crew stormed the town, and their heavy firepower along with brutal tactics overpowered the town militia. At this point, Magnifique and her family were already on a wagon out of town. However, Archbay and his crew chased after the fleeing townspeople on horseback. Mangnifique's family was hit by a grenade, and she and one of her brothers fell out of it. Her brother was killed instantly, and Magnifique never learned of her family's fate, having been knocked unconscious by the explosion. Archbay kidnapped her and turned her into his 'personal wench' on the ship, forcing her to do all sorts of tasks and 'favors' for him against his will. She tried to escape, and was brutally punished after several attempts.

One day, it was discovered that Magnifique was pregnant with Archybay's child. As a result, he treated her less harshly. Magnifique saw this as an opportunity. One day, when they were docked, Magnifique acted as if she was going into labor. When some his henchmen and Archbay took her to a room, she produced hidden weapons and killed or brutally injured all of them, except for Archbay who escaped the onslaught. As she ran away, Archbay caught her and threatened to decapitate her with a scimitar. She faked helplessness, and then with her last hidden pistol, crippled him by shooting him in the groin. After this she successfully escaped.

What followed were the worst times of Magnifique's life. She was destitute and pregnant, becoming a beggar just to barely sustain herself. The only thing that kept her going was the thought of giving her child a chance at a happier fate than her own. One day in the winter, she gave birth.

It was a still birth.

Having lost her child, and bleeding out in the cold winter, it seemed like a perfect time for Magnifique to die. By a stroke of luck, a group of nuns found her laid out on the snow. They took her back to their convent, where she was treated back to health by them. The nuns were the first ones who she told her story to, and they reassured her that this was just a test by God.
~In progress~
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:03:05 am by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 09:03:38 pm »

is there spots left?

if so RESERVE.

Oh, not fcfs.

E: Well, I'm not good at writing bios, so I don't think I'll be able to join. xD
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:10:21 pm by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 09:40:57 pm »

you can and you will dammit  >:(

just post a crummy char like i did and cross your fingers that you are part of the only 6 that have joined by the time kirby starts :P

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 10:20:40 pm »

D:

Too late, I think?
Oh wait, saw the FCFS thing.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 05:39:36 am by Tiruin »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 12:06:20 am »

Oooh, fantasy pirates! Hm, Errol Flynn or Clooney the Scourge...

Name: Damien Wavestrider
Race: Human
Skills:
Bio: Damien is a tall, sun-bronzed man with long dark hair tied back with colorful rags. Not content to cast nets like his father and brothers, Damien left his coastal village when he was fourteen years old, hidden among the kegs of ale of a dwarf merchant. After pleading his case, the merchant agreed to take him on as a cabin boy, running errands and learning the life of a sailor.

From that time on, Damien never spent more than three nights running on dry land. He's signed on with crews of all kinds- solid dwarven merchants, inquisitive elven explorers, tricksy gnome smugglers, even the odd goblin or orc mercenary. From each he learned a little something of the seaman's art, dabbling in swordplay, archery, navigation, carpentry, and of course all the day to day essentials of keeping a ship afloat! He never stayed with any crew or captain for too long, however, often changing ships on a whim.

Damien doesn't sail for the money, nor for the fame (not that he argues with either when they come his way!) but for the adventure- to see new sights, walk deserted, enchanted islands, talk with strange people from stranger lands, and encounter terrible sea monsters- things of story and song, far away from home and hearth. He hopes to find crewmates willing to brave these perils, for the life of a sailor is necessarily a shared one- there isn't a boat afloat that could be piloted by one man, even one so talented as Damien Wavestrider!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 05:41:08 am »

E: Well, I'm not good at writing bios, so I don't think I'll be able to join. xD
Give it a chance, Sky! Don't give up even before you did it. D:

you can and you will dammit  >:(

just post a crummy char like i did and cross your fingers that you are part of the only 6 that have joined by the time kirby starts :P
NOT crummy.

What level of tech do we all have?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 06:59:40 am »

Why not...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A bit too serious for this kind of game, but meh.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 07:55:30 pm »

Sheet finally survived the editing hell from me and it is ready to roll.

Also, bump for the people who haven't yet posted their sheets, the GM is probably starting tomorrow.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6