Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dorf Science: Weaponize the Local Undead  (Read 2307 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Dorf Science: Weaponize the Local Undead
« on: May 03, 2012, 11:15:57 pm »

Something I've been wondering about. Evil biomes will continuously reanimate the fallen, yes?
And they don't re-animate if the corpse is in a different, non-evil part of your map?

So, what if you could use the corpses as a defense feature... a very lame one, probably, but still.
1) Keep a bunch of corpses, hair, shells, dismembered body parts, etc. in the non-evil part of your map.
2) When a siege hits, use a remotely-triggered system to move all of the body parts into the evil zone.
3) Allow your undead army to draw fire from sieging enemies.

Step two is the sciency part... how to move corpses from point a to point b when point b has enemies nearby? Some ideas...
-keep the corpses in an overground reservoir of some kind, with a removable/openable bottom.
-- Have several of these, so that they can be dispatched to various sectors of the map as needed.
-utilize water power: release a flow of water when desired, pushing undrownable corpses into the combat zone.
-bridge-a-pults... I forget, do those still work...? It would be an awe-inspiring picture though. The Goblin hordes walk towards the fortress, when suddenly a bunch of hair and shells and bones and crap gets tossed at them... and then suddenly comes to life and starts attacking.  8)
-cage traps attached to levers will do something equivalent, but isn't very scientific...
-create ground-level rooms with doors/floodgates attached to levers. Dump corpses/etc. into them from above (use one level of stairs), unleash the horde when the other horde shows up.

And remember, the more dangerous the undead you release, the better. Apparently undead elephants are flippin' fierce...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:17:56 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Vic Romano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dorf Science: Weaponize the Local Undead
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 11:38:59 pm »

Unfortunately Bridge Catapults are too random for this to efficiently whip hair at goblins. Let us know what you try though.

Edit: You know what? They aren't really too random, but you would have to know exactly where the evil biome line is.  They fire short range and unpredictably, but as long as you have plenty of dead bits to start with some of them should find their way onto the evil biome. The ones that don't land in the evil biome could just be recollected. Plus it's a lot easier than pressurizing all that water.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:43:51 pm by Vic Romano »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 12:45:58 am »

...This will be an excellent and highly entertaining use for minecarts once they're introduced. Load a bunch of carts with body parts in the non-undead part of the map at the top of a tall ramp, set so that they can't roll down, then when enemies appear pull a lever to let the carts automatically run down at them, ramming them and spraying corpses on them, which soon afterwards stand up and assault the battered and confused foes! Brilliant!
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 07:21:30 am »

I've fallen in love with op's mind.  ;D
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 07:41:58 am »

Because he's totally the first guy to think about weaponizing the undead.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 08:07:50 am »

Because he's totally the first guy to think about weaponizing the undead.

The first I've read so he gets the credit  8)

Batdwarf Forever !

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 08:16:09 am »

I think attempts at weaponising anything is a ground state of being for DF fourm goer's.

That and you can easily see other threads with earlyer dates.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 08:25:16 am »

Okay okay I'll hate op forever and ever.  ::)

Batdwarf Forever !

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 01:26:06 pm »

*Cough*

Moose pit.

Though I'm not going to ever lower the bridge until I'm prepared to send my fort into oblivion. The undead are serious business in evil biomes.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 01:38:59 pm »

Okay okay I'll hate op forever and ever.  ::)

oh god can't stop laughing...
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 01:54:07 pm »

Easy to do, if you want a vampire fort.

Undead are hostile to life. Vampires are not living. Thus, you can have a fortress filled full of all kinds of undead horrors, roaming about your halls and meeting rooms, completely ignoring your vampire dwarves.

Any invaders will be set upon and eaten by the zombie hordes.

The other method is standard pit 'o doom design. You can fill the pit 'o doom with anything you want. 50z level drop onto solid granite? Magma? Water? Spikes? Barracks full of legendary axedwarves? Zombies? Anything works really.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 02:13:48 pm »

Any invaders migrants will be set upon and eaten by the zombie hordes.
ftfyvmty

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 02:25:24 pm »

can you have your entire fort be vamps and not lose?
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 02:31:11 pm »

Yes.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 02:37:43 pm »

yes and no.

your vampires will need booze, but won't drink it. this will cause horrible, horrible problems in terms of them gradually slowing down more and more at everything. they won't die from it, but they will get really, really, *really* slow.

but no, the game won't end - it's not like losing every single dwarf in your fortress.
Pages: [1] 2