Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: TF 2 Bay12 Team Tourney! Recruiting Players!  (Read 4885 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
TF 2 Bay12 Team Tourney! Recruiting Players!
« on: May 05, 2012, 01:08:25 pm »

I just got into TF 2 the other day, and its a great/fun game and since so many people from B12 play it why don't we hold a sort of team tournament between different teams. Players can sign up for separate teams, but I'll balance them if need be, so we have an even number of players on each team. Anyway the entire idea of the tournament is that each of those teams would face off against each other, and every time they won a game against another team they'd score one point, and move on to the next round. The team with the most points when all the rounds are finished would be the winner of the tournament, which we could of course hold several times over if you guys want. After each round the players in the game will be awarded various things, such as Team MVP, Most Kills, and such with some of those awarding that team more points as well.

Each team will need someone to record their sessions, and then send those videos to whoever chooses to put the videos on their Youtube channel. So with that said is anyone interested?

Spoiler: Team Creation (click to show/hide)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: TF 2 Bay12 Team Tourney! Recruiting Players!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 01:49:48 pm »

I like the idea, and would like to take part in it. I do not know, however, if lag would be a problem for me since it's been ages since I've played in a server outside my country.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 02:22:23 pm »

Generally playing outside your country = horrendous lag issues.

That said you can record demos of games without having to resort to youtube, there is a thing ingame to do it with (not the thing that records your last life).

Comp tf2 is generally played in 2 ways: 6v6 limits being 1 medic, 1 demo, 1 heavy and 2 of anything else or highlander which is 9v9, 1 of each class.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 07:06:15 pm »

It doesn't have to be uploaded to Youtube just somewhere so everyone can watch the videos of the rounds.

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 01:28:41 pm »

Will we be running a weapon whitelist, or a blacklist? Either way, I could compose it. Max players per team should be 9, and restricted to the highlander format. 7 or less players should more similar to a 6v6. What system will you use for scoring on attack/defend or payload maps? Where will the server be? Who will host it? An award for most kills is an absolutely terrible idea. It doesn't really matter who records the demo, aside from how powerful their computer is.

If the above concerns are addressed, I'm in as an EU demo.
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 01:51:03 pm »

Will we be running a weapon whitelist, or a blacklist? If there's a general consensus from players then yes
What system will you use for scoring on attack/defend or payload maps? 1 point per checkpoint captured for attackers, and 1 point per checkpoint defended by defenders
Where will the server be? Depends on who decides to host the server for the games
Who will host it? Wanted to get some people in on this first, but haven't got one yet. If need be I may be able to host a server
An award for most kills is an absolutely terrible idea. Yeah just a suggestion for ways to award points
Answers in red

jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 04:05:58 pm »

For comp play you can get proper server configs that arent to hard to use, you just have to book a server with them on, servers are available to book though whichever group is running comp tf2 in your area (for free), generally the config will also include an item whitelist that can be turned on/off.

Points are scored in 5 point maps by wins, generally played first to 5 for 6v6 and first to 3 for highlander, or to 30 mins, whichever comes first, other maps like payloads and gravel pit use a config that records when points are capped and how many, so if team 1 gets the cart past 3 points on badwater then team 2 gets it past the 4th cap point, team 2 wins without having to get it to the end of the map. 
  Maps like this are usually played ABBA, so first you attack, then defend, then defend, then attack again.

Thats how it works here in australia anyway.

Ohh, and unless you are running an absolute beast of a setup, you wont be able to host the server with 18 internationals playing, just book a proper one.  Just make sure it hasnt got a ping kicker.

Ill happily play if this gets off the ground.

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 08:28:34 pm »

I'm interested. But only if it's highlander.

(I'm a pubby for life.)

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 06:54:19 am »

Will we be running a weapon whitelist, or a blacklist? I was asking which one of the two we were using, some weapons are just game breaking in comp.
What system will you use for scoring on attack/defend or payload maps? That's a terrible system, do it by time defended. If it isn't mirrored, it's in favor of Blu.
Answers in red
Replies in red.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 07:13:42 am »

Interested. Although I'm prolly a bit rusty by now.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 10:03:01 am »

interested, haven't played since the F2P update though
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 10:23:43 am »

Seeing as it's starting to get hot enough for my computer to overheat, I'm interested in joining this tourney. TF2 is one of the more... advanced games I can play that won't overheat my computer terribly, and let me tell you, it's a whole different game at 640x480.

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 10:57:45 am »

I'm going to assume that nobody here wants too many things blacklisted, so I won't ban too many things in my proposed one. My current proposal for the blacklist:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Seeing as it's starting to get hot enough for my computer to overheat, I'm interested in joining this tourney. TF2 is one of the more... advanced games I can play that won't overheat my computer terribly, and let me tell you, it's a whole different game at 640x480.
Have you tried Chris' highframes or Chris' maxframes? It may be ugly, but it really helps.

jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 12:14:04 pm »

Id say leave in the vitasaw, you have to use the crossbow for it to give the set bonus, and thats a big enough nerf from the needlegun.  Huntsman is generally considered ok for comp as well, as a pro gun sniper is always better, though the machinima is always banned in comp.  Fists of steel and tomislav for heavy get banned in comp, as do all the polycount hats that gave set bonuses (sniper that cant be headshotted, 10% faster pyro etc.)

Oh, and THE ENFORCER IS ALWAYS BANNED.

Really its all up to you but for my 2 cents add the enforcer and tomislav to the list for sure as they are both fairly unbalanced for comp play.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 12:23:23 pm »

I'm okay with the blacklist, concerning the pyro at least, as it's the one I play on playing. Fortunately I have the regular flare to use in the reserve shooter's place. And there is always the default shotgun.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: [1] 2