Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: On Rubble: Treading on Unstable Ground...  (Read 53591 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: On Rubble: Treading on Unstable Ground...
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2012, 02:08:15 pm »

I think this is your most reasonable argument for adding rubble to the game, but it'd require a bit of balancing. As it is now, it is fairly easy when starting out to just dig a 1-tile tunnel into a mountain, stick a wall there once you're all inside, and never have to worry about anything until a building destroyer shows up. I agree that rubble could help making things harder starting out, which is good, but if it made it impossible to create a large fortress within a year or two, it might not be worth it. Think of the bedrooms/halls for 40-80 dwarves, stockpile storage for food, workshops, workshop storage, barracks, training rooms, etc. Those are all basic things which still require space. Another thing is that it looks like as if most of your argument for rubble could just be replaced by making mining take longer.

You say:
The reason why we need rubble is, counter to your expectations, it should reduce the number of junk items being generated because it slows down the pace of excavation considerably, as each time you mine a set amount of stone, you have to deal with the excess material generated.  By the time that you are mining again, that rubble should be dealt with and out of memory in some manner or another.

If rubble can't be used, how is it nothing more than junk? You would be creating the same amount of junk, but it would have the name of "granite rubble" instead of "granite stone", and possibly be even more worthless (assuming that you can't do anything with it).

I'm sure that rubble would add complexity to the game (sometimes a good thing by itself), but would it add a corresponding amount of depth? I would be in favor of it if you had specific ideas for what it would add. As the idea seems now, what new things does rubble add to the game besides slowing down mining? Can we do stuff with it? If it has !!SCIENTIFIC!! applications, like being ballast for trebuchets (as of yet unadded :P) or being able to be combined into cement for pillars for supports with new cave-in mechanics, I'm all for it. If it is just for adding more things for us to dump while slowing things down, why not just decrease mining speed via the skill, instead of adding something that has no use at all?

Wyatt Cheng had a good blog post about the sort of thing I'm trying to convey here on his blog. Sorry for any misinterpretations of your posts or points I don't explain clearly.

I think you are coming close, but misunderstanding a little.

To start from the bottom up, that blog post has a decent point, and one that is very applicable to DF in general.

It is not applicable here, however.

Adding rubble to the game (and specifically only rubble) adds one aspect of complexity to the game - that there is rubble that needs to be cleared before mining can continue.  That isn't a terribly complex issue for most people to wrap their heads around. 

The only things rubble actually do to change how a player plays is to functionally add a small punishment (a delay) on trying to expand their fortress length-wise.  It does less to punish width-wise expansion of the fortress.  It gives players the opportunity to build more complex cart tracks if they choose, but wheelbarrows are sufficient, and I would expect most players to just have cart stops that expand only very infrequently, while wheelbarrowing their rubble to the nearest cart stop to be shipped to an automated dumping.

For a slight amount of complexity (simply learning that you need to dump a rubble item), you get a fair degree of depth to the game - you get the same "speedbump" that I was talking about to Slink before. 

As I was saying then, in the 2d version of the game, which was much more game and less simulation, the underground river (and the magma and pits as well) provided a speedbump in progress - the enemies it spawned and periodic heightened difficulty, and crossing took time and effort, and they most importantly just stopped progress until you could confront them.  At the same time, the game progressed in materials - copper was in the shallow pre-river areas, but offered little proteciton, while iron was deeper, and more useful, but took higher risks and further development to obtain. 

That gave the game a more clear sense of progression without being terribly complex - you were progressing into a "harder stage" when you cleared each roadblock on your way into the mountain. 

Rubble serves the gameplay purpose of just being a roadblock to slow your game down.  It doesn't add snakemen or fire imps, but it does at least let other aspects of gameplay, like early ambushes and sieges and harsh environments and a possible scarcity of stone actually add more to the game than they currently do.  If it slows down the rate at which the player can discover or explore every ore vein, map every cavern, and exploit every resource, it adds depth to the game by making the player figure out how to make do with what they have at the time rather than assuming they will always have unlimited resources.

And it happens to be realistic, as well, and that adds to the depth of the verisimilitude of the game.

As for sleeping, you get part of what I meant, but not the other part. 

You see, the reason I was talking about sleeping was because sleeping doesn't actually give the player anything, it's a problem for players to solve.  It's a speedbump to building a fortress, as well, as it requires you build a system of bedrooms for your dwarves and it takes up valuable wood resources to make those beds.  It is also an opportunity for players to be creative in their bedroom designs, as making fractal or other decorative bedroom patterns are one of the favorite ways to customize a fortress.

The miscommunication occurs where you aren't seeing the parallels between these two systems. 

Rubble slows the digging down without adding significant complications to the game by simply making a miner have to wait for a hauler to take rubble away before mining can continue.  Rubble does not take up valuable resources, but it slows the rate at which resources can be gained down, and that has a massive effect on the depth of the game, as exploring for and finding metal ore deposits becomes much more tricky and less likely to be assumed that you will have found huge hematite veins that are just waiting to be mined out as soon as you are done with the last giant hematite vein you depleted.  That forces more conservancy of resources as you are unsure of when your next metal supply will come in.

It also offers you a choice - the more haulers you have working, the more quickly you will mine, as your haulers are the key to opening the bottleneck.  The more labor you devote to hauling, however, the less labor you have free for other uses.  Is mining to expand now more important than building mechanisms for traps or putting up a better wall to keep out invaders?

It also gives meaning to the new carts system we have, by giving you plenty of reason to want to try making a labor-saving highly sophisticated cart path for hauling your goods around without taking up dwarf labor in actually hauling your goods around.  It allows the game to reward players who are clever and creative in their use of the game's tools by making their other strategic choices easier.

This is also a core element of some of my other suggestions, including the farming ones - where it is easy to set up a basic farm, and possibly just trade for further goods like wood or cloth or more food, but advanced farming will give you extra resources that can be used to make up for shortfalls in other areas of the game.  Hence, it lets players specialize in the mechanics they enjoy, while others can simply go without the benefits of specialization in one area and try to make it up by specializing in another. 

Hence, I compare rubble to sleep - they aren't terribly complex in and of themselves, but the changes they cause to the rest of the extant systems in the game give them a great deal of depth.

This is why I say that we don't need a "use" for rubble in just the same way we don't need a "use" for sleeping - it's a problem to be solved, not a resource or a benefit.  The problem itself is the use it brings to the game.  If there are uses for rubble, that's a side matter, but rubble does not need to have some sort of benefit to the player to give its existence meaning, in just the same way having dwarves take sleeping breaks certainly doesn't give the player any real benefits, and gives them obvious drawbacks.

Or, in other words, "Not being anything more than junk" is exactly a goal state of this idea.

Further, you don't "build walls" with rubble - the idea is that Toady's "amalgam" code would take care of that.  The amalgam idea was to prevent quantum stockpiles by simply deleting items that hit a critical mass of density in a tile and cause the entire tile to become a wall of junk.  When mined, you get nothing but junk back, and that means you don't have to store the items that went into the quantum dump in memory anymore, and let the sorely abused STL vectors contract again, which results in FPS recovery. 

All a player has to do is let rubble be dumped in a large pit, and eventually, that pit will fill on its own without much player activity.

Dumping could occur off-map, dumping could just have an "anthill" effect of building a giant mound of rubble in an out-of-the-way part of the map, or dumping could occur in some more exploiting manner, such as just dumping everything into a volcano or the magma sea or atom-smashing everything so that it doesn't take up any volume anymore at all. 

Ultimately, though, unless you face a problem of having a landfill that is getting landfilled to capacity, all you need is to designate where you're dumping the excess, and letting the haulers do their thing.  It's entirely simple and automated.

Incidentally, and to the rest of the people reading (mostly Slink, though, since she was who I was talking about arguing with), the benefit of arguing these things is that the more you argue a point like this, the more refined your arguments become.  Obviously, the things that appeal most to me don't appeal most to everyone, and it's a process of elimination to find the best arguments to make. 

Besides, there are always flaws in your ideas to be corrected, so having someone trying to find them helps you correct them.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2012, 02:14:54 pm »

You know, all this talk of rubble has given me a great idea:

Know what else should be added to the game? Indefinitely growing hair. A dwarf's hair should continue to grow throughout their lifetime, becoming more and more of a hassle for the dwarf as time goes on. Eventually, they would begin to move slower and constantly fall over as a result of tripping on their beards. They would also work and fight slower and less effectively because of all the hair blocking their vision. The only way to rid them of the excess hair would be to build a barber shop, where the dwarves would all have to go for regular grooming/shaves/haircuts in order to remain their normal productive selves. Then the player would be forced to think of how to deal with of the massive amounts of hair lying around. You wouldn't really be able to do much with it, since it would be worthless and the dwarves would get unhappy thoughts from clothing made of their own hair.
This would make the game a lot more realistic, as hair does not simply start out at its full length from birth, while also adding more depth and challenge to the game as a whole by slowing everything down.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 02:45:08 pm by King DZA »

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2012, 02:32:29 pm »

There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

nidpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2012, 02:33:28 pm »

To put in my two cents, I agree that mining should be more time-consuming than it currently is (or even have mining speed be init-able so NW can play a brutal simulation, and others can play a more aspirational and monumental game every time.) I simply don't see the difference between increasing the time it takes to mine and adding rubble if rubble doesn't have an in-game function. If the time required to mine a square was increased to the amount of time it would take to mine + the amount of time taken to clear the rubble, it would be essentially the same.

I do agree that automating the more mundane processes of the fortress breeds complacency, and am actually happy with the reality of stone clearing right now. If you mine out a huge area underground, you can't use it until you clear out the leavings. It makes perfect sense and feels just fine. Adding in rubble doesn't make this process more or less complex, it just makes it slightly different. You already have to d-b-d a recently cleared room, so how is rubble different?

The way the game is now, rubble would be basically equivalent to rough stone. In our history up until DF's technological cutoff, most masonry was with fieldstone or "rubble" masonry, which basically means uncut blocks, known in DF as rough stone. The use of rubble for concrete is certainly possible, but the current "paved stone" probably covers that well enough without having to involve lime.

The one utility of adding rubble, instead of just increasing mining time, is that it gives a gradation for stone smaller than furniture-size. In the now-75% chance that mining a square doesn't yield a furniture-size boulder, it would still produce something of practical value instead of disappearing from the face of the planet. If rubble was used for things that stone isn't (for example, making stone crafts, rubble masonry, paved roads etc.) that'd be perfectly fine with me.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2012, 02:34:43 pm »

Know what else should be added to the game? Indefinitely growing hair. A dwarf's hair should continue to grow throughout their lifetime, becoming more and more of a hassle for the dwarf as time goes on. Eventually, they would begin to move slower and constantly fall over as a result of tripping on their beards. They would also work and fight slower and less effectively because of all the hair blocking their vision. The only way to rid them of the excess hair would be to build a barber shop, where the dwarves would all have to go for regular grooming/shaves/haircuts in order to remain their normal productive selves. Then the player would be forced to think of how to would deal with of the massive amounts of hair lying around. You wouldn't really be able to do much with it, since it would be worthless and the dwarves would get unhappy thought from clothing made of their own hair.
This would make the game a lot more realistic, as hair does not simply start out at its full length from birth, while also adding more depth and challenge to the game as a whole by slowing everything down.

*high five*

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2012, 02:50:28 pm »

Rubble could act like a contaminant and removed with the cleaning labor. Also, it could be spread or rinsed away with flowing water or magma. Smoothing the floor would remove the rubble contaminate or a dwarf with cleaning labor would eventually clean it up. Build constructions on rubble causes the dwarf to automaticly clean the surface first, the same way they haul stone slightly off of the build site now. I would have no other effects though. I don't think it should be an item that needs to be haul away,like stone.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2012, 02:51:28 pm »

the people for it are all discussing it now, however this thread will be on page 100 by the time we actually get to a point where it makes sense to add rubble with DF's current development rate.
the people against it are considering how it fits into current game/next few updates. Nobody has said they were against it indefinitely, just that it wouldn't work out well in the current state of the game.

The problem is, that argument comes down to saying "it will take time to finish once we start, so we should hold off on starting for as long as possible". 

Toady added in mineral scarcity because it was required for the later 3d veins and caravan arcs to make sense.  Those aren't going to be coming for a while, but Toady knew he had to start somewhere. 

Toady added cities that don't do anything right now, but he added them in because they're going to need to be there for all the other changes to cities like peasants with schedules and the other "Bustling City Arc" changes to make sense.  They won't be there for a while, but Toady had to start somewhere.

We need slower mining, scarcer resources, farming that provides less easy resources and other things eventually to give the game the survivalist challenge it should pose, and while not everything that "makes it make sense" will be here right away, you have to start somewhere.

oh and NW and the other 'for' people, you're starting to sound like elitist, old guard jackasses. Please remember that I, and probably a few others here who are against rubble, have been playing DF since it was two dimensional, so you have absolutely no reason to assume our opinion is somehow less valid then yours.

Call of Duty references I don't approve of aside, I am not trying to say your opinion doesn't matter.  Rather, what I'm trying to do is convey my point of view on the subject, because, as you keep saying, you aren't seeing the benefits that I am obviously capable of seeing, so I obviously need to find a better way to convey my point of view. 

I would love anything and everything simulationist that ADDS TO THE GAME to be put in at some point.
now, everything you said until recently about rubble made it sound stupid, time consuming, and pointless, in the future please actually present all of your thoughts in tandem so as to not sound like a conceited retard. however, now you are actually starting to make sense a bit as you present logical arguments instead of "HURR HURR ADD RUBBLEZ ITZ COOL N RALISTIC".

I'm going to have to ask you to be a little more specific about what you mean by "present all your thoughts in tandem". 

Again, I don't think of this as a "simulationist" or purely "realism" suggestion, and instead see it as a gameplay element that is also realistic and simulationist.  I thought it was an obvious line of thought from my point of view, but not everything that I can see clearly is so easily assumed when people are coming from different points of view.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2012, 03:02:22 pm »

I simply don't see the difference between increasing the time it takes to mine and adding rubble if rubble doesn't have an in-game function. If the time required to mine a square was increased to the amount of time it would take to mine + the amount of time taken to clear the rubble, it would be essentially the same.

There are three major differences between mining being slower and rubble:

1. The length of the hauling path increases the larger the mines themselves become.  This means the delay becomes greater the larger the mines become, making the game "easier" (or rather, one hauler can take away more rubble, requiring a smaller percentage of the available labor be used hauling) at first, and then gradually becoming greater as your mines increase in length.

2. It slows narrow/deep expansion more than it slows shallow/broad expansion.  That is, just digging a straight vertical central staircase straight down to the magma sea is going to take more time waiting for rubble to be cleared than trying to clear out a broad chamber, where a miner can go from area where rubble is cleared to the next area where rubble is cleared in mining. 

3. It provides a greater use for minecarts and gives a greater reward to players who use them to their fullest by letting them more greatly cut down on their labor needs for hauling by rewarding more efficient minecart tracks with faster mining and less dwarves needing to focus upon hauling as your fortress expands.

Adding in rubble doesn't make this process more or less complex, it just makes it slightly different. You already have to d-b-d a recently cleared room, so how is rubble different?

How would rubble be different from most other junk objects you need to clear away if this were fully implemented? Not much. 

The point is that not clearing rubble slows dwarves down, and so would having excessive amounts of any other junk that clogged a hallway.  Rubble would simply be junk that accumulates from mining and needs to be cleaned more regularly. 

The point of rubble is to give a reason for the logistical supply chains to dispose of that rubble, and that means having the penalties for ignoring rubble to force players to actually clean that up.  Otherwise, as thvaz said earlier in FotF, you can just (h)ide everything, and the mine carts have little meaning. 

The way the game is now, rubble would be basically equivalent to rough stone. In our history up until DF's technological cutoff, most masonry was with fieldstone or "rubble" masonry, which basically means uncut blocks, known in DF as rough stone.

Again, the purpose of rubble is not to have "uses" that are beneficial to the player - like sleeping, they are a problem to be overcome.  They exist to be a roadblock in the expansion of a fortress, not to be another resource that gives the player an even easier time of things.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2012, 03:12:15 pm »

Current post count, not including this one.  I just thought it was interesting who are the most interested parties on this topic.

arkenstone 3
Buttery_Mess 1
xeniorn 1
Loud Whispers 3
o_O[WTFace] 1
bluea 1
HiEv 2
bombzero 10
NW_Kohaku 16
Askot Bokbondeler 7
Cellmonk 2
GoldenShadow 3
Mudcrab 5
hermes 1
reality.auditor 1
Sinistar 1
slink 5
Manveru Taruener 1
PoodleIncident 1
Gilihad 1
Kind DZA 1
nidpants 1

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2012, 03:14:32 pm »

bombzero 10
NW_Kohaku 16
Askot Bokbondeler 7
slink 5

o-o

NW_Kohaku 2012

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2012, 03:16:07 pm »

You would not believe how common that misspelling of my username is.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2012, 03:19:38 pm »

Know what else should be added to the game? Indefinitely growing hair. A dwarf's hair should continue to grow throughout their lifetime, becoming more and more of a hassle for the dwarf as time goes on. Eventually, they would begin to move slower and constantly fall over as a result of tripping on their beards. They would also work and fight slower and less effectively because of all the hair blocking their vision. The only way to rid them of the excess hair would be to build a barber shop, where the dwarves would all have to go for regular grooming/shaves/haircuts in order to remain their normal productive selves. Then the player would be forced to think of how to deal with of the massive amounts of hair lying around. You wouldn't really be able to do much with it, since it would be worthless and the dwarves would get unhappy thoughts from clothing made of their own hair.

Hyperbole won't really help your case, it just makes you look stupid, and adds nothing to the discussion. I don't really see how the opposition to this can be so great, especially considering how easy it would be to make optional and tweakable to make everyone happy. And as for all the arguments that only die-hard, long-time players could possibly want something like this, I've only played on and off for a year ish, and this suggestion fits perfectly into what I want out of the game and find enjoyable. Of course not everyone has the same taste, but looking at what appears to be Toady's intention something similar to this is coming down the line, and better then to aim this discussion at how to make this a good feature rather than blatantly refusing anything that'd make the mining aspect harder and more complex.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2012, 03:21:17 pm »

As i have been trying to do with agreeing with the sluice box idea and challenging others to come up with similar things, however apparently according to some people, rubble should have no positive uses and just be annoying clutter that makes the game harder.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2012, 03:24:18 pm »

Hyperbole won't really help your case, it just makes you look stupid, and adds nothing to the discussion.

I'm deeply sorry, I really didn't mean to make myself look like a fool. From now on, I'll try to repeat the same goddamn arguments over and over so that I can look smart like the rest of you.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2012, 03:24:56 pm »

You would not believe how common that misspelling of my username is.
Oops, sorry.  I was concentrating on not typing King DNA.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21