Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GalGen Trader 2  (Read 1945 times)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
GalGen Trader 2
« on: May 05, 2012, 10:15:38 pm »

Remember GalGen Trader? No? Huh. Well, it's got a zequel now. Or maybe a reboot. Something like that.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/galgentrader2/

It's a 2D space-trading game, ala Elite or Transcendence, which will eventually feature a fully mutable, highly dynamic, player-influenced galaxy for the player to explore. Right now, though, it's little more than a program that splashes some dots on the screen in a very roundabout way, which leads me to the next topic:

Is anyone interested in helping with its development? It's written in Python 3.2.2 (which means you'll need an interpreter to run it, by the way), and I wouldn't mind having a few extra brains working on the project. I'd prefer people who are decent at python; I have a hard enough time figuring out other people's code when it's written well.

If you are, check out (no pun intended) the 2.1 SVN on Sourceforge and take a look. Post in the thread and if I think you'll be a valuable asset, and I don't have too many helpers already, I'll add you to the project.

EDIT:

Screenshot of 2.1:

Not much to look at there.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 12:23:01 am by Schilcote »
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
Re: GalGen Trader 2
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 12:48:46 pm »

This looks cool! I'll play with it this week.

Much as I'd love to help with development, my Python skills are not that strong. Decorators still confuse me, for example. That, and I haven't really messed with PyGame, or built anything larger than a series of basic utilities. Hopefully one of our resident Bay 12 programming geniuses (we seem to have dozens) will help out!

Varjo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 12:55:48 pm »

Just a tip. If you do anything, be proud what you do and show it. Do not say its poorly written. We have tons of games around why we should check any poorly written game? Think about it. Head up.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 01:21:09 pm »

This looks cool! I'll play with it this week.

Well, it's not much to play with at the moment, but thanks. :P

You may want to download it again, I just updated the main download to 2.1 since I replicated most of 2.0's important features.

EDIT:

Also, coding isn't the only way you can help with development. A good artist would help bunches too. And even if you're not great at Python, you can still write a few adventure scripts (though 2.1 has no adventure system yet).
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 07:27:26 am »

Soo... did you download it? It's not much to look at yet, is it? :(

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 07:44:06 am »

I can learn python. I need to learn it for next year anyways.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 10:22:20 am »

I can learn python. I need to learn it for next year anyways.

Well, look up some tutorials, then download TorotiseSVN and check out the source repository, see if it makes any sense. I might be able to teach you a little bit too.