Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Definable Rock Drop Rate  (Read 4617 times)

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
Definable Rock Drop Rate
« on: May 05, 2012, 01:34:51 pm »

Yet another simple suggestion here. Maybe the percent rate at which rock drops when mining could be affected by an init file option or something, Toady?

I, for one, enjoy having impossibly ludicrous amounts of rock to fiddle with.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Definable Rock Drop Rate
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 01:39:50 pm »

I think a raw option would be better.  That would allow to have different rock drop rates per rock. Though that might have a speed/Ram use impact.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 02:12:30 pm »

You have a point, actually.
Maybe a hybrid of both for simplicity, with the default for each individual stone being 100% and the global setting being 25%?
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 02:21:08 pm »

That seems sensible enough.

Maybe there'd be different init settings for gems, stones,and so forth, so that you could also have gems sometimes not drop if you so chose.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 02:41:37 pm »

And maybe an option to make it skill based for different types.  I like the idea of ore being skill independant (ore is usually crushed before smelting anyways), but gems requring skill to get them out intact.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 02:44:19 pm »

Maybe something like BY_SKILL:X for that kind of stuff, where BY_SKILL indicates the old system and X is a modifier to that chance? E.g. BY_SKILL:200 would be twice as often as the current, skill-based system, and BY_SKILL:25 would be 1/4 as often...probably/possibly modified by the .init options, again.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 04:28:04 pm »

Or you could just have two numbers that define the range of percentages.

[ORE_BY_SKILL:10:50]  Means dabblers have a 10% chance, and legendary +5 has a 50% chance, with a linear progression between them. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 06:37:23 am »

Yes please Mr. Toady One.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 12:31:28 pm »

I like the range between legendary and dabbling suggested by NW_Kohaku.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 01:56:54 pm »

Since gems will have 100% drop, would it be possible to define a rock as a gem? Or do something like extract ores from gems? 
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 07:53:38 pm »

Maybe the percent rate at which rock drops when mining could be affected by an init file option or something, Toady?

I think a raw option would be better.

What about both? Have an init setting for rock drop, an option to do it in the raws, then set an override init setting to specify which you would use.

For the micromanager and escaped lunatic alike.

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 08:07:43 pm »

Or you could just have two numbers that define the range of percentages.

[ORE_BY_SKILL:10:50]  Means dabblers have a 10% chance, and legendary +5 has a 50% chance, with a linear progression between them.
That seems a bit low for a 15+5 skill. The way I see it, each skill level should equal 5 present drop rate.
Using that rate it would be [ORE_BY_SKILL:5:100].
A legendary super saiyan +5 should always be able to get there rock.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human dwarven stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein Urist McStein

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 10:07:59 pm »

I don't think he meant 10:50 to be the default, just an example of how his system could be used to give any desired behavior.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 10:11:31 pm »

This could also be used to make rocks that almost NEVER drop stones.  This could be useful for something like sand, sandstone, or other very brittle stuff that's unlikely to ever actually drop anything you could build walls/crafts/blocks and the like with.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Evile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 10:13:29 pm »

I think 2 different ways to mine would be better - you might order dwarves to dig for space or for rocks. With the skill of the dvarf to determine the speed at which mining would take place.
Pages: [1] 2