Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Slavery/Slave Trade [Revised]  (Read 3831 times)

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
Re: Slavery/Slave Trade [Revised]
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 12:17:46 am »

For all the upkeep to keep slaves, they would take as much or more than dawrfs. Dont you do this with your dawrfs anyways, give them as little as posible while getting the most work from them as you can?

Ah, but the hit to dwarven happiness from inevitable megaproject deaths would be far lower if you're using slaves. Well, so long as you can keep them under control if they decide its less risky to rise up as opposed to working on my whatever that has claimed so many of their lives.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 03:35:08 pm »

Splint: Dwarves don't butcher elves, goblins, or even trolls or animalmen, no matter how often you burrow dwarves in a burrow with only their corpses and an adjacent butcher's shop. Why should Toady waste his time to make it possible for dwarves to do a different thing that dwarves consider to be so heinous that they could not imagine doing it? It might be fine by you for elves to be whipped by dwarves into cutting down trees or what-have-you, but it isn't for dwarves. And it's not like slavery would be easy to implement.

Masked_Hunter: Who would want to buy a goblin?

I would imagine the other goblins would want them back.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 04:09:54 pm »

That woudl go into them caring enough to send guys to rescue them before resorting to having slavers buy them from you.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 04:26:29 pm »

I love this idea!  I also think Confederate flags should be craftable so they can wave proudly over my guest workers!
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 04:30:32 pm »

Derail time: Fun fact, the confederate flag has 2 stars too many. two states they thought would join didn't.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 04:43:05 pm »

Actually, that's a neat factoid.  Thanks
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 05:04:10 pm »

Should be completely reliant on ethics. If you are playing as a goblin-like civ, then you can have access to slaves (and be in trouble with non-slaving entities). Could use the slaves for labor or war. Of course, dorfs would be sickened by this behavior and siege you for your violation of Sapient Rights!

Slavery should also be a part of Adventure Mode. Dwarven folk would send you on quests to murder slavers and emancipate the slaves. Human and goblin slavers could send you on quests to 'acquire' people. (goblins would probably send you to fetch kiddos instead). Could lead to some interesting situations involving alliances.
I usually think of Armok as the pure essence of FUCK YOU!

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 10:43:06 pm »

Should be completely reliant on ethics. If you are playing as a goblin-like civ, then you can have access to slaves (and be in trouble with non-slaving entities). Could use the slaves for labor or war. Of course, dorfs would be sickened by this behavior and siege you for your violation of Sapient Rights!

Slavery should also be a part of Adventure Mode. Dwarven folk would send you on quests to murder slavers and emancipate the slaves. Human and goblin slavers could send you on quests to 'acquire' people. (goblins would probably send you to fetch kiddos instead). Could lead to some interesting situations involving alliances.
I don't see why dwarfs should be the shining paragon of human rights. I think that it would be more realistic to just have it vary pseudorandomly.
You could even have the option to manipulate ethics through propaganda and influence based on export wealth, but that would be a different suggestion entirely (and there isn't really a big enough ethics framework for it to make a difference).

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 11:23:23 pm »

I actually just saw the first proof of slavery in the latest version: A goblin slave in human turf. Never saw them before now. I was actually tempted to murder everyone else to see if he'd join me.

I don't see why everyone is so hateful towards the  ugly runts. He seemed like quite an agreeable fellow.
I personally think it should be a case of choices really. Should we kill babies because they're annoying resourcesponges? No. Will we? Depends on the player. In essence, what goes down depends on the fortress, rather than the civ or species.

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 03:00:06 am »

I actually just saw the first proof of slavery in the latest version: A goblin slave in human turf. Never saw them before now. I was actually tempted to murder everyone else to see if he'd join me.

I don't see why everyone is so hateful towards the  ugly runts. He seemed like quite an agreeable fellow.
I personally think it should be a case of choices really. Should we kill babies because they're annoying resourcesponges? No. Will we? Depends on the player. In essence, what goes down depends on the fortress, rather than the civ or species.
Things like "should" are part of morality, which is a social construct.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 03:03:49 am »

Whatever. You know what I meant.
Pages: 1 [2]